Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Developers, We need more clarification on a patch note please.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developers, We need more clarification on a patch note please.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

tumpai's Avatar


tumpai
07.10.2013 , 10:57 AM | #1
In the patch notes for 2.2.2 it is stated that Bioware has made ''Multiple environmental art changes have been made across the galaxy''. It would be nice if a Developer or a Community Representative could elaborate on this change more to us then just saying it was included. Whether it is a significant change or not I would still like to see what was done in game no matter how large or minor it is.

Thank you
''We actually haven't talked about that yet'' -- Bioware staff Oct 23, 2008 - present

ImpactHound's Avatar


ImpactHound
07.10.2013 , 10:58 AM | #2
Some A+ testers finished tightening up the graphics on level 3.

SithEBM's Avatar


SithEBM
07.10.2013 , 11:41 AM | #3
Don't expect any developer or EricMusco to reply.
Although, I would like to see what was changed.

AmberGreen's Avatar


AmberGreen
07.10.2013 , 04:23 PM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi there tumpai,

This is actually a great question, and I'm a bit surprised it's not come up before. The direct answer is that the note is a conglomeration of several small art fixes, and we often add a note like this to give people in the studio their props for fixing the whole darn galaxy almost every patch. These small things are not always visual, and sometimes they include things like sound effects, text (such as spelling or punctuation errors), etc.

To be far more detailed though, when we do a query for patch notes, one of two things can happen:

The first thing that can happen is that the query has only a few small fixes. In that case, we'll generally leave them out all together. Why? Because they're exceptionally minor and go completely unnoticed by most players. (There are examples below to illustrate what I mean by "minor" here). That's not to say we'll not go ahead and add them when the bug is minor but amusing. For example, we fixed a bug in 2.2.1 where the ground sounded like dirt where it shouldn't:

The Ziost Shadow Mission Deck has been cleaned and footsteps no longer sound as though players are moving through dirt.

The other thing that can happen when we pull notes is that we'll see several (or many) small fixes of this nature, and that's where we'll consolidate. It can be on a particular planet ("Made many art corrections on Makeb, fixing issues like floating rocks and trees, map holes, and incorrect textures."), in an instance ("Made several art corrections throughout the Operation to fix issues such as map holes and incorrect textures."), or scattered everywhere ("Multiple environmental art changes have been made across the galaxy.").

To illustrate a bit further, I'll provide a few of the exact fixes that were made in the last two patches alone to spur the three quoted notes above:
  • Ilum: Western Ice Shelf: A seam can be encountered on planet Ilum at the given coordinates.
  • Makeb: Telemur Mesa: Floating antenna present in the Telemur Mesa Heroic - Regulator Foothold area.
  • Operations: Oasis City Spaceport: A texture is missing from the top side of the elevator, allowing the player to view outside the game world.
  • Ilum: Western Ice Shelf: A texture is missing, allowing players to enter the rock and see through it. (It's interesting to note that when drilling down into this bug, one has to move the camera around to just the right angle to get this to happen.)
  • Makeb: Imperial: Descent into the Core: Object from the indicated location in the "Maintenance Shaft" area has an improper collision with a metal object placed on the wall.

If we were to list out every fix of this nature, it would make the overall Patch Notes exceptionally long and unwieldy (both to write and read!). Game Update 2.2.1, for example, had almost 100 fixes of this nature, and when they're made en masse we want to be sure that we call it out. You can find examples of these types of notes for visual, sound, and text fixes going back to before launch.

Now, not every art, sound effect, or text fix falls into what I've listed above. Things that are very visible will generally get their own note. Anyone who has encountered the headless, floating-eyeballed NPCs since 2.2.2 should expect that to be noted, for example.

I hope this answers your questions and provides a bit of insight into the Patch Note process.
Amber Green | Live Services Specialist
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

Machine-Elf's Avatar


Machine-Elf
07.10.2013 , 04:58 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by AmberGreen View Post
Hi there tumpai,

This is actually a great question, and I'm a bit surprised it's not come up before. The direct answer is that the note is a conglomeration of several small art fixes, and we often add a note like this to give people in the studio their props for fixing the whole darn galaxy almost every patch. These small things are not always visual, and sometimes they include things like sound effects, text (such as spelling or punctuation errors), etc.

To be far more detailed though, when we do a query for patch notes, one of two things can happen:

The first thing that can happen is that the query has only a few small fixes. In that case, we'll generally leave them out all together. Why? Because they're exceptionally minor and go completely unnoticed by most players. (There are examples below to illustrate what I mean by "minor" here). That's not to say we'll not go ahead and add them when the bug is minor but amusing. For example, we fixed a bug in 2.2.1 where the ground sounded like dirt where it shouldn't:

The Ziost Shadow Mission Deck has been cleaned and footsteps no longer sound as though players are moving through dirt.

