Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How crafting should work

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
How crafting should work

Tragamite's Avatar


Tragamite
07.03.2013 , 06:48 PM | #1
I really feel that the Devs need to relook at crafted items. I believe that all crafted items should be modible item. Learning patterns from a trainer grants green schematics. By reverse engineering these Items you learn a blue quality and then a purple quality item.

Armorings, Mods, Enhancements, Barrels and Hilts follow this pattern also yet miss out on the stats that are offered from aditional crafted gear. I believe this was a concept to make them desirable vs Moddable gear. I would just like to provide an outline of what I think should have happend with crafted gear.

Armorings, Barrels and Hilts:
Crafted Greens are Base Stats (Cunning, Strength, Willpower, Aim)
Crafted Blues are Base+, A or B varients (Like Mods and Enhancements)
Base+ increases both stats on the Item
A increases the primary stat.(Reflex, Skill, Might, Resolve)
B Increases the Endurance stat.(Commando, Patron, Guardian, Force Wielder)
Crafted Purples would then be Advanced versions of the blue varients.

Mods:
Like Armorings, Hilts and Barrels you would start with a base green Item with base stats offered.
Crafted Blues are "Crit, Overkill and Redoubt"
Crafted Pueples can then follow the path like other crafted items.

Enhancements:
Enhancement also should have used the A/B formula in my opinion. There are just too many to start with. If I make a Critical Enhancement it contains Endurance and Crit stats. If I revers engineer it, it should do a split like the Armorings. The Bastion, Immunity and Steadfast all give access to Defense, Shield and Endurance. If you combined these three into one green pattern (Bastion 39 End, 19 Def, 49 Shield) and then reverse engineer it to 3 modes of blue. (Bastion 46 End, 23 Def, 58 Shield, Bastion A 39 End, 37 Def, Shld 51, Bastion B 58 End, 19 Def, 50 Shld.) Even if the Green was named and the Blue sperated into 2 A/B varients and then 3 from both of those 2 we would have less Enhancements then 3-3-3 method in use.

Crafted Armor:
All crafted Armor should have been made moddable where the pattern is a green shell with green modifications. Reverse engineer it for the 3 options of Crit, Ovrkill and Redoubt and have the Mod and Enhancement adjust to what it is you are making. So you start with a Chest that has 105 Cunning, 138 Endurance and 50 Alacrity. These stats would be spread between the Armoring, Mod and Enhancement to be equal stat wise to a green armoring mod and enhancement of same level. You Reverse Engineer this chest and learn the Overkill Varient. This adds the stat Power to the mix. Now it is blue so the Armoring and mods are increased to blue the mod gains the Power stat. Then you RE this one and learn the Expert variety. You end up with a Piece of Armor with 115 Cun, 144 End, 56 Pow, 50 Alac, and 53 Surge which is applied to the Enhancement. So you end up with an Purple Armor shell with Purple Armoring (Cun+End), Mod (Cun+End+Pow) and Enhancment (End+Alac+Surge).

Crafted Weapons should have followed the same pattern as Armor.

Droid Parts and Offhands also should have followed a progression simillar in fashion as Armor and Weapons. Ear, Implants and Relics ccould go either way IMO. Stay as is or even they could be moddable. I do believe that Artifice NEEDS to have low level neutral relics that can be RE'd from green to purrple.

Consumables:
All crafting professions should have had a consumable item. I think we are just about there now with Aug Kits and now Color Kits to go with Stims, Adrenals, Medpacks and Grenades. So everyone has an item that when used is gone forever and can not be used again in another place.

EoG BiS BoP:
Every crafter HAD something only they could have access to at launch (except Armstech). Artifice-Relics, Armormech/Synthweaver Bracer/Belt, Cybertech Reusable Grenades, Biochem Reusable Med, Stim Adrenals.

