Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Bioware please make weekly polls

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Bioware please make weekly polls
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Pistols's Avatar


Pistols
07.09.2013 , 11:55 AM | #21
I remember back in the day they did a few polls, where the community felt as if they mattered...

Before the dark times, before the Empire.

I'd be down for them again.

SteelPiranha's Avatar


SteelPiranha
07.09.2013 , 12:00 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Ayelinna View Post
Picking on me personally is the same thing as harassing. And you must be pretty creepy to get kicks out of picking on 15 year old girls over the internet.
Why would you bring your age into this? You're further derailing your own thread. Back on topic please.

Superman_AZ's Avatar


Superman_AZ
07.09.2013 , 12:01 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Inflicktion View Post
Not entirely true, we did pick the Party Jawa.

I rest my case as to how useful polling is... lawl
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

KettleBelll's Avatar


KettleBelll
07.09.2013 , 12:22 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Superman_AZ View Post

That poll would likely have Gold Bikinis at the top of the list, followed by black on black ninja gear. Giving the public a voice is not always wise. Just look at the OP and her posts.
Thread winner.

I'm pretty sure I want combat amazings to stop hitching/ghosting though.

EricMusco's Avatar


EricMusco
07.09.2013 , 12:27 PM | #25 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey folks,

Thought this might be a good place to explain our reasoning on why you don't see a lot of polls from us on the forums. Some of you have already covered some of them but I thought it would be good to get some yellow text behind it.

I think the first and most important thing is that by us posting a poll, folks will assume that the winner is guaranteed to see action. If we say "What species would you like to see in SWTOR?" and Togruta wins, in your example. Everyone will assume we are definitely going to add Togruta to the game. Unfortunately, it just wouldn't work that way.

Another reason is that you have to realize how much of a minority of players actually use the forums. Without looking at the actual numbers and guessing from the top of my head, I would say less than 5% of our subscribers use the forums regularly. Keep in mind that even less than that % would even answer the poll. That is a pretty tiny group of folks to let make actionable decisions on, which is why we use a lot of facets of data (including the forums) to make decisions, and not them alone.

One time where we have used polls, like for the Party Jawa, is when we already have plans in place to implement all of the relevant choices. The Party Jawa, which won the poll (on the forums and on Facebook) was given to players for appreciation, while the other two were still available but placed in the market.

I am not saying you will never see polls from us again, but they are tricky as players tend to take them as a guarantee, as opposed to just a tool to gauge opinion.

Hopefully that makes sense!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Superman_AZ's Avatar


Superman_AZ
07.09.2013 , 12:39 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

Thought this might be a good place to explain our reasoning on why you don't see a lot of polls from us on the forums. Some of you have already covered some of them but I thought it would be good to get some yellow text behind it.

I think the first and most important thing is that by us posting a poll, folks will assume that the winner is guaranteed to see action. If we say "What species would you like to see in SWTOR?" and Togruta wins, in your example. Everyone will assume we are definitely going to add Togruta to the game. Unfortunately, it just wouldn't work that way.

Another reason is that you have to realize how much of a minority of players actually use the forums. Without looking at the actual numbers and guessing from the top of my head, I would say less than 5% of our subscribers use the forums regularly. Keep in mind that even less than that % would even answer the poll. That is a pretty tiny group of folks to let make actionable decisions on, which is why we use a lot of facets of data (including the forums) to make decisions, and not them alone.

One time where we have used polls, like for the Party Jawa, is when we already have plans in place to implement all of the relevant choices. The Party Jawa, which won the poll (on the forums and on Facebook) was given to players for appreciation, while the other two were still available but placed in the market.

I am not saying you will never see polls from us again, but they are tricky as players tend to take them as a guarantee, as opposed to just a tool to gauge opinion.

Hopefully that makes sense!

-eric

Thanks for taking the time to clarify that and gives us some background on BW's stance. Makes sense
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

Ayelinna's Avatar


Ayelinna
07.09.2013 , 12:39 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
[color=#f9d648]
I think the first and most important thing is that by us posting a poll, folks will assume that the winner is guaranteed to see action. If we say "What species would you like to see in SWTOR?" and Togruta wins, in your example. Everyone will assume we are definitely going to add Togruta to the game. Unfortunately, it just wouldn't work that way.
Thats what a poll is for, to see what the players want. I would assume that people who play the game and also use the forums are more active than people who dont care about anything and just play the game and never use the forums...

So basically we have no say in what goes in the game?

Darth_Moonshadow's Avatar


Darth_Moonshadow
07.09.2013 , 12:41 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Ayelinna View Post
So basically we have no say in what goes in the game?
No, he's saying that if they poll you, don't expect it to be a guaranteed feature by the next patch.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

ninjonxb's Avatar


ninjonxb
07.09.2013 , 12:41 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

Thought this might be a good place to explain our reasoning on why you don't see a lot of polls from us on the forums. Some of you have already covered some of them but I thought it would be good to get some yellow text behind it.

I think the first and most important thing is that by us posting a poll, folks will assume that the winner is guaranteed to see action. If we say "What species would you like to see in SWTOR?" and Togruta wins, in your example. Everyone will assume we are definitely going to add Togruta to the game. Unfortunately, it just wouldn't work that way.

Another reason is that you have to realize how much of a minority of players actually use the forums. Without looking at the actual numbers and guessing from the top of my head, I would say less than 5% of our subscribers use the forums regularly. Keep in mind that even less than that % would even answer the poll. That is a pretty tiny group of folks to let make actionable decisions on, which is why we use a lot of facets of data (including the forums) to make decisions, and not them alone.

One time where we have used polls, like for the Party Jawa, is when we already have plans in place to implement all of the relevant choices. The Party Jawa, which won the poll (on the forums and on Facebook) was given to players for appreciation, while the other two were still available but placed in the market.

I am not saying you will never see polls from us again, but they are tricky as players tend to take them as a guarantee, as opposed to just a tool to gauge opinion.

Hopefully that makes sense!

-eric
So I understand the first reason. A poll can't guarantee something happening.

However, For the forum reason. What about some sort of in game polling system. (Aion does something like this) with a reward for doing it. Keeping the polls simple (this would also not disclose the results to anyone except you)
Free goodies (referral link)
Thank you Bioware for adding in Same Sex Story Arcs .^.
How I feel reading the SWTOR forums http://i.imgur.com/tCp90.gif
SWTOR Calendar of Events(Forum Post)(Google Calendar, iCal, Twitter)

Ayelinna's Avatar


Ayelinna
07.09.2013 , 12:42 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
No, he's saying that if they poll you, don't expect it to be a guaranteed feature by the next patch.
So it why would they make a poll if they have no 100% intention to make what the best choice was?

Thats the reason I made this thread, I wanted Bioware to make polls and whatever got the best votes was a guaranteed feature at some point.