Jump is still broken

Ayelinna

Whew! That's totally game-breaking. Time to uninstall and cancel my sub! :rolleyes:

OK, yeah, we can ridicule them for saying they would fix it, then putting it in the patch notes, and then not fixing it. But to go a micron beyond that is pretty weak on our part.

Edited by DarthTHC

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whew! That's totally game-breaking. Time to uninstall and cancel my sub! :rolleyes:

OK, yeah, we can ridicule them for saying they would fix it, then putting it in the patch notes, and then not fixing it. But to go a micron beyond that is pretty weak on our part.

One can easily say it's just fuel for the fire for the haters, but it's also the little things that help defining a better game experience. Even the smallest details can be just as important, and with that you would think that when Bioware notices it and claim they fixed it, but it turns out they didn't, something's wrong with how they prioritize.

One can easily say it's just fuel for the fire for the haters, but it's also the little things that help defining a better game experience. Even the smallest details can be just as important, and with that you would think that when Bioware notices it and claim they fixed it, but it turns out they didn't, something's wrong with how they prioritize.

As a software development project manager for approaching 20 years, I don't see anything wrong with how they prioritize. Game-breaking bugs are very rare and when they happen, they get hot-fixed quickly and correctly. I wish my own development team was as good as this game's team in that regard.

Bugs like this jumping one are the lowest of the low in severity and priority.

On the flip side, as a PM, I do have a problem with how they communicate and validate bug fixes, especially for small ones like this. They should never have called this out as fixed in the patch notes.

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your reports a with regards to jumping animation still having issues after using a vehicle or unsheathing some weapons. For now, we've removed the patch note and are sorry for the inconvenience!

When there's more information with regards to a fix for this issue, we'll get it posted.

:ph_thank_you:

As a software development project manager for approaching 20 years, I don't see anything wrong with how they prioritize. Game-breaking bugs are very rare and when they happen, they get hot-fixed quickly and correctly. I wish my own development team was as good as this game's team in that regard.

Bugs like this jumping one are the lowest of the low in severity and priority.

On the flip side, as a PM, I do have a problem with how they communicate and validate bug fixes, especially for small ones like this. They should never have called this out as fixed in the patch notes.

Well yeah, that makes sense. I do agree on communication and validation needing improvements... Thing is, this shouldn't be a problem with a company that has been in business for this long. Considering the amount of games Bioware have released before Swtor, the fanbases and countless forums that they have dealt with you'd expect them to know how to handle things as simple as communicating with people and validating bug fixes.

Edit: Getting off-topic, apologies.

Edited by Xezr

It's not about the bug per se, its effect ranges from almost unnoticable on a single lightsaber wielder to amusing on a character wearing a minigun or a double-LS.

This showcases a general QA problem with the patches, though: We got a mini-patch, that fixed a serious oversight with a cartel-market feature that was added 6 patches earlier, as well as two issues created by the previous patch. Of those three fixes at least one doesn't work properly and obviously wasn't tested by someone actually playing the game. At least I haven't noticed any *new* bugs this time, so that's a start.

Edited by Mubrak

When I log in with a character then jumping works as it did before 2.2.2, so far so good; but when I use a mount (or just activate rocket boost) then my character will again use the weapon's jumping animation even if it isn't drawn.

:(

Same with my characters. Although I do like it when my Mercenary crosses his arms...like a hip hop dancer ;)

Well, although it might not be game-breaking for *you*, other people have the right to be annoyed with this bug, since not only is the animation bugged, but as soon as the animation switches from "fixed" to "buggy" after dismounting, the quick tapping of "space" and "w" (or whatever your forward movement key is) to jump forward from standing still doesn't work anymore as well.

Trying to jump precisely to reach some datacrons, ledges or other things is almost impossible for me with this bug.

If it only was a cosmetic thing, I couldn't care less, but since it directly affects gameplay it should get a hotfix after the botched "fix" from today.

I don't care about the bug, bugs happen. No MMO is bug free. WoW has had several bugs that have gone unfixed since the game launched.

My complaint is that they released a patch with three 'fixes', and so far two of them are verified not fixed. And this is not the first time something like this has happened. If they say a bug is fixed, it should be fixed, especially in such a small patch. If it was a huge patch, it would be understandable if some code got mixed up or whatever, but not a patch this size specifically to fix said issue.

But as I said earlier, its just a single straw on the camel's back. The problem is that those straws are continuously piling up.

The chat actually fades, but it takes very long to do so. I tried it with a chat tab where only whispers and guild messages show and the text faded after a (long) while.

At least the alpha setting works fine, that was the main issue for me as I have the chat alpha set to 0 so that I see only text unless I'm hovering over the chat box with the mouse. This is fixed for me, and also no persistent chat box that keeps poping up even in cutscenes without anyone actually writing something in the chat.

And yes, the text also fades when there is no activity, not sure if the delay is longer than before.

This bug is still here after... I don't know.. 6-12 months? There are things that will never be fixed. Or if they are, some later patch will revert the fix somehow.

WoW has had bugs that have been in the game for 7 years! Its not that they're having trouble fixing it that's the problem, imo. Its that they keep saying things are fixed that are not getting fixed that make them look incompetent.

CORRECTION: It's not Voss. Its my mount.

When I log in, I jump just fine. Unsheath, resheath my weapon, I jump like I'm supposed to.

The second I mount my speeder and dismount, the jump bug comes back. It doesn't go away until I log out and back in. But the second I mount, it comes back.

UGH.

Bug not fixed. What surprises me most is how it got broken to begin with since it wasn't there prior to 2.2.2. Seems like a willful (albeit amateur) programming error. This last game build is one of the worst since launch and there's been quite a few bad ones.

This. You can search the history of my posts here and games I've played for over a decade and I've never been a basher or hater, but this is another rung in a downward spiral that isn't funny anymore. As someone who has done some work in software QA it is appalling to think that in a patch made to fix three issues one of them wasn't tested long or thoroughly enough to engage in simple and common activities like mounting, changing zones... or how about putting the character through the animation that was actually half of the bug: wielding a weapon. None of these things were apparently tested before this patch, this minuscule patch made to resolve only three issues, went live. It's an embarrassing display of a lack of QA and makes me concerned for the future of this game. :(

I hope this doesn't come across as criticizing you as I appreciate you have more experience in this area, but the issue is beyond this for two reasons, in my opinion: that a patch was made to fix only three issues and that one of those issues can so easily be seen to not be fixed. I can understand bugs and things getting missed, but not when there are only three being scrutinized before a patch goes live, and not when the one that is missed happens through some of the most common activities. This isn't one of dozens of issues that was supposed to be fixed, it isn't something that happens to a specific class, gender, species, body type or after a complex combination of activities. It happens after you mount, after you zone, after you draw your weapon. How something can pass QA without having included some testing with those common actions is the concern.

Edited by AlyoshaCephas