Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Swotr players guide book

TopHat_
02.24.2012 , 12:46 PM | #11
Quote:
"Guide Books" for MMOs are a waste of money, I can guarantee you that "guide book" was out of date a month ago, at least.
Maybe that particular book is out of date, but as I learn more about this game, I feel like there are a lot of core concepts that won't change -- or at least not enough to render a description useless.

I don't mind using dedicated sites or wikis looking for quest tips, checking the stats on something, and other micro-level info. But really, I spend enough time staring at a screen actually playing the game. It'd be nice to read some basic stuff offline, in print, outside in the sun and fresh air.

Here are some examples of things I've slowly learned that could've been in a manual or basic guide:
  • list of planets and recommended levels
  • XP and rested XP / rest zones (e.g. you get more XP if you battle "at your level")
  • types of quests (story, planet, bonus, flashpoints)
  • types of space missions
  • companion skill types
  • how to manage inventory and modify items
  • force/heat/ammo
  • meaning of primary stats; what stuff like alacrity means

I realize there are some fantastic starter threads. Kudos to the people who worked so hard to make them. I'd just rather have the option to read that kind of stuff offline.

VanorDM
02.24.2012 , 01:25 PM | #12
If it's the one I think it is, a friend of mine owns it.

It's not to bad actually. There's a number of things in it that are no longer true, but the maps and locations haven't changed so that can be useful.

Yes there's google, but that means either having a 2nd machine or alt-tabbing out of SWTOR.

joenewbie
07.18.2013 , 12:39 PM | #13
Actually the best type of guide is something that is kept current like a wiki page. There are several out there for SW:TOR just look around as some are better than others and some are better kept up than others, although there is always some good information to be gleaned from even the older ones occasionally.
Roll your alts first, make the mistakes that teach you lessons, then roll your main and enjoy the ride.