Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Regardless of who the class representative for this round will be

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Regardless of who the class representative for this round will be
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

paowee
07.12.2013 , 11:22 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelFluttershy View Post
Just a reminder of what the community team and devs are looking for: Found Here

The questions can be as detailed or broad as we'd like them, there isn't a huge need to pose a question and strongly scrutinize each word it consists of at the moment. While we will reword/edit questions we choose for clarification, they don't need to the ultimate form of a near-perfect question. I'd also suggest saving that editing process once we've gotten a good grasp at 5-10 questions we'd like to vote on seeing being asked to the combat team, unless someone suggests a question that is too confusing for us to decipher.

In other words, I'd like to see more brainstorming and less finalizing since we have plenty of time before the three questions are presented to the community team to hand off to the combat team. One step at a time.
I guess you are right Angels haha. Regardless of what the pefect sentence construction for the question will be...

My question will really, just revolve on Hybrid vs Lethality and the DPS imbalance that seems to be apparent between the two. A DPS imbalance that is causing one spec to be more popular, like... "~80%" more popular than the other, in end-game pve, based only though on what i see in torparse in 8 and 16-m HM/NiM raids.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

paowee
07.12.2013 , 11:24 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
Yes we did, and it was amazing.
I have to see this movie.. .i keep reading snips about it since eric's post..

paowee
07.12.2013 , 11:34 AM | #43
Anyway Yndras, i think your version of the question is great. It doesnt sound like a "homing device" that tunnels into one answer and because it is open-ended allows for more discussion from the devs..

A specific hybrid spec appears to be quite popular at current due to higher dps. In your play tests, do you have any numbers that support this theory in comparison to numbers for full lethality snipers?

This is my version of it lol...
There seems to be an DPS imbalance between a certain hybrid spec and full lethality. Are these 2 specs performing DPS wise as intended?

rverghes
07.12.2013 , 11:09 PM | #44
Another couple of small annoyances:

1. Laze Target seems a little pointless these days. It's a small dps increase, but doesn't seem very interesting any more. Back in 1.0 when stuff triggered off a crit, it was more useful, but now it seems vestigial.

2. This may have been covered, but killing a mob with Series of Shots disrupts your rotation since Followthrough doesn't come off cooldown. You can work around it, but it is jarring, and even feels like the game is punishing you for killing the mob. Suggestion: Add killing a mob to the list of things that completes the cooldown for Followthrough.
Recruiting Officer - Twisted Legends
MMO Blog - Blessing of Kings

Warrgames
07.13.2013 , 11:35 AM | #45
PvP and PvE Question about cover

Are there plans to add a new ability that puts you in cover where you vs rolling into cover? Using either the ability or cover key; you roll into cover if you havea target and something is close enough. The problems with this is cover bug, rolling to a spot that LoS your target you are attacking, rolling into an AoE attack and rolling to another level in Huttball. You can drop where you are by deselecting your target. It doesn't work if you are getting attack.

GalnarDegana
07.15.2013 , 10:33 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Warrgames View Post
PvP and PvE Question about cover

Are there plans to add a new ability that puts you in cover where you vs rolling into cover? Using either the ability or cover key; you roll into cover if you havea target and something is close enough. The problems with this is cover bug, rolling to a spot that LoS your target you are attacking, rolling into an AoE attack and rolling to another level in Huttball. You can drop where you are by deselecting your target. It doesn't work if you are getting attack.
Just fyi, there is already a feature that you are looking for. What you want to do is go into Preferences -> Key Bindings -> Targeting. Then you want to assign keys to "Take Cover" and "Take Cover in Place." Using the latter, you can drop into cover without deselecting the target. Because of the former, you can actually remove the skill "Take Cover" from your skill bar, because it will do the same thing, thus freeing up a spot!

Paowee, for my suggestion, I would like to get some feedback from the devs on why Marksmanship buffs don't consistently show up when rolling into cover. This, in coordination with "Not usable in air" and "Unable to take cover" bugs, is the bane of my existence in warzones. Basically, what steps are being taken to ensure a smoother cover-using experience?

ErosGyne
07.17.2013 , 08:01 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
but maybe a buff to Full Lethality sustained single target DPS instead.
yes yes yes

chuixupu
07.25.2013 , 12:34 PM | #48
Bumping this, because there is some good preemptive discussion.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

paowee
07.25.2013 , 02:35 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Bumping this, because there is some good preemptive discussion.
I'll most likely make 2 new threads, 1 pve and 1 pvp. But for sure i'll copy some discuession from here.

BaineOs
07.25.2013 , 05:19 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
I'll most likely make 2 new threads, 1 pve and 1 pvp. But for sure i'll copy some discuession from here.
If I don't post this now I won't remember it, hope you don't mind dude

I'm hoping there's a question in here somewhere so my sincere apologies if it turns out to be just a general rambling post. I can't comment on pve as I'm pvp only. So with that in mind:

We're hated. By everyone. We're the primary target of shadows and dps scoundrels, dps sages love to los dot us, dps commando's these days seem to simply take great delight in going for us, vanguards...actually not sure they're odd these days but they do love pulling us if we move an inch and sentinels/guardians just can't get enough of us, they'll jump to the person standing next to us or ignore 5 other people just to get to us. Basically everyone will go for us at every opportunity. A lot of people have even said that after healers their next primarily target is the sniper.

We're even marked by some purely because of our advanced class, at least healers being marked are three different classes. We're subjected to a lot of unwarranted hate from others.

Why is that? It's because we're a good fairly balanced class that if left alone can prove to be a nightmare, they can't afford to let us free cast. That goes the same for any class in the right hands it's true but because of our cover mechanic that draws people to us much more than others because it's harder to get to us.

So why is it that in lowbie pvp, snipers are considered overpowered? Even by us snipers ourselves? The marksman spec especially until you are lvl 45 for engineering (plasma probe) or lvl 35 for lethality (cull, lvl 36 for lingering toxins, lethality is the spec i know the least).

For me it's that inequality that gives new snipers such a wake up call when they ding to lvl 55. They spend so much time in lowbie being OP that they never bother putting much time into learning their defensive skills. They put themselves in obvious dangerous positions, they try manuvers that worked in lowbie (due to the imabalance) that have no chance at lvl 55. Essentially with our class lowbie is a breeding ground for learning bad habbits.

TLDR: lvl 55 pvp is balanced for us whereas lowbie is not, we're OP and that hurts snipers when they make the final ding.

So my pvp question would be this:
What can you do to equalise the balance for snipers with other classes in lowbie pvp without breaking the class entirely and whilst not endangering the precarious balance we have at lvl 55?

Reason for asking that question:
I've leveled a lot of snipers, far more than most other people I know and it's quite apparent that snipers have a huge advantage for a long time in lowbie pvp. I believe that this hurts snipers by giving them a false impression of what lvl 55 is going to be like and the constant calls of snipers being OP are formed from memories of snipers in lowbie. I would have that imbalance fixed to provide a better experience in lowbie and several passive benefits for those of us in lvl 55.
Es'carli D'Lakutos - Engineering Sniper
<Lord of the Drinks>
The Red Eclipse