Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Bioware please make weekly polls

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Bioware please make weekly polls
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Superman_AZ's Avatar


Superman_AZ
07.09.2013 , 03:29 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin View Post
Orly? Because BW usually lives up to their promises? Please tell me more about how you dont pvp.

PvP is for kids who are bored with playing Call of Duty. Also, living in the REAL WORLD, you find out early on that promises are worth less than the paper they are written on. Maybe if people spent more time playing a game they claim to like, and less time shouting at the rain in a forum, and blaming everyone else for their problems, we'd have fewer threads like this, and even fewer whiners like you.
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

Arkerus's Avatar


Arkerus
07.09.2013 , 03:34 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin View Post
The ppl who use forums are the ones that also are most interested in the game and it's development. If someone can't bother to look at a poll once per week - they dont deserve a say in "what spieces" gets implemented either imo.

Either way, i dont really trust your "reason" for not hosting polls. I think its more a matter of not wanting to highlight player "wants" publically because BW knows tthey have a history of failing to deliver any of the poll options.

Prove me wrong by showing me some grand plans for open world pvp, as per this poll you actually did host. Which of these options is in the works to be implemented eh?
That's complete BS.

People who don't use these forums directly are just as concerned as any other soap boxer on this forum. Some more, some less. Its a wash.

See, what YOU don't understand is that YOU aren't that important. Bioware needs to appeal to a much larger base then just the critical vocalists on the forums. You might "care" about the game more (but really you don't) but Bioware doesn't care. Your caring about the game doesn't translate into a good business model. Its the silent majority that needs to be happy.

Bioware will make decisions that benefit the game, not just the 12 people who think they know how to design an MMO.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Twin's Avatar


Twin
07.09.2013 , 03:41 PM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by Superman_AZ View Post

PvP is for kids who are bored with playing Call of Duty. Also, living in the REAL WORLD, you find out early on that promises are worth less than the paper they are written on. Maybe if people spent more time playing a game they claim to like, and less time shouting at the rain in a forum, and blaming everyone else for their problems, we'd have fewer threads like this, and even fewer whiners like you.
Aww, so cute! <3

And i dont know about you, but when i make a promise irl i tend to keep it. Same goes for everyone i know. Glad you agree with me that BW's promises are worth less than the paper they are written on though! =)
SKARECROW
The Crestfallen Legacy
Assassin | Sorcerer | Marauder | Sniper | Mercenary
"You should never trust quotes you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln

Twin's Avatar


Twin
07.09.2013 , 03:48 PM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
That's complete BS.

People who don't use these forums directly are just as concerned as any other soap boxer on this forum. Some more, some less. Its a wash.

See, what YOU don't understand is that YOU aren't that important. Bioware needs to appeal to a much larger base then just the critical vocalists on the forums. You might "care" about the game more (but really you don't) but Bioware doesn't care. Your caring about the game doesn't translate into a good business model. Its the silent majority that needs to be happy.

Bioware will make decisions that benefit the game, not just the 12 people who think they know how to design an MMO.
No they are not. What im saying is; If BW hosted weekly polls, every "monday" where we actually could influence the games diretion in various areas - then the most dedicated players would vote in that poll for sure.

And according to you that would mean that shipload of new ppl would log into the forums and vote - while i think the difference would be marginal because the most dedicated players that wants to influence the game, they are allready here.

Please elaborate why a commited and dedicated player that wants to influence the games direction wouldn't read the forum at least once per week.
SKARECROW
The Crestfallen Legacy
Assassin | Sorcerer | Marauder | Sniper | Mercenary
"You should never trust quotes you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln

branmakmuffin's Avatar


branmakmuffin
07.09.2013 , 03:53 PM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin View Post
Speak for yourself. I know for a fact that the absolutly most dedicated players in any MMO also use the forums.
Tell us some more stuff you "know." Who was on the Grassy Knoll? The moon landings were faked?

EricMusco's Avatar


EricMusco
07.09.2013 , 03:54 PM | #86 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Kurin View Post
Eric-

None of your explanations hold water for me. First, if only a small number of people read your forums, then why do you bother? Why are you even employed as a community manager, if you are only helping 5% of the player base? Seems like BW could put your salary to better use by killing your job and hiring another developer/designer. That would make 95% of the player base happier, with more content for their money.

Second, you've done a decent job of saying when something isn't a "guarantee". Like today's patch, that's coming out tomorrow. The forums will talk about it, of course. But I'd rather bad news, than no news.

And that's what you are saying. You 5% don't matter enough for us to ask your opinion, because the negative backlash isn't worth it. Ummmm...honestly, is that really the message you were hoping to send? I sure hope not.
Hey Kurin!

