Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware please make weekly polls

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Bioware please make weekly polls
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Twin
07.09.2013 , 02:39 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

Thought this might be a good place to explain our reasoning on why you don't see a lot of polls from us on the forums. Some of you have already covered some of them but I thought it would be good to get some yellow text behind it.

I think the first and most important thing is that by us posting a poll, folks will assume that the winner is guaranteed to see action. If we say "What species would you like to see in SWTOR?" and Togruta wins, in your example. Everyone will assume we are definitely going to add Togruta to the game. Unfortunately, it just wouldn't work that way.

Another reason is that you have to realize how much of a minority of players actually use the forums. Without looking at the actual numbers and guessing from the top of my head, I would say less than 5% of our subscribers use the forums regularly. Keep in mind that even less than that % would even answer the poll. That is a pretty tiny group of folks to let make actionable decisions on, which is why we use a lot of facets of data (including the forums) to make decisions, and not them alone.

One time where we have used polls, like for the Party Jawa, is when we already have plans in place to implement all of the relevant choices. The Party Jawa, which won the poll (on the forums and on Facebook) was given to players for appreciation, while the other two were still available but placed in the market.

I am not saying you will never see polls from us again, but they are tricky as players tend to take them as a guarantee, as opposed to just a tool to gauge opinion.

Hopefully that makes sense!

-eric
The ppl who use forums are the ones that also are most interested in the game and it's development. If someone can't bother to look at a poll once per week - they dont deserve a say in "what spieces" gets implemented either imo.

Either way, i dont really trust your "reason" for not hosting polls. I think its more a matter of not wanting to highlight player "wants" publically because BW knows tthey have a history of failing to deliver any of the poll options.

Prove me wrong by showing me some grand plans for open world pvp, as per this poll you actually did host. Which of these options is in the works to be implemented eh?
SKARECROW
The Crestfallen Legacy
Assassin | Sorcerer | Marauder | Sniper | Mercenary
"You should never trust quotes you read on the internet" Abraham Lincoln

sofakingzoe
07.09.2013 , 02:39 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

Thought this might be a good place to explain our reasoning on why you don't see a lot of polls from us on the forums. Some of you have already covered some of them but I thought it would be good to get some yellow text behind it.

I think the first and most important thing is that by us posting a poll, folks will assume that the winner is guaranteed to see action. If we say "What species would you like to see in SWTOR?" and Togruta wins, in your example. Everyone will assume we are definitely going to add Togruta to the game. Unfortunately, it just wouldn't work that way.

Another reason is that you have to realize how much of a minority of players actually use the forums. Without looking at the actual numbers and guessing from the top of my head, I would say less than 5% of our subscribers use the forums regularly. Keep in mind that even less than that % would even answer the poll. That is a pretty tiny group of folks to let make actionable decisions on, which is why we use a lot of facets of data (including the forums) to make decisions, and not them alone.

One time where we have used polls, like for the Party Jawa, is when we already have plans in place to implement all of the relevant choices. The Party Jawa, which won the poll (on the forums and on Facebook) was given to players for appreciation, while the other two were still available but placed in the market.

I am not saying you will never see polls from us again, but they are tricky as players tend to take them as a guarantee, as opposed to just a tool to gauge opinion.

Hopefully that makes sense!

-eric
This has got to be one of the most sensible, down to earth no-bs PR replies I've had the chance of reading in a while.

branmakmuffin
07.09.2013 , 02:42 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin View Post
The ppl who use forums are the ones that also are most interested in the game and it's development. If someone can't bother to look at a poll once per week - they dont deserve a say in "what spieces" gets implemented either imo.
No, people on the forums just want to say stuff. It has nothing to do with "love of the game."

Ayelinna
07.09.2013 , 02:45 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
No, people on the forums just want to say stuff. It has nothing to do with "love of the game."
Oh my god you don't realize how wrong you are lol

Twin
07.09.2013 , 02:47 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
Speak for yourself. I know for a fact that the absolutly most dedicated players in any MMO also use the forums. Not several hours per day, maybe not even more then 5min - but they do use them. Because THATS where announcements are made.

There are of course exceptions, but those are a minority. Do you really mean to tell me that SWTORs most dedicated players and those who want to influence the games direction, do not check the forums for news every week? lol...
SKARECROW
The Crestfallen Legacy

Superman_AZ
07.09.2013 , 02:49 PM | #76
Either way, i dont really trust your "reason" for not hosting polls. I think its more a matter of not wanting to highlight player "wants" publically because BW knows tthey have a history of failing to deliver any of the poll options.
I have to know where you bought your tin foil hat and do they make them in different sizes? I have an uncle that always responds to honest answers the same way.
"I'll explain. And I'll use small words so that you'll be sure to understand, you warthog-faced buffoon."
Westley ~ The Princess Bride

Superman_AZ
07.09.2013 , 02:55 PM | #77
Do you really mean to tell me that SWTORs most dedicated players and those who want to influence the games direction, do not check the forums for news every week? lol...

Players who love the game stay AWAY from the forums because of things that people like you and I say in them. They would rather just play the game and have fun, because it is just a game. If something doesn't happen, it is not the end of the world as they know it.
"I'll explain. And I'll use small words so that you'll be sure to understand, you warthog-faced buffoon."
Westley ~ The Princess Bride

Ayelinna
07.09.2013 , 02:57 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Superman_AZ View Post

Players who love the game stay AWAY from the forums because of things that people like you and I say in them. They would rather just play the game and have fun, because it is just a game. If something doesn't happen, it is not the end of the world as they know it.
Are you saying that everyone on the forum hates the game? What about people who use the forums AND use the game huh?

If its just a game, why are you here?

Twin
07.09.2013 , 02:59 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Ayelinna View Post
Are you saying that everyone on the forum hates the game? What about people who use the forums AND use the game huh?

If its just a game, why are you here?
lol, yeah i guess he failed to see the irony of his own posts huh? =)
SKARECROW
The Crestfallen Legacy

Twin
07.09.2013 , 03:04 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by Superman_AZ View Post
I have to know where you bought your tin foil hat and do they make them in different sizes? I have an uncle that always responds to honest answers the same way.
Orly? Because BW usually lives up to their promises? Please tell me more about how you dont pvp.
SKARECROW
The Crestfallen Legacy