Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class Representatives Are Here!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Class Representatives Are Here!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Talimar
07.10.2013 , 08:31 PM | #81
This is a terrible idea.

I am speaking from experience, having been both the Star Wars: Galaxies Medic and Doctor forum correspondent for well over a year when that program was running.

In short, all this does is make it appear that developers are communicating to players, when in fact they are doing no such thing. To cite an example, I spoke to a developer once in my time as correspondent. Twice if you count Gordon Walton, who wasn't a developer, but more of a [censored].

The only time I got to talk to a developer was after the game closed down, where I spoke to Dan Rubenfield about his role in the NGE debacle.

You all know we don't get enough feedback from devs about our questions, creating representatives does nothing to increase that communication. They already know about our questions as stated in the intial post and could easily answer them (and to be fair, sometimes do) if they really wanted.
"We're merging you with US servers. Your gameplay experience will be abysmal, but you'll have higher populations!"
"But we play at entirely different times."
"Doesn't matter. Our metrics will show higher populations."

Kynesis
07.10.2013 , 09:05 PM | #82
You might need to make sure to clarify the focus of a given class leader, PvP interests tend to differ quite significantly from PvE interests & (rather obviously) sometimes compete.

Projawa
07.10.2013 , 09:25 PM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by Talimar View Post
This is a terrible idea.

I am speaking from experience, having been both the Star Wars: Galaxies Medic and Doctor forum correspondent for well over a year when that program was running.

In short, all this does is make it appear that developers are communicating to players, when in fact they are doing no such thing. To cite an example, I spoke to a developer once in my time as correspondent. Twice if you count Gordon Walton, who wasn't a developer, but more of a [censored].

The only time I got to talk to a developer was after the game closed down, where I spoke to Dan Rubenfield about his role in the NGE debacle.

You all know we don't get enough feedback from devs about our questions, creating representatives does nothing to increase that communication. They already know about our questions as stated in the intial post and could easily answer them (and to be fair, sometimes do) if they really wanted.
I like the idea of this program but realistically it remains to be seen if it yields any tangible benefits beyond a brief PR boost and giving forum goers as sense of involvement.

Barnard
07.10.2013 , 09:27 PM | #84
This is a horrible idea. Class representatives just end up being popularity contests for Forum Warriors. This has been a disaster in most every other game that implemented them. You end up with people focused on the 1 thing they care about most, like PvP or PvE and they are detrimental to the class balance for years. EQ's Ranger representative didn't even participate in raiding. He complained about how hard it was to survive as a low level Ranger. As a result, they buffed Rangers at lower levels and end game Rangers fell behind in DPS output compared to other DPS classes. He also played his Ranger as an archer and not a melee, which was the better method.

Same thing will happen here. Class representatives will only focus on a particular tree or play style like PvP vs PvE. Either split the representatives based on play styles, or elect a group per class.

Talimar
07.10.2013 , 09:35 PM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by Projawa View Post
I like the idea of this program but realistically it remains to be seen if it yields any tangible benefits beyond a brief PR boost and giving forum goers as sense of involvement.
Raph Koster came up with the concept for SWG, and said pretty much exactly that as the purpose of the program, to create as another poster just said "forum warriors". It has nothing to do with improving the actual game, as I said, the devs already see our issues and know of them, and could easily respond. Heck, the likes of Eric who only make 1 or 2 posts a day, could easily be gathering such data.
"We're merging you with US servers. Your gameplay experience will be abysmal, but you'll have higher populations!"
"But we play at entirely different times."
"Doesn't matter. Our metrics will show higher populations."

Pistols
07.10.2013 , 09:50 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Pistols View Post
I think the most important aspect is being missed by a few peeps here. This is about helping to streamline communication, and at present only starting with advanced classes, which IMO is something this game needs badly. While I understand classes tend to function somewhat differently in PvP than PvE, this is where said individual chosen for the role, will need to gather all concerns and then present it.

I'm going to assume most "class issues" will be centered on abilities, bugs, etc, and how they perform in their respective environments, so if it's important too others I'm sure it will be relayed by whomever is chosen. This can be a very invaluable tool, and one I hope the team builds on, because like everyone we all want to help make the game better and feel like our issues (no matter what we do in game) are being addessed.

Hopefully as a community we can see this flourish, as I think we all would benefit from this.
Friendly reminder bump, for those blowing things out of proportion.

Also, this isn't SWG, and it's more of a Q/A session regarding classes so please leave it at that.

I see no reason why TOR can't have at least a CHANCE at trying something like this; And FFS read how they're implementing it folks, it is NOTHING like how SWG Senators/Developers did their thing. Thank you.

Zoom_VI
07.10.2013 , 09:53 PM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by DustinDune View Post
Don't know if i missed it, but what about the specific trees within the class? For example, the first round of posts for VG/PT will be all about DPS and the nerf they received in 2.0. What about PT/VG tanks and there questions? Electing a rep who knows or understands PVE, PVP and all specs within an advance class will be near impossible.
^^ this

As a diehard vanguard tank I want to see the AC excel and not relapse into 1.7 era where it was assault or don't come. Of course I newest and the dps consterns currently and find them justified. A vanguard Rep might have a similar focus or be dps focused at the expense of the tank VG community. Finding one plaer who can represent both equally will be very hard.
Crinn
Trooper Hunter

Vanguard | Commando | Powertech | Mercenary
The Worst Powertech in Yolos

Mowermanx
07.10.2013 , 11:06 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
^^ this

As a diehard vanguard tank I want to see the AC excel and not relapse into 1.7 era where it was assault or don't come. Of course I newest and the dps consterns currently and find them justified. A vanguard Rep might have a similar focus or be dps focused at the expense of the tank VG community. Finding one plaer who can represent both equally will be very hard.
Indeed, the idea, as is being implemented is way way way too broad a brush to go anywhere near being useful.
I could tell you anything and everything about being a PT tank in PVE endgame, and if I were to make a guide, would probably 10+ pages long, but I wouldn't know the first thing about PVP or DPS on a PT, as I've never done either.
Ive been playing this game since early access.

DarthSpekulatius
07.10.2013 , 11:38 PM | #89
haven't read the full thread but...
I've read wishes to split between PVP&PVE has anyone brought forth the wish to split between Roles?
Tank/DD/Heal
it would be nice if a class who feels it has problems with both could make both heard...
these classes you could expect to be pissed already...

edit: just read the post above mine so it's been said that's good.

KrunchyMedia
07.11.2013 , 12:50 AM | #90
lol gg. this concept is so stupid. people are just going to pick all the pve idiots who pve all day and only make pve guides.

bioware already caters to all the pve kids and doesn't do anything for pvp. so for anybody go pve's, congrats, bioware is going to give you more pve improvements and pve content. pvpers will be left in the dust. gg