IMO ALL crafting proffesions should have something only they have access to at End Game. A Masterwork Item that is BiS BoP. Artifice would have Relic, Lightsaber, and Offhand Gen/Shld/Foci. Armormech/Synthweaver I would stick with Belt and Bracers and maybe Boots and/or Gloves. Armstech would be a Weapon and Offhand. This would include Tech/Electro Staves/Blades, and Knife and Shotgun. Cybertech would have Droid Part, Reusable Grenades and Earpiece. Biochem would have Reusable Stims, Adrenals and Medpacs as well as Implants.

All these Masterwork Items should require endgame crafting material but this gives a player incentive to take that profession over another.
Whocsllessur Jugg Tank 55, Etim'a'grt Sorc DPS 55, Ruspe-Rurob PT Tank 55, Tolan'dass Snipe DPS 55, Pesch-rushi Guard Tank 55, Tragamite Scoundrel Heals 55, Slåughter Van DPS 55

uniz's Avatar


uniz
07.05.2013 , 08:47 AM | #2
there have been several threads about crafting skill fixes for usefulness and the like since release. but what players that were not here since release fail to understand is that the game was released in a poor incomplete buggy laggy state which only positioned the developers to make fast easy fixes to what was already out. there wasn't time for anything complex nor that involved making or changing a huge database of items.

the game went free to play which means unless what anyone, including yourself propose, doesn't somehow show how more monies can be made, it will not be prioritized or even done. that is the general mindset of f2p online games' management decisions. how will it make them more money.

Tragamite's Avatar


Tragamite
07.05.2013 , 12:04 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by uniz View Post
there have been several threads about crafting skill fixes for usefulness and the like since release. but what players that were not here since release fail to understand is that the game was released in a poor incomplete buggy laggy state which only positioned the developers to make fast easy fixes to what was already out. there wasn't time for anything complex nor that involved making or changing a huge database of items.

the game went free to play which means unless what anyone, including yourself propose, doesn't somehow show how more monies can be made, it will not be prioritized or even done. that is the general mindset of f2p online games' management decisions. how will it make them more money.
Well here is a concept for them...F2p gets 1 skill? because there is no incentive to craft f2p will choose a collection skill over a crafting skill. Providing incentive will make f2p want to craft thus the need to buy more skill slots or subscribe....CM purchases/subscriptions=money in their pockets!
Whocsllessur Jugg Tank 55, Etim'a'grt Sorc DPS 55, Ruspe-Rurob PT Tank 55, Tolan'dass Snipe DPS 55, Pesch-rushi Guard Tank 55, Tragamite Scoundrel Heals 55, Slåughter Van DPS 55

R-Smith's Avatar


R-Smith
07.09.2013 , 11:55 AM | #4
Something that I would like to see implemented would be the ability to DELETE unwanted schematics from my crafting page. My smuggler character has no interest in making vibroswords, techstaffs or cannons . My sith warrior has no interest in crafting light armor. It would be nice to just be able to trim that page down into something a little more manageable. The basic schematics could be offered at the trainers for free so if anyone wanted to change their mind they could.

Tragamite's Avatar


Tragamite
07.09.2013 , 06:55 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by R-Smith View Post
Something that I would like to see implemented would be the ability to DELETE unwanted schematics from my crafting page. My smuggler character has no interest in making vibroswords, techstaffs or cannons . My sith warrior has no interest in crafting light armor. It would be nice to just be able to trim that page down into something a little more manageable. The basic schematics could be offered at the trainers for free so if anyone wanted to change their mind they could.
You know you didn't have to buy those schematics and you can minimize them.
Whocsllessur Jugg Tank 55, Etim'a'grt Sorc DPS 55, Ruspe-Rurob PT Tank 55, Tolan'dass Snipe DPS 55, Pesch-rushi Guard Tank 55, Tragamite Scoundrel Heals 55, Slåughter Van DPS 55

psandak's Avatar


psandak
07.10.2013 , 03:32 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Tragamite View Post
Well here is a concept for them...F2p gets 1 skill? because there is no incentive to craft f2p will choose a collection skill over a crafting skill. Providing incentive will make f2p want to craft thus the need to buy more skill slots or subscribe....CM purchases/subscriptions=money in their pockets!
While true, I disagree that your (or anyone's) new system would encourage F2P players to craft.