Forums are a place for discussion, more so than any other medium (such as social media), so the forums are a great place for the Community team to communicate and have conversations with players. That is why you see our activity here. Just in case there was any confusion though, our role as a Community team goes well beyond just the forums, this is where our impact is just most visible (yellow posts!). We also help give feedback and coordinate all marketing publishes to the site, provide feedback to the development team on bugs and future Game Updates, and coordinate and run all Cantina events just to name a few.

To your second question, we absolutely value feedback from the forums. In fact, we regularly pass on suggestions, bugs, and questions from the forums onto our development team. This is also why we continue to communicate with players as often as we do.

This is very different than a poll though. Even with me setting the precedent that something is not a guarantee, players on the forums will often look at a poll as something which "validates an opinion." In using the species example from before, I saw someone propose a great example which I am going to steal

Let's say we make a poll about which species players would like to see added next on the forums, and 70% of the poll answers Togruta. Then, in our metrics and data gathering from multiple sources outside the forums, we see that 70% of that data, which is of a higher volume, says players want Gungans. When we announce the next species is Gungans, players on the forums will only look at that poll which was posted here and try to exclaim that "everyone wants Togruta."

Certainly we could explain that it is not that way, and that we have other means of gathering data. We could say polls are just a way to gauge opinions from one audience. We could say polls are never a guarantee of a choice being made. Even with all of that, polls by their very nature set a mindset that "this thing won, so you should go with it."

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Ayelinna's Avatar


Ayelinna
07.09.2013 , 04:03 PM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post


Let's say we make a poll about which species players would like to see added next on the forums, and 70% of the poll answers Togruta. Then, in our metrics and data gathering from multiple sources outside the forums, we see that 70% of that data, which is of a higher volume, says players want Gungans. When we announce the next species is Gungans, players on the forums will only look at that poll which was posted here and try to exclaim that "everyone wants Togruta."

-eric
Well, make both then? And let the subscribers on the forums decide which one they would rather have for free, the other would be on the CM and tradeable and therefore available to everyone.

I see you make items and weapons and blasters all the time with the cartel packs. How about take some of the really cool ones out...make a poll and ask the forum members (or poll voters) which one they would like as a gift....because all forum members are subscribers right? And keep the other ones in game....still...available to everyone.

Darth_Moonshadow's Avatar


Darth_Moonshadow
07.09.2013 , 04:09 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Ayelinna View Post
Well, make both then? And let the subscribers on the forums decide which one they would rather have for free, the other would be on the CM and tradeable and therefore available to everyone.

I see you make items and weapons and blasters all the time with the cartel packs. How about take some of the really cool ones out...make a poll and ask the forum members (or poll voters) which one they would like as a gift....because all forum members are subscribers right? And keep the other ones in game....still...available to everyone.
Will you stop trying to make everything about Subscriber Exclusivity? Get over it. You weren't born special. You will probably never be special. You will probably be average like everyone else in the world. Deal with it like everyone else does who wanted to be special and never did.

Force your children into show business and live vicariously through them!
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

Ayelinna's Avatar


Ayelinna
07.09.2013 , 04:11 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
Will you stop trying to make everything about Subscriber Exclusivity? Get over it. You weren't born special. You will probably never be special. You will probably be average like everyone else in the world. Deal with it like everyone else does who wanted to be special and never did.

Force your children into show business and live vicariously through them!
By your ignorance I assume you've never heard of "role players" and /or "feeling like a valued customer".

JimG's Avatar


JimG
07.09.2013 , 04:14 PM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by Kurin View Post
Eric-

None of your explanations hold water for me. First, if only a small number of people read your forums, then why do you bother? Why are you even employed as a community manager, if you are only helping 5% of the player base? Seems like BW could put your salary to better use by killing your job and hiring another developer/designer. That would make 95% of the player base happier, with more content for their money.

Second, you've done a decent job of saying when something isn't a "guarantee". Like today's patch, that's coming out tomorrow. The forums will talk about it, of course. But I'd rather bad news, than no news.

And that's what you are saying. You 5% don't matter enough for us to ask your opinion, because the negative backlash isn't worth it. Ummmm...honestly, is that really the message you were hoping to send? I sure hope not.
You obviously don't know what the community team does if you think it's just the forums.

Has there ever been a problem with people on the forums expressing their opinions? That's basically all the general discussion section of the forums is these days. All he's saying is that BW creating a poll for forum users will give the wrong impression the results of the poll are more important and represent more players than it actually does. Frankly, an in-game poll or an email poll would be the way to go if they were going to do any kind of poll.