Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Class Representatives Are Here!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Class Representatives Are Here!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Glzmo
07.10.2013 , 04:14 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
This is something we definitely talked about as a part of this program. For now our goal is to launch the Class Representatives and see how it goes. If it is well received on both sides and people like the dialog it creates. If it works, we will talk about expanding it, like you suggested above.

As you can see from this very thread some folks are hesitant about the concept. We too want to see how it goes before we roll it out too broadly!
First, it's good to see this program being implemented. It's something that can greatly help.
Second, I've been in similar programs in the other Star Wars MMORPG and I can tell you from experience that having representatives for each aspect is incredibly important. Especially roleplayers and socializers need representation as they evidently aren't represented enough among the developers which is evident by features that were promised as high priority since launch and even before that (chat bubbles, for example), but PVErs and PVPers and Space players as well. I suggest to create these three representative positions, too. It may also be a good idea to have a position for each crafting/crew skill, gameplay and others as well.

EricMusco
07.10.2013 , 04:19 PM | #62 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Also as a reminder, don't forget to go to your AC forum and nominate folks. Sometime early next week we will reach out to possible candidates and make sure they are interested before we start polling. So make sure if you are a possible candidate you are checking your PMs next week.

Keep the feedback coming as I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread. The goal is to increase communication between the studio and you guys, the players, about classes in general. This is definitely an initiative with a lot of community input so your opinions are important!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

idnewton
07.10.2013 , 04:20 PM | #63
Hey everyone!

I am happy to announce today a new initiative that we are going to be launching here on the forums. It is something that we have seen requested since launch, and we think it will do really well in helping to communicate more with all of you on a topic you certainly want more information on; Classes. What we are going to be launching, with your help, are Class Representatives! Here are the details on how they will be selected, what they will do, and a bit about the expectations you should have about the new initiative.
Do this right and make everyone happy. Don't let us down. This is the kind of thing we need.
PRE-ORDER ACCOUNT LEGACY LEVEL 50 LEVEL +55s: 23
ETERNAL WARRIOR CHEEVO POINTS: +29,000

🗽 'MERICA -- **** YEA! 🗽

ArchangelLBC
07.10.2013 , 04:39 PM | #64

Expectations

One thing I want to make sure of is that we very carefully hedge some of your expectations of this program. Our number one goal is to get your questions answered. We have known for some time that players have had Class balance questions, and it has been tricky to get them answered. The purpose of this initiative is to get those questions addressed as directly as possible. I want to make sure we stress the following things:
  • It is possible, and even likely, that we could disagree with player sentiment towards something in relation to Class balance. Ex: Why does <insert class> suck at <insert thing>?! We may respond that we feel they are in a good place in our design goals and we will do our best to explain why.
  • Attaching feedback to your top 3 in no way guarantees that it will be feedback that is actionable. The purpose is to allow a set dialog between our Combat Team and you here on the forums. Just because something appears in the top 3 provided by a representative does not mean it is feedback that will garner special treatment.
  • Class Representatives are player elected and will not be granted any special access to the BioWare team. If chosen, you won’t have to sign an NDA or anything similar. You will be a player-elected forum user who assists your Class in formulating the top issues and concerns you would like to have BioWare commentary on.
  • As with all things on the forums, please remain respectful. Please respect each other, your chosen Class Representatives, and the BioWare developers.

My biggest concern is that this could just be a way to assuage the QQers. It's understandable that you may not agree with our perspective, or that feedback isn't actionable, but sometimes feedback IS actionable and sometimes when you disagree with us it's because you're wrong.

What happens when someone like KBN or Kitru is selected as a class representative and brings in both the theory crafting and the actual parses demonstrating a major issue with Shadow tank spikiness, and you guys either say "our internal testing doesn't agree", even though we know you didn't originally test with shadows, OR you say "there is a problem, but there is nothing we can do", which reads a lot more like "the devs don't wanna be bothered to put in the actual work".

Now is it incredibly cynical of me to assume that you would select representatives to give the appearance of a dialog without ever actually doing a single thing to address our concerns except pay them lip service? It absolutely is. Keep in mind though that this is a cynicism that has been earned based on past performance. You don't spend over a year destroying peoples' faith in the dev team and then turn around and completely restore it overnight.

This is a nice idea, I approve of it as an idea, but in practice, whatever you may say about expectations and believe me I don't expect a lot right now, if this program doesn't lead to some positive changes on the class balance front, all you will have done with this is made myself, and others like me, even more jaded and cynical when it comes to the development team.

P.S. My cynicism towards the dev team notwithstanding, I should definitely take this opportunity to say that Eric and the rest of the Community team have been very diligent about doing their jobs, and while they aren't perfect, they have been doing a good job and I appreciate their efforts. This idea DOES help address one of their biggest weaknesses, and does so by engaging us and I approve of this 100% from that perspective.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Traejen
07.10.2013 , 04:41 PM | #65
Hey Bioware, maybe instead of wasting time on this, an initiative like cross-server queues, or more/better (gooder) ops instead of 3 difficulty modes of the same crap, or actually being able to produce a patch that fixes things without breaking other things. Just a few ideas.... small n!

Suntaru
07.10.2013 , 04:52 PM | #66
They had something along this line in STO also. Major Failure

odawgg
07.10.2013 , 05:02 PM | #67
This sounds excellent in theory, really can't see anything bad coming from it....the more communication the better IMO! thanks Eric

Baalzamon
07.10.2013 , 05:03 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by Roalmo View Post
Was a bad idea in DAOC and Warhammer. got only PVPers involved with their pet axes to grind......
Yeah we all know how well that little project turned out.
Dont do this plz.....

EFSoupy
07.10.2013 , 05:07 PM | #69
One suggestion, change the format from 3 questions and 3 responses to actual discourse. I think there's a big difference between
Rep: There's an issue with shadow tanks..
Dev: our metrics say otherwise

And

Rep: There's an issue with shadow tank.
Dev: our metrics say otherwise
Rep: Shadow tanks are experiencing something different
Dev: What are they experiencing?

I think an actual discourse would require more but would also be more useful for both parties. Give them a stickied thread to discuss the issues, just devs and rep, it would let the devs express their standpoint without being mobbed by the foaming-at-the-mouth populace that is gamers.
Azucena- Vanguard (Shield/Assault), Moco - Scoundrel (Sawbones), Chapulin - Shadow (Kinetic/ Infiltration), Cagafuego - Commando (Gunnery)
<The Eternal Guardians>
Begeren Colony

paowee
07.10.2013 , 05:12 PM | #70
I really advise having 2 representatives, 1 for PVE and 1 for PVP. I understsand the class rep's is only a messenger and his/her duty is basically talk and compile issues and questions his/her community has about their class but a PVE players will have very different issues and concerns from PVP players. Assassins and Shadows for example. Playing PVE Sin/Shadow DPS is going to be very different from PVP Sin/Shadow DPS. For anyone who frequents the Assassin forums, you only have to look at Wakalord's posts to see how different PVP Sins play compared to their PVE counterpart (i used to play a DPS sin back in HM TFB (50) and ~"i could not relate to half of that PVP DPS assassin thread."
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records