The other thing that can happen when we pull notes is that we'll see several (or many) small fixes of this nature, and that's where we'll consolidate. It can be on a particular planet ("Made many art corrections on Makeb, fixing issues like floating rocks and trees, map holes, and incorrect textures."), in an instance ("Made several art corrections throughout the Operation to fix issues such as map holes and incorrect textures."), or scattered everywhere ("Multiple environmental art changes have been made across the galaxy.").

To illustrate a bit further, I'll provide a few of the exact fixes that were made in the last two patches alone to spur the three quoted notes above:
  • Ilum: Western Ice Shelf: A seam can be encountered on planet Ilum at the given coordinates.
  • Makeb: Telemur Mesa: Floating antenna present in the Telemur Mesa Heroic - Regulator Foothold area.
  • Operations: Oasis City Spaceport: A texture is missing from the top side of the elevator, allowing the player to view outside the game world.
  • Ilum: Western Ice Shelf: A texture is missing, allowing players to enter the rock and see through it. (It's interesting to note that when drilling down into this bug, one has to move the camera around to just the right angle to get this to happen.)
  • Makeb: Imperial: Descent into the Core: Object from the indicated location in the "Maintenance Shaft" area has an improper collision with a metal object placed on the wall.

If we were to list out every fix of this nature, it would make the overall Patch Notes exceptionally long and unwieldy (both to write and read!). Game Update 2.2.1, for example, had almost 100 fixes of this nature, and when they're made en masse we want to be sure that we call it out. You can find examples of these types of notes for visual, sound, and text fixes going back to before launch.

Now, not every art, sound effect, or text fix falls into what I've listed above. Things that are very visible will generally get their own note. Anyone who has encountered the headless, floating-eyeballed NPCs since 2.2.2 should expect that to be noted, for example.


I hope this answers your questions and provides a bit of insight into the Patch Note process.
It's great to know issues like these are being continually fixed (though I'd submit to you that people would NOT find their being listed and specified overly-cumbersome to read), it gives the game a veneer of polish that I think is essential in order to attract new players.

KurganNazzir's Avatar


KurganNazzir
07.10.2013 , 05:24 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AmberGreen View Post
[*]Ilum: Western Ice Shelf: A texture is missing, allowing players to enter the rock and see through it. (It's interesting to note that when drilling down into this bug, one has to move the camera around to just the right angle to get this to happen.)
I crawled inside of a large rock on Hoth last nite, okay, I drove my Kurtob speeder inside and it completely hid me. I was quite amused and have declared it my hidey-hole so no /bug report for you! (I really hope you read that in the Soup Nazi's voice)
Dark Eclipse
GAF

DarthVitrial's Avatar


DarthVitrial
07.10.2013 , 05:28 PM | #7
Thanks for the clarification, though I personally enjoy reading changelogs and would like to see the full details of those changes. But then, I"m weird.

Hassat-Hunter's Avatar


Hassat-Hunter
07.10.2013 , 05:44 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by KurganNazzir View Post
I crawled inside of a large rock on Hoth last nite, okay, I drove my Kurtob speeder inside and it completely hid me. I was quite amused and have declared it my hidey-hole so no /bug report for you! (I really hope you read that in the Soup Nazi's voice)
Reminds me of my Makeb run tonight... had to go to some spaceship after
Spoiler

I just put up auto-move and started chatting, thinking the shuttle would stop me. Alas, I went straight through it and just prevented myself dropping down to my death off the shuttlepad (by sacrificing the message I was typing though).

Applicator's Avatar


Applicator
07.10.2013 , 08:06 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SithEBM View Post
Don't expect any developer or EricMusco to reply.
Although, I would like to see what was changed.
Lol he replied right after you

AlrikFassbauer's Avatar


AlrikFassbauer
07.11.2013 , 05:24 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by AmberGreen View Post
If we were to list out every fix of this nature, it would make the overall Patch Notes exceptionally long and unwieldy (both to write and read!).
I partially agree ( translations ! ) and I partially disagree :

Consolidating too many minor fixes into one thing lets the whole thing appear as if there had not been done much work at all. The image of "laziness" is created. simply, because few fixes are listed at all.

In my opinion, it would be far better to list as many fixes as posible. Why ? Because of the simple reasons :

- both transparency
- and let the players actually see that work is done.

I have found in a few times things and places I just could not understand. What has happened there I just couldn't understand it. And no-one was able to give me an answer for that.

My "worst" example was the PvP area on Tatooine :

- 2 traders have been removed (never mentioned in any patch notes !)
- in the place of 1 tader there is (or rather . was, when I was there for the last time) a droid lying on the ground which seemingly could be clicked on, but there never happened any thing.

No-one was able to explain to me what had happened there.

So, I'm holding the opinion that *some* "unnoticed fixed" imho *do* need to be shown and explained ...
"Just say no." If you feel like you are only there for generating Comms for someone else, then just stay away from PvP. Don't let yourself get farmed !