Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why The Light Side is More Powerful

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why The Light Side is More Powerful

SithKoriandr
07.14.2013 , 05:19 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Girdeux View Post
Yes. its pretty well certain that Luke beat Vader to using the dark side.

"He rushed to his father with a frenzy he'd never known.
Nor had Vader. The gladiators battled fiercely, sparks
flying from the clash of their radiant weapons, but it was
soon evident that the advantage was all Luke's. And he was
pressing it. They locked swords, body to body. When Luke
pushed Vader back to break the clinch, the Dark Lord hit his
head on an over-hanging beam in the cramped space. He
stumbled backward even farther, out of the low-hanging area.
Luke pursued him relentlessly.

blow upon blow, Luke forced Vader to retreat - back, onto
the bridge that crossed the vast, seemingly bottomless shaft
to the power core. Each stroke of Luke's saber pummeled
Vader, like accusations, like screams, like shards of hate.

The Dark Lord was driven to his knees. He raised his blade
to block yet another onslaught - and Luke slashed Vader's
right hand off at the wrist."
I didn't deny it o.O So what are you trying to say? You had the not as well trained force user (Luke) using the dark side to overpower the well trained in the the force, user (Vader).

Dark side = quicker power
Light side = greater power
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Kaisernick
07.14.2013 , 05:24 PM | #32
according to G cannon the dark side is quicker which i believe may mean they acquire power faster than jedi, but in the end jedi can become just as powerful as sith but take a longer and calmer path

Dominoris
07.16.2013 , 08:40 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I didn't deny it o.O So what are you trying to say? You had the not as well trained force user (Luke) using the dark side to overpower the well trained in the the force, user (Vader).

Dark side = quicker power
Light side = greater power
... who was also using the Dark Side.

Since both are using the Dark Side, you can effectively remove that from both sides of the equation.
IF Untrained Dark Side Luke beat Trained Dark Side Vader
THEN Untrained Luke beat Trained Vader.
The only thing you can deduce is that when using similar Force, Luke is better than Vader.

However in the earlier fights, Light Side Luke lost to Dark Side Vader. The only change between the two situations is whether or not Luke used the Dark Side of the Force.
Light Side Luke = loss, Dark Side Luke= win.
Since Luke is common to both, you can remove him from the equations as well.
Light Side = lose. Dark Side = win.

It is cannon that the dark side is stronger. That does not make it preferable. It means the light has to fight harder. It is not the easy path. We can debate wheter it is the better path if you wish but Dark Side is more powerful than Light. The whole underdog vs the overwhelming regime looses its foundation otherwise. Episodes IV - VI was a David vs Goliath story, after all. For the little guy to win he has to be the little guy.
Clones are people two.

studiablo
07.16.2013 , 07:02 PM | #34
I am making my Jedi dark, he is level 10 and already has red eyes.

Is this going to work out for me?

Only thing I have noticed is I can not use a few lightsabers.

JediElf
07.18.2013 , 01:58 PM | #35
What's interesting to me, is that before Skywalker reformed the Jedi, things like love and compassion were also considered the 'Dark Side'. Heck, any form of emotional attachment or affection could corrupt a Jedi almost completely. it's as if there own code was driving them slowly mad, cutting them off from the most basic of feelings and attachments. It's no wonder they don't fear death, they don't have life...in a way.

A Sith might have a short life and be killed by his own kind (or his own students) but he also has the chance to fall in love, have children, and also have lifelong friends. A Jedi can not have any of those things, and if they do, they either fall, go mad, or throw the loved one away, and deny there existence *cough Theron Shan cough*.

You can take the Sith code at face value, the pre Skywalker Jedi code however, well, so often I've been told it has to be 'interpreted'.

I find that interesting.
Beware the Jawa Sith!
SGRA FAQ! Check it out!

DARTHOSIRUS
07.18.2013 , 02:26 PM | #36
Dark side= quick power
light side= power in time without negative side effects

Say an athlete wants to get a super ripped body fast. He decides to take steroids and transforms his body in a month. Steroids have bad side effects though as does using the dark side of the force.

