Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Good idea/ Bad idea for guardian?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Good idea/ Bad idea for guardian?

Qaoz's Avatar


Qaoz
07.07.2013 , 05:23 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by KurtDunn View Post
That is needlessly adversarial. You should be working as a constructive teammate, within a constructive team.
Tell that to the trigger-happy damage dealers who are risking a wipe every trash pull because they want to gogogogo!

It's not like I do this randomly for giggles; like I said: I do it to teach them a lesson, which usually means I've exhausted all other possible ways to make them understand that what they're doing is hurting the team.

Tanking can be stressful enough without having to compensate for overeager damage dealers.
If only I'd hit spacebar more often...

KurtDunn's Avatar


KurtDunn
07.07.2013 , 12:18 PM | #12
Are you putting any pauses between pulls? Are you waiting only as long as it takes for the healer to get in position and be at full resources?

Otherwise you will be moving too slowly for most groups. Part of your job as a tank in Flashpoints is to set to rhythm and pace of the run. If your DPS is pulling consistently, it is because you're not pulling quickly enough.

Flashpoints are dull when you've done them hundreds of times, and people, in order to enjoy them better, typically like to do them as quickly as possible. In one part so it's over sooner, and also for a bit of a challenge.

Luckeyduckey's Avatar


Luckeyduckey
07.07.2013 , 12:42 PM | #13
Does each tick reduce threat? I thought it was the activation, not the entire ability. All other threat drops are instant.

Eternalnight's Avatar


Eternalnight
07.07.2013 , 01:03 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Luckeyduckey View Post
Does each tick reduce threat? I thought it was the activation, not the entire ability. All other threat drops are instant.
It does both.

The initial activation of the ability immediately lowers your threat by a moderate amount (which if it is the same as most other threat dumps is is -20%).
After that each "tic" lowers your threat some more by small amount (-5%?) up to 10 times.

KeyboardNinja's Avatar


KeyboardNinja
07.07.2013 , 09:27 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Qaoz View Post
Tell that to the trigger-happy damage dealers who are risking a wipe every trash pull because they want to gogogogo!

It's not like I do this randomly for giggles; like I said: I do it to teach them a lesson, which usually means I've exhausted all other possible ways to make them understand that what they're doing is hurting the team.

Tanking can be stressful enough without having to compensate for overeager damage dealers.
I have some really ADD damage dealers in my raid group, to the point where we don't even CC things except in the EC trenches (it doesn't help that two of our three DPS are AoE dependent specs). I take it as a challenge. Granted, if they pull early and go nuts before I'm ready, I'll probably just let them die, but in general, I try pretty hard to manage every pull even with the DPS force sweeping and orbital striking everything in sight. Makes tanking more interesting. :-)
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Streaming Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

jaliscoautuick's Avatar


jaliscoautuick
07.19.2013 , 06:11 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
IGranted, if they pull early and go nuts before I'm ready, I'll probably just let them die. :-)
My favorite quote of the night =)

Words of wisdom and knowledge.

Sometimes, people need to pay out 20-30k in rep costs doing a normal hard mode to learn =)