There are two flaws in your assessment:

#1 You are assuming that F2P players do not craft because the system is the way it is. The flaw in that assumption is that (as you point out), by default, a F2P character only has one crew skill slot. No amount of crafting system reform will result in more F2P players wanting unlock crew skill slots to engage in crafting. You may think it will, but there is no guarantee it will happen.

#2 You are assuming that F2P players are more dedicated to the game than they probably are. Working any sort of crafting system in an MMO takes some dedication. Given the fact that they are F2P and not subscribing, the exact opposite assumption is probably more accurate - that most F2P players are of the more casual variety and therefore probably would not want to dedicate time to crafting no matter how epically awesome the crafting system is/was. Basically even if BW opened up three crew skill slots to all F2P accounts tomorrow chances are that most of those accounts would have characters with three gathering/mission skills rather than one crafting and two others.

Tragamite's Avatar


Tragamite
07.10.2013 , 06:35 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
While true, I disagree that your (or anyone's) new system would encourage F2P players to craft.

There are two flaws in your assessment:

#1 You are assuming that F2P players do not craft because the system is the way it is. The flaw in that assumption is that (as you point out), by default, a F2P character only has one crew skill slot. No amount of crafting system reform will result in more F2P players wanting unlock crew skill slots to engage in crafting. You may think it will, but there is no guarantee it will happen.

#2 You are assuming that F2P players are more dedicated to the game than they probably are. Working any sort of crafting system in an MMO takes some dedication. Given the fact that they are F2P and not subscribing, the exact opposite assumption is probably more accurate - that most F2P players are of the more casual variety and therefore probably would not want to dedicate time to crafting no matter how epically awesome the crafting system is/was. Basically even if BW opened up three crew skill slots to all F2P accounts tomorrow chances are that most of those accounts would have characters with three gathering/mission skills rather than one crafting and two others.
I am not assuming anything. I am suggesting that if there was inscentive to craft more people would want to. Not that f2p is winall looseall in this suggestion, but they are the probable candidates.

Yes a f2p is likely a casual player or even a fan of SW and just wants to see what the game is all about. So what would make that f2p player subscribe? The cartel market? PvP? PvE? Crafting? Space missions? Character creation? Anything can sway opinions.

I as a "tester" would look for the insentive to buying the product. F2P have access to 1 skill. But they see cool items they could make if they took this crafting skill. That may be the inscentive they needed to subscribe maybe not.

I simply used the F2P crowd as a demonstration of potential market. I also argue that "No amount of crafting system reform will result in more F2P players wanting unlock crew skill slots to engage in crafting." Like you assuming I assumed F2P was the ONLY market here you are assuming that "NO" system "WILL" result in more F2P wanting to craft. How can you prove this? I've seen plenty of games revamp or improve their crafting system and draw in more attention so its possible it COULD happen here.

This is probably one of the esiest crafting systems for the F2P community because they can queue and forget it until they log in next time and wow all done, they don't have to wait to complete the product.

So while I appreciate your input on the matter I would appreciate more if you would not assume I was making assumptions, after all, when you assume you make an *** out of U and ME....ASSuME!
Whocsllessur Jugg Tank 55, Etim'a'grt Sorc DPS 55, Ruspe-Rurob PT Tank 55, Tolan'dass Snipe DPS 55, Pesch-rushi Guard Tank 55, Tragamite Scoundrel Heals 55, Slåughter Van DPS 55

psandak's Avatar


psandak
07.12.2013 , 09:17 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Tragamite View Post
I've seen plenty of games revamp or improve their crafting system and draw in more attention so its possible it COULD happen here.
Please name one. Because I know of no MMO where the crafting system was all but scrapped and replaced with something else and that is what you are proposing.

I've seen plenty of tweaks, but tweaks are a FAR cry from a revamp.