If he use natural supplements and whey protein it might take longer to get the body but he wont be susceptible to mood swings, baldness, cancer etc.

I wouldn't say either side is more powerful. They both have pros and cons. It all comes down to the user. The user with a higher mido count who is better trained will be more powerful regardless of his methods.

If the user goes down the path of the darkside his power will grow quicker. If he choses lightside his power will take considerably longer to develop. I think in the area between apprentice and master is where the darkside especially shines, and a low/midlevel darksider will most times utterly destroy their lightside counterparts. At mastery level its more balanced.

frankiejo
07.18.2013 , 02:37 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by DARTHOSIRUS View Post
Dark side= quick power
light side= power in time without negative side effects

Say an athlete wants to get a super ripped body fast. He decides to take steroids and transforms his body in a month. Steroids have bad side effects though as does using the dark side of the force.

If he use natural supplements and whey protein it might take longer to get the body but he wont be susceptible to mood swings, baldness, cancer etc.

I wouldn't say either side is more powerful. They both have pros and cons. It all comes down to the user. The user with a higher mido count who is better trained will be more powerful regardless of his methods.

If the user goes down the path of the darkside his power will grow quicker. If he choses lightside his power will take considerably longer to develop. I think in the area between apprentice and master is where the darkside especially shines, and a low/midlevel darksider will most times utterly destroy their lightside counterparts. At mastery level its more balanced.
how would you respond to the postulate that even a master Jedi can increase his powers beyond his current maximum, for a short period of time, by using the dark side?
Bergeron Colony
Khaeldar - Marauder
Beth'adone - Operative
P-Chloride - Sorcerer

DARTHOSIRUS
07.18.2013 , 03:35 PM | #38
I would agree. After all more knowledge is more power.

That goes for both sides.

RisenDragon
07.19.2013 , 03:28 AM | #39
I like the comment stated earlier: this is like asking if the Force is stronger than the Force.

I am personally of the philosophy that the Force is the Force, and it acts and moves around the galaxy without regard to 'Light' or 'Dark' sides.

In the previous example where Luke was channeling the Dark Side to defeat Vader- he was simply channeling more force into himself than Vader was. This has nothing to do with the strength of the so-called Dark Side, and everything to do with what exactly the people were doing at the time. (In this case, insticntively reaching for power, and retreating feebly respectively.)

You see an opposite example in Episode III in the fight of Yoda vs Palpatine, when Sidious throws Force Lightining at Yoda. Force Lightning is regarded as the signature Dark Side mastery technique, as it takes a level of control and knowledge to attain. Yoda then uses his own knowledge of the Force to contain and harness that technique to his own purposes (turning it into a Telekenetic Wave, I believe)- The 'Dark' lost to the 'Light.' But in this case it was more of a case of whose knowlege and mastery of the Force itself was greater than the other's- and the conclusion of the fight showed that Palpatine and Yoda were (more-or-less) on equal footing in that regard, in my opinion.

Alternatively, what if Darth Vader had been able to tap into Mace Windu's Vaapad combat style when fighting the Rage-empowered Luke Skywalker? Or if Yoda had known how to/ been willing to use Force Drain during his fight with Palpatine? Those fights would have been much different, don't you think?

The use of the Force, and the effectiveness of such use has very little- if anything- to do with concepts of 'Light' or 'Dark' and everything to do with how adept the user is in manipulating the Force itself.

Just my opinion.

TalonVII
07.19.2013 , 07:43 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by frankiejo View Post
how would you respond to the postulate that even a master Jedi can increase his powers beyond his current maximum, for a short period of time, by using the dark side?
He could BUT, many of the light side powers, require calm and tranquility to use them effectively. He could completely disrupt many of his abilities because he got angry.

Much of the light side powers require a monk-like zen calm to reach maximum potential. Sith on the other hand require heavy emotions to fuel their power. All about how you channel the force.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquizitor