Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Call me greedy...entitled.. all you want..

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Call me greedy...entitled.. all you want..
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ZionHalcyon
07.08.2013 , 10:06 AM | #251
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
What JPryde said.

Reminds me of one time when I told my wife I had a present for her, and she got all excited. When she saw it was just a movie DvD she couldn't hide her disappointment and said in disbelief 'THAT'S MY PRESENT?!' I would have been better off not announcing the present in advance, or just giving her a gift card with funds on it instead.
You guys can joke about that all you want.

The thing is, it isn't people's nature when told "subscriber appreciation" that they are just getting cartel coins.

If it was just coins, then better to have told everyone up front that subs will be getting a one time bonus of cartel coins. By making it all secret and "you'll find out 4th of July weekend!" - something that was simple was subjected to needless speculation over something that could have been told to us from the beginning to manage our expectations.

By NOT telling us, it HEAVILY implies something far more substantial than cartel coins to the common person, because whats the point of keeping quiet over a one time CC bonus? That does not make sense to most people I'd wager.

The point posts like this seem to be missing is that the reason the gift was poorly received isn't necessarily because it was a bad gift, but because people were led on to think it was going to be something more than that due to Bioware's mishandling of this, which unfortunately, is becoming a repeated theme over the past year, year and a half in terms of communication.

And that's not to say we shouldn't be told anything - the problem isn't that we're being immature in how we get our information - the problem is that Bioware still hasn't learned what to hype and what to just come clean with when it comes to certain things. Overhyping the Image Design for instance while not coming clean that it will cost cartel coins, or overhyping what ended up being a bonus cartel grant.

Just saying in my position, if it were me, I would have just said at the appropriate time that as a TY to subs, we will be rewarding a 1 time CC grant some time around 4th of July weekend, amount TBD. There, done, yes some people will still whine, but EVERYONE will know what to expect and nothing will be needlessly overhyped.

But, just as a thing, if it were me?

I would have given all Subs an item that generates a random speeder from the discontinued Korrialis speeder series and made them tradeable to other subs only. Since the improvements that prevent the issues from accessing items on fleet since they were discontinued, that would have been a nice sub perk for everyone and actually worthy of the hype.

Or maybe I would have allowed all subs one free armor set from the cartel market? They still would have to pay CC to unlock for other characters.

I mean, there is a bunch of ways to go that actually would have had a better impact. It really does feel like, from the way it was built up, that the people in charge of deciding this just ran out of time or ideas and just decided to throw some CCs at the subs to shut us up about it...

Apeth
07.08.2013 , 10:10 AM | #252
What JPryde said.

Reminds me of one time when I told my wife I had a present for her, and she got all excited. When she saw it was just a movie DvD she couldn't hide her disappointment and said in disbelief 'THAT'S MY PRESENT?!' I would have been better off not announcing the present in advance, or just giving her a gift card with funds on it instead.
I got three things to say to this Bruce.

1. I'm happy with the coins.
2. You'll never please everyone I bet most people are also happy with coins.
3. I wouldn't have minded a jumper.
4. What was the DVD?
Jeracho/Jera-cho/Ezekeol ' Triumvirate of the Grey'- Masters of Light and Dark, Darths of the Sith Empire. Memeber of the Apostles of the Force - Red Eclipse.

Desolaytore
07.08.2013 , 10:15 AM | #253
Quote: Originally Posted by Apeth View Post
I got three things to say to this Bruce.

4. What was the DVD?
Pr0nz. Buhahaha
"I hear them enter my domain, children unknowing. They will serve..." - The Infernal One
Lightning flashes of insight, Into the mirth of a dark sky,
Pain of division is nothing, Joy of dissolution is everything.

dizzystorm
07.08.2013 , 10:16 AM | #254
Wait, that was NOT our mothly CC? well thats fail, no one told me! well atleast i got that random item for 10CC which will be opn the GTN soon...
oh noes! i gotta get from lvl 19 to lvl 50 before the Makeb early access is released!
MISSION FAILED!

Desolaytore
07.08.2013 , 10:20 AM | #255
Quote: Originally Posted by dizzystorm View Post
Wait, that was NOT our mothly CC? well thats fail, no one told me! well atleast i got that random item for 10CC which will be opn the GTN soon...
That's the first thing I thought when I logged in...

Hey Bioware, I'll trade back my CC for a Codex fix
"I hear them enter my domain, children unknowing. They will serve..." - The Infernal One

Kesphin
07.08.2013 , 10:23 AM | #256
What JPryde said.

You should know that offering a DVD to someone is like saying "I don't care, you're nothing to me but I had to get you a gift, anyway you can go **** yourself". It's like offering socks or deodorant ; it's a slap in the face.

Girls enjoy diamonds, gamers like content.

Now I know why swtor is in this state...

Desolaytore
07.08.2013 , 10:26 AM | #257
Quote: Originally Posted by Kesphin View Post
You should know that offering a DVD to someone is like saying "I don't care, you're nothing to me but I had to get you a gift, anyway you can go **** yourself". It's like offering socks or deodorant ; it's a slap in the face.

Now I know why swtor is in this state...
He best pray his wife doesn't read the forums.

Darth_Moonshadow
07.08.2013 , 10:29 AM | #258
What JPryde said.

Boy can I relate. I told Jaesa I planned a special genocide of a large furry species. I took her to Kashyyyk and covered her eyes. When I took her out to their jungle homes and did the big reveal, she Force choked me and slammed me about like a ragdoll, screaming that she wanted to kill Wampas on Hoth.

Women, am I right, fellas?

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

Drebs
07.08.2013 , 10:31 AM | #259
What JPryde said.

So, I'm perfectly happy with my subscription and what I get for it. I don't need anything more. But as soon as I heard about this 500 CC thing I knew it wasn't going to go over well.

First, its temporary. The problem of subscribers not feeling valued is only going to keep emerging once they've burned through this amount of coins, which is less than a monthly stipend.

I think you guys need to focus on giving subs something that was not part of the base game. A lot of us have been playing since last year, and your approach when converting to F2P was not to give subs something extra, it was primarily to restrict the F2P experience. That's fine, but it doesn't make a subscriber feel more valued when their play experience is virtually unchanged.

I recently heard about Rift's F2P conversion, and one of the things that subs got there were exclusive "abilities" with a 24-hour cooldown that would provide an XP, reputation, or valor boost. Now, we can obviously buy boosts from the Cartel Market with our stipend, and that may very equate to more or better boosts than we'd get with an ability that lasts an hour a day, but it doesn't have the same uniqueness. Anyone with some pocket change can buy a valor boost, but as a subscriber, I have a unique once-a-day ability to get get it.

Focus on incentives that feel more exclusive, and I think the good will you generate will go much further towards yielding positive results.

Primarch_PWnD
07.08.2013 , 10:32 AM | #260
Context is important though, simply saying this was a "gift" and that we're total ingrates is completely inaccurate.

We were told it was a gift for subscribers because of the bad feelings from the patch "2.1 - Cartel Cash Grab".

In other words, you had a bunch of subscribers upset about the omnipresent Cartel Market, so to show us "appreciation" you give us coins to buy stuff on the Cartel Market? And then announce that in order to celebrate KOTOR's anniversary, we have to buy the title with Cartel Coins?

It's almost unbelievable.

So, it's not that I don't like the "gift", I don't like the concept. It's like saying the Trojans shouldn't be upset about what the giant wooden horse turned out to be, they should just be thankful that the Greeks built it and gave it to them.....
Profiteers of War and Destruction

Prophecy of the Five