[BUG] Missing target indicator in warzones

Sharee

Issue: The small arrow over the head of a target that is selected (red for enemy, green for friendly) is not showing in warzones.

- Only character affected by this bug is my sniper, other (8) characters see the target indicator without problems

- This bug only appears inside a warzone. Before and after joining warzone (in a PVE area) the target indicators shows fine(without touching any UI settings).

- resetting UI(ctrl-U twice)/relogging/resetting the PC has no effect.

- There is also an issue i suspect is related(since it also appears only for the sniper, and only in warzones): For all other characters, with nameplate-on-self disabled, selecting myself as target by clicking on my portrait makes the character's name appear over it's head. For the sniper inside a warzone, it does not.

• Dev Post

Hi folks,

We've been seeing reports of this nature and are investigating them.

To assist, can you please double check your UI preferences on the affected characters and compare them to those that do not have the issue? There may be a bug with one of the toggles, for instance.

Additionally, it appears that this only happens after an area transition (such as into a Warzone or Flashpoint), but we'd like to hear any additional details you can provide. For instance, does the arrow come back after you leave the instance?

Any other details would be appreciated. Thank you.

I've had this issue happen to all of my characters (and I have quite a few). Sometimes it's after loading into an instance (like flashpoints). Sometimes it's happened after entering an open world group/class instance with no load time. Sometimes it's open world. Sometimes it's after cinematics. Sometimes it's while tabbing between different mobs. Targeting just..breaks. The circle on the ground is still there, but in a crowd with AoE's and ground targeting graphics it's very hard to see.

I've tried everything from resetting the UI, unchecking/rechecking the options, logging to character select, and the only thing that has worked for me - a complete game restart.

Edit: My experiences have been in open world, not warzones.

Edited by PorsaLindahl
Additional info

This is not new. It has happened to me dozens of times over the last several months, and it is not isolated to warzones, as I never do them.

For me, when it happens, it's usually following an instance change.

Unfortunately, it happens rarely enough that I don't have any real data to help with, other than what I stated above.

I have this happen fairly frequently when I change instances. It happens on all my toons.

Strangely enough, it does not happen on my wife's computer. Because of this, when we group and one of us needs to change instance, I have her change.

A while back I cranked up the AA graphics setting in SWTOR config (my graphics card is a GTX 560Ti) and for a little while it seemed like the problem was no longer happening but I am seeing it again. I haven't noticed this problem at all in warzone.

Edited by funkiestj

Hi folks,

We've been seeing reports of this nature and are investigating them.

To assist, can you please double check your UI preferences on the affected characters and compare them to those that do not have the issue? There may be a bug with one of the toggles, for instance.

Additionally, it appears that this only happens after an area transition (such as into a Warzone or Flashpoint), but we'd like to hear any additional details you can provide. For instance, does the arrow come back after you leave the instance?

Any other details would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have one additional bit of information.

When this issue happens to my sniper inside a warzone, selecting a target (for instance friendly player), then doing ctrl-U twice makes the selection arrow appear over the selectet target's head - however it permanently stays over his head even if i select a different target after.

Picture: http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/854/8ngo.jpg

I targeted Sicatra, CTRL-U twice, then selected Shydog. Arrow remained over Sicatra's head.

To answer your questions:

- I am fairly sure preferences are the same between affected and non-affected characters however i will try to determine exactly whether this is the case and post later.

- this only happens after entering a warzone, and only lasts while inside. Leaving the instance makes the arrow come back and behave normally. I did not check whether this also happens entering a different instance than a warzone (like a flashpoint). Will check.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[EDIT] Checked the flashpoint, with a somewhat surprising result

1, standing on dromund kaas, target indicator arrow works

2, took shuttle to fleet. target indicator stopped working (while still on fleet, in front of black talon entrance)

3, entered black talon, target indicator started working again

4, exited the flashpoint, target indicator stopped working.

From then on i entered/exited the flashpoint multiple times and the indicator consistently worked inside the flashpoint and didn't work outside the flashpoint(on the fleet)

So this is definitely not just warzone-related.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[EDIT2] The issue can be temporarily fixed by quitting the game and relaunching it

1, stand on the fleet in front of black talon entrance. Target indicator does not work

2, close game (alt-F4)

3, enter game. Target indicator works (still on the fleet in front of BT entrance)

4, enter flashpoint. Indicator works

5, exit flashpoint. Indicator stops working.

Edited by Sharee

Update to my previous post:

This has happened to a new character every time I changed planet instances on Tython, which I did 4 times - each resulting in targeting issues. Had to completely reload the game to fix it. Seems that instance changing/transitioning is the key cause in this case.

This bug just started happening to me recently with newly created characters. Target arrow not showing up in wazones on only some of my characters. Reloading the UI in a warzone when there's not targeting arrow will sometimes put a targeting arrow over another player and won't switch even though your target focus switches.

I've repaired SWTOR numerous times now because I'm also getting the abilities not firing off when pressed bug which leads you to timing out and getting kicked out of warzones(since you see the button showing it's being pressed on Return to MedCenter but not doing anything). Not sure these 2 bugs go hand in hand, but they started happening somewhat in the same timeframe for me(recently).

Edited by NastyPiggy

• 3 weeks later...

I'm posting here for a guild mate who is preferred and unable to post on the forums.

I have test this on all my original characters I can go in and out of WZ/GF and not lose the Target arrow. But all my NEW character (created in last few days) all seem to be effected by this They all lose target arrows the moment they enter GF or WZ and they regain the target arrow's they moment they leave WZ/GF.

Would seem if you skipping the cut scenes on the character affected by this bug it happens ,but if you let the scene play out the arrows remember. so far every time i let the cut scenes play out the target arrow remained and every time I Skipped the cut scenes the arrow disappeared. At lest for WZ GF it still happens That or this could just be coincidence so

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
This bug has been happening to me for a VERY long time. TOO long in fact. I've been playing since Early Access and feel like it was around from the beginning. As of late, I've been getting this bug almost about 90% every time I exit a warzone. It's beyond annoying at this point. But hey, I guess my subscription $ is busy fueling the cartel market item development, huh?