Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jedi Consular vs. Sith Asssassin (Storyline)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Jedi Consular vs. Sith Asssassin (Storyline)

BradTheImpaler
07.07.2013 , 09:46 PM | #21
I haven't played the Sith Assassin storyline, but in a moment of boredom I finally decided to finish the Consular storyline, and the ending left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't generally play Republic faction in any case, and the story had its moments, but overall it felt unremarkable and like running errands for upstart politicians (Tai Cordan and...ugh...Saresh) rather than like upholding "peace and justice in the Old Republic".
In the Imperial Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.

SithKoriandr
07.07.2013 , 09:52 PM | #22
Consular gets told they're powerful. They're just not looked at the same.

Consular storyline Chapter 1 plays out much better during double XP weekends imo. You can concentrate on just the storyline, which for Consular I think makes it work much better.

Inquisitor has the best lines of all 4 Force Classes imo. Her snarkiness and whining every now and again just sells the Inquisitor (again imo).

"It was me! ME! ME! ME!"

"I'll give you till the count of three."
"You wouldn't dare! We'd all die!"
"One." *kills one of the enemies* "Now give it to me."
"No! Wait! We can make a deal."
"Two." *kills another*

While I didn't see it as a problem myself, I can see why some people would have problems with the Consular. Out of all the classes (regardless of being force user or not) it's the one most set on being all LS. The other 7 do well on going a combo of LS/DS and don't do to badly going all LS or DS (all DS has some issues for some, but not nearly as bad as Consular).

Every major enemy in Chapter 1 is a good person doing bad things because they're being mind controlled. It's not their actions. So when given the choice to kill them for what they did while not even in control of their actions, you're basically killing them because someone used their body to do bad things.

Just doesn't play out well.

Then we get to the last enemies of Chapter 3. Inquisitor for some reason they (BW) decided, "Oh hey! Look! You have him on the ground beaten. But you don't get the option to deliver the killing blow!"

Consular gets an enemy that is under the same fate (different tho) as the main enemies of Chapter 1.

Knight and Warrior, you get obviously evil enemies that you can go LS or DS with and not feel bad about either one.

Consular and Inquisitor both get told and show just how powerful they are, but not as blatantly as Knight and Warrior. I think that's to be expected though.

Knight and Warrior are the "You're powerful Anakin!" basically the epic hero archetype/story. Consular and Inquisitor get shown to be powerful, but theirs is a story of a more personal story. Less the "YOU'RE FATED TO DO THIS!"

Inquisitor gets told they're from a powerful line. Gets looked down on due to be a slave.

Consular is just more calm than the Knight.

Which leads me to the other part of Consular that likely doesn't go over well. They should've made the Consular snarky like the Inquisitor. Maybe even someone from Imperial Space. I'm not sure if the Consular was intended to sound so calm and peaceful or if that's just how the voice actor played it, but I feel if they added some dialogue along the lines of the Inquisitor or Smuggler, the storyline would've played out way better for more people I think.

In a nutshell...

Knight and Warrior to their respective sects is "You're so gifted and powerful."

Consular and Inquisitor to their respective sects is "I didn't realize just how gifted and powerful you really are!"

How it seemed to me anyways.

Now mind you, when I say Consular is much more LS, doesn't mean there aren't some DS opportunities, just most of the time it seems much more out of left field, *** was that, when chosen.

Consular storyline also just gets better through the acts imo. While I can't help but put Agent storyline first in which was the best storyline, I still enjoyed Consular and Inquisitor storylines more than the Knight and Warrior storylines.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

SithKoriandr
07.07.2013 , 10:00 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by BradTheImpaler View Post
I haven't played the Sith Assassin storyline, but in a moment of boredom I finally decided to finish the Consular storyline, and the ending left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't generally play Republic faction in any case, and the story had its moments, but overall it felt unremarkable and like running errands for upstart politicians (Tai Cordan and...ugh...Saresh) rather than like upholding "peace and justice in the Old Republic".
Consular is much more the diplomat than the Knight is. Knight pretty much goes "Lets fight it out!" Consular is just as likely to talk it out as fight it out (if not try to talk it out more).

I was also under the impression the First Son was one of the most powerful force users in the galaxy, but yeah, I can see why it's ending wasn't as satisfying as some others. You don't go up against an obvious bad guy as you do with many of the other stories.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Ajunta_Maul
02.07.2015 , 08:32 AM | #24
JC(star wars is a diplomatico story)

Exosasa
02.08.2015 , 12:08 AM | #25
SI story is my fav in the game. Many people hate it, though. If you know your background info, look at the philosophical meanings of stuff, and look at the big picture, it's a beautiful piece of art.

Amadahy
02.09.2015 , 06:35 PM | #26
I say go with the class you love. I have both SI and JC and enjoyed both stories quite a bit.

