Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Was Ashara originally intended to be LS/DS like Jaesa?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Was Ashara originally intended to be LS/DS like Jaesa?

Kaisernick
07.14.2013 , 05:21 PM | #11
The whole inquisitor story was a surprise to me at how bad it turned out and sort of ironic as i found the first chapter of the consular story to be boring and tedious yet chapter 2 and 3 more than made up for it, yes the inq seems to go downhill.

Now this is only from what i have read on the forums but i believe that the original writer for the story quit half way and someone else took over (again only seen people say that on forums so no proof) but my beleive is that as we all know the inquisitor story was supposed to be inspired by palpatine and i think Ashara was our Anikan, she is a goodie goodie jedi who we start to corrupt but she resists and i think the more the story went on the more dark she was supposed to become and eventually turn.

The lack of content with Xalex also makes no sense as i saw pics of him during the very early development of the game so it make me wonder why when you do get him u have about 4 convos at beast.

Plus i also im not a fan of psycho jessa but Ashara could have easily been a more calm yet dark jedi.

Quellryloth
07.14.2013 , 07:26 PM | #12
I think it's less a problem with Ashara than with the game's presentation of Light and Dark. It's true that the Taris storyline is messed up -- you can get some bizarre outcomes -- but beyond that, there is nothing wrong with Ashara. She does fall to the Dark Side; you can see it in the various conversations like the one where she concludes that "peace is a lie." She keeps saying that she is still a Jedi to reassure herself, but most Jedi (even open-minded ones) laugh at her when she says that.

What Ashara does not do is become a murderous psychopath. She is not a Jedi when it comes to pride, emotion, peace, etc., but she doesn't do evil for the sake of being evil. The reason it doesn't feel like she has fallen is that the vast majority of the Dark Side choices in this game are Evil with a capital E -- basically Saturday morning cartoon villain stuff. When the situation is more sophisticated than that (e.g. the Mother on Belsavis), she is happy with the Dark Side choice. So no, I don't think she was intended to be like Jaesa, especially since the people who want an apprentice that kills without mercy or remorse get Xalek.

TheGreatSatan
07.16.2013 , 12:50 PM | #13
What bugs me is that neither of my damned apprentices can wear hats. It's bad enough that, as a Twi'lek, I am damned to a lack of awesome hoods and Sith masks for all eternity, but to give me not one, but TWO companions who suffer the same fate is just a low blow.

Also, yeah, I'm not terribly fond of Ashara. I thought she was awesome at first, but I really got sick of her delusions (and the fact that there are practically no companion gifts she likes if you're female).

It's too bad Xalek wasn't more interesting. A quiet, tough-guy type is fine for a background character, but compared to every other companion I've encountered, he's just so flat. The way you get to know your companions and their stories is talking to them, and "talking" is explicitly listed as something Xalek dislikes.

So, as a Sith Inquisitor I am forever stuck with Silent Sam and Moaning Myrtle for apprentices, neither of which, I might add, can wear hats.

frankiejo
07.16.2013 , 12:59 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
What bugs me is that neither of my damned apprentices can wear hats. It's bad enough that, as a Twi'lek, I am damned to a lack of awesome hoods and Sith masks for all eternity, but to give me not one, but TWO companions who suffer the same fate is just a low blow.

Also, yeah, I'm not terribly fond of Ashara. I thought she was awesome at first, but I really got sick of her delusions (and the fact that there are practically no companion gifts she likes if you're female).

It's too bad Xalek wasn't more interesting. A quiet, tough-guy type is fine for a background character, but compared to every other companion I've encountered, he's just so flat. The way you get to know your companions and their stories is talking to them, and "talking" is explicitly listed as something Xalek dislikes.

So, as a Sith Inquisitor I am forever stuck with Silent Sam and Moaning Myrtle for apprentices, neither of which, I might add, can wear hats.
But you get Andronikos Revel, who is the voice of Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop, making him the coolest character in the game by default.
Bergeron Colony
Khaeldar - Marauder
Beth'adone - Operative
P-Chloride - Sorcerer

Jaigen
07.16.2013 , 02:06 PM | #15
Pragmatical villainy FTW. DS jeassa is killing puppies for the lulz . while ls Jeassa is a naive waif. For the most part DS is chaotic stupid while LS is bad ***. Ashara is a LS sith now deal with because she is so far the best force using npc in the game.

frankiejo
07.16.2013 , 02:09 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Jaigen View Post
Pragmatical villainy FTW. DS jeassa is killing puppies for the lulz . while ls Jeassa is a naive waif. For the most part DS is chaotic stupid while LS is bad ***. Ashara is a LS sith now deal with because she is so far the best force using npc in the game.
You seriously think most LS is ******? Most LS decisions are *********** ridiculous and impractical.
Bergeron Colony
Khaeldar - Marauder
Beth'adone - Operative
P-Chloride - Sorcerer

xxforcardassia
07.16.2013 , 02:29 PM | #17
Next to Vette, Ashara is probably one of my favorite companions in the game. I'm glad she's the way she is, it makes her interesting and while I think it would be fun to be able to twist her further via convos, she does well enough on her own. Sure it's hard to get affection with her if you're a female SI, but I still found her convos and story to be interesting and I'm still wishing I could have learned more about her past and, hell, go with her when she goes to talk to the Jedi.

Jaesa, to me, is simply the TOR version (and BW's way of adding) Bastula Shan into the game. I have LS Jaesa on my SW and while I do like her, for every conversation I sat there thinking of Bastila from the original KotOR and even from what I've heard about DS Jaesa, it still reminds me of Bastila, just amplified.

That said, I'll take Ashara over Jaesa any day. She's more interesting and less cookie-cutterish.

Kajuratus
07.16.2013 , 04:57 PM | #18
I don't really care about Jaesa becoming a psycho if you're a DS character, its the fact that my warrior COULD turn her which makes the storyline better, and with the inquisitor being able to manipulate Ashara throughout the Taris storyline she does seem a little unfinished. And to all those people who say that Ashara is a better fleshed out character than Jaesa because she only has one personality, you'd be saying the same thing about Jaesa if she couldn't be turned. Yes Ashara's character may be well written... but what about my characters personality? Because as light as I dare to go as a dark character (I hit the dark 3 mark at the end of chapter 3) my sorcerer would never welcome this failed Jedi upon his ship after Taris. (Yes, lightsiders probably wouldn't want to accept Xalek onto their ship either, but they've got no choice, you've got to appear strong in the eyes of the dark council )
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
One thing we have stressed before and one thing we will continue to do with the Cartel Market is to use it for customization and convenience options. -eric
I fear for hood toggle

Berjiz
07.16.2013 , 05:06 PM | #19
I think Ashara mostly suffers from bad writing. She is one of the more interesting characathers because she is grey, she wants to improve the universe but doesn't mind killing some people to do it. She also strongly disaggre with the jedi code.

But the thing is that she seems kinda schizofrenic and with mental problems because she says so much weird stuff from time to time. If she would just stop calling herself jedi and admit working with a sith lord and having a decent reason for doing so she would seem much more reasonable. It always annoys me when she jumps around screaming that she is a jedi while running her red saber through the chest of some poor jedi.

TheGreatSatan
07.16.2013 , 05:33 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by frankiejo View Post
But you get Andronikos Revel, who is the voice of Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop, making him the coolest character in the game by default.
True. He was also Mugen in Samurai Champloo, among many other things.

I also just remembered that Khem Vahl can't wear hats either.

Gah.