Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

lack of story/dialogue in flashpoints...

EzFlyer
12.22.2011 , 03:13 PM | #1
don't get me wrong. i LOVE this game. i still rush home from work to play all night every day, and will continue to do so...

but man, black talon was so good. lots of story segments, lots of player dialogue/choices..

hammer station, athiss, mandalorian raiders, and cademimu (spelling not sure on last one) - the first 4 after black talon..

all identical. and not in a good way. the combat's fine, the bosses/level design are fine...

but there's literally the same thing for all 4.

a: talk to malgus via holo terminal
b: go in, halfway thru, hit spacebar after a series of who-gives-a-darn text, then choose either light side (save random people) or dark side (kill said random people). with no dialogue, just the winning character pressing a button on a machine
c: talk to malgus via holo terminal after you leave

that's it.

anyone else disappointed in that?

i'm HOPING some instances in future will be as immersing as black talon.

at least the "operations" at 50, etc.

Dignam
12.22.2011 , 03:27 PM | #2
this is a big big turn off so far. After BT they get lame fast.

EzFlyer
12.22.2011 , 03:28 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Dignam View Post
this is a big big turn off so far. After BT they get lame fast.
yea... i think it's a typical thing for bioware since EA got them.. they focus on a great start to games.. it's smart... gets people to stick w/it...

i just wish they had same effort in the later ones......

dipstik
12.22.2011 , 03:50 PM | #4
I think about 1/2 of the flashpoints are awesome. tarval V, jedi prisoner, Athiss, Directive 7, the one where u have to fight versions of your group members, the one where u fight a team of the other factions classes. the ones that i cant remember obviously lacks intrigue. battle of ilum or ilum beseiged was pretty epic if you care about the story of the game.

still need to do foundry and upward for sith.

SuperSair
12.22.2011 , 03:58 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by EzFlyer View Post
don't get me wrong. i LOVE this game. i still rush home from work to play all night every day, and will continue to do so...

but man, black talon was so good. lots of story segments, lots of player dialogue/choices..

hammer station, athiss, mandalorian raiders, and cademimu (spelling not sure on last one) - the first 4 after black talon..

all identical. and not in a good way. the combat's fine, the bosses/level design are fine...

but there's literally the same thing for all 4.

a: talk to malgus via holo terminal
b: go in, halfway thru, hit spacebar after a series of who-gives-a-darn text, then choose either light side (save random people) or dark side (kill said random people). with no dialogue, just the winning character pressing a button on a machine
c: talk to malgus via holo terminal after you leave

that's it.

anyone else disappointed in that?

i'm HOPING some instances in future will be as immersing as black talon.

at least the "operations" at 50, etc.

The 30-40 Flashpoints and some endgame ones have as much dialogue as BT.

And honestly, all that dialogue gets old....fast...

Mavery
12.22.2011 , 04:04 PM | #6
Why does this community seem to insist that story = conversation wheel / dialogue. There is a TON of story in these flashpoints. Just because it's not on a dialogue wheel does not mean it is non-existent.

EzFlyer
12.22.2011 , 04:53 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Mavery View Post
Why does this community seem to insist that story = conversation wheel / dialogue. There is a TON of story in these flashpoints. Just because it's not on a dialogue wheel does not mean it is non-existent.
yes it does...

Mavery
12.22.2011 , 05:00 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by EzFlyer654678
yes it does...
No, it doesn''t. Story can be atmosphere, boss voice-overs, NPC interactions, relevance of our involvement. It does not have to equate conversation wheel.

Don''t be so narrow minded.

EzFlyer
12.23.2011 , 09:51 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Mavery View Post
No, it doesn''t. Story can be atmosphere, boss voice-overs, NPC interactions, relevance of our involvement. It does not have to equate conversation wheel.

Don''t be so narrow minded.
i just disagree.

bioware's tool for storytelling, which is a fantstic one, is the player being involved in the dialogue. that's HOW they tell stories in Mass Effect, Dragon Age, etc. also in every quest in SWTOR.

this is the tool they use. the flashpoints referenced in this thread have been done lazily and/or rushed.

KalSpiro
12.23.2011 , 10:14 AM | #10
Hammer station has a great story that has no need for the standard wheel.

That said the reason NONE of these have that is because they were all created and thrown in during the last legs of Beta. Black Talon, Esseles, Taral V... and such were all fully fleshed out and tested for many builds, these intermediary ones were not.
Passion rules thought. Serenity is the path to understanding.
Ignorance rules power. Knowledge is the path to strength.
Weakness rules the masses. Control is the path to victory.
Through the Force my will is done. Through my will the Force prospers.