Jedi Consular was harder for me to through than Inquisitor. Simply because, as others have said, the first chapter drags and is rather dull. By the end of Nar Shaddaa, I was already tired of Chapter 1 plot and shelved Kateiah for a bit. Chapter 2, and Chapter 3, are way, way, WAY better in my opinion.

Keep in mind, I did not play my JC as a typical light side Jedi. Once I came back to the class, I decided to go as neutral as possible. Right now, at level 58, her alignment sits at 50 Light. I didn't want Kateiah dark or light, but right smack in the middle. Once I did this, oh my was it incredibly fun. She maintained the calmness that is the Jedi Consular with a little snark mixed in. Additionally, when she got angry it was almost a thing a beautiful, and the voice acting was great.

As for the Inquisitor, the same applies for Chapter 1 but the snark and brilliant one-liners make up for it.
Alcaeus Legacy
Captain Naeila & Agent Melena
Harbinger

Raphael_diSanto
02.09.2015 , 10:27 PM | #27
All I have to say is... If you want to be the hero of the story, don't play Consular. It doesn't pander to a player's ego, which is one of the reasons why I far prefer it to the Knight's story.

eldefail
02.10.2015 , 01:59 PM | #28
Consular story really picks up after Act 1. While I personally enjoyed the whole story even after playing the Warrior story, I can totally see how act 1 might kill somebody's desire to see the story any further lol.

It has continuity problems, the story shoehorns you into being some kind of light side character (not necessarily all LS, but definitely up there) because most of your DS choices are "I'm going to kill you because shut up". They just don't feel as motivated, not even by any rational, relatable sense of greed and personal gain.

Your act 1 villains aren't in control of their mental faculties. What are you going to do, kill somebody who's literally been mind controlled and blame them for the actions of the person using them? An argument could be made for not finding the trade-off the shield spell does to the Consular being worth it in order to increase the odds of defeating the act 1 Big Bad, but I felt like the story didn't really reflect this well enough. If you kill certain "villains" there's also another problem--one of them is present at the act 1 finale regardless (unless this has since been hotfixed, it's been a while) and the council will mention all the Jedi Masters you saved even if you killed them all.

The story's complete lack of polish and Act 1's poor execution put a real damper on the story. Act 2 really picks up and you start to see a few more rational and pragmatic dark side choices.

Other than the fact that the story appears to have been written by somebody inexperienced with story telling and writing (which I hear is actually the case) my only gripe are the voice actors. I don't know if the male voice gets better, but the female one definitely improves after Tython. She does have moments of snark, but many of her lines feel flat and emotionless. Even in the movies the Jedi weren't flat and emotionless, this seems to be a Bioware thing. Where this really becomes evident, however, are the scenes that should be emotionally gripping--like the Act 3 finale. Instead, we get something like Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka flatly stating "Stop. Police. Murder." when things are going to hell in a hand basket.

The act 3 finale should be a little more emotionally charged, what happens is a big freaking deal that could and should rattle the Consular as well as the Council.

I've only done act 1 on the inquisitor and it's better than the consular's act 1. But not much. I honestly feel like Zash carried most of the story, but wasn't terribly enthused that the story wanted the inquisitor, who was a slave in the Empire and by all rights SHOULD know better, to be surprised by the act 1 Big Bad. Even after others warn you that something's up whoever wrote the story really wanted the Inquisitor to be taken by surprise.

The voices here share similar complaints to the Consular voices. The female voice grew on me more quickly, though, as many of her lines are tinged with snark and sarcasm.

Damask_Rose
02.10.2015 , 06:23 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by eldefail View Post
Other than the fact that the story appears to have been written by somebody inexperienced with story telling and writing (which I hear is actually the case) my only gripe are the voice actors. I don't know if the male voice gets better, but the female one definitely improves after Tython. She does have moments of snark, but many of her lines feel flat and emotionless. Even in the movies the Jedi weren't flat and emotionless, this seems to be a Bioware thing. Where this really becomes evident, however, are the scenes that should be emotionally gripping--like the Act 3 finale. Instead, we get something like Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka flatly stating "Stop. Police. Murder." when things are going to hell in a hand basket.

The act 3 finale should be a little more emotionally charged, what happens is a big freaking deal that could and should rattle the Consular as well as the Council.
The female VA totally ruined the consular story for me. I didn't think she ever improved. (I think her complete lack of emotion is part of why the Iresso romance is so very, very bland.) I found the male VA a little better, but maybe I just got used to monotone by the time I started playing him.

Please let me change Theron's clothes!

And fix Vector & Scourge's clothing issues too!

Kaisernick
02.11.2015 , 04:19 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Exosasa View Post
SI story is my fav in the game. Many people hate it, though. If you know your background info, look at the philosophical meanings of stuff, and look at the big picture, it's a beautiful piece of art.
dont get me wrong i do like it but there are bits i think that ruin it.
Spoiler