Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Bolster PVP gear in ops


KettleBelll's Avatar


KettleBelll
07.07.2013 , 06:25 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Anthraxal View Post
Someone plays a minigame worth about 0.5% of the content and thinks he ought to be spoonfed the remaining 99.5%. Funny.

I give it 1/5, try to find something original by yourself next time.

AhhhhHHHH

Why are we letting French people have an opinion on these forums? +1 for PvP gear getting a bolster in operations.

MrJurgens's Avatar


MrJurgens
07.07.2013 , 06:36 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by uniz View Post
what you just posted about pve is EXACTLY what pvp is. you have only 8 mob types since launch. you have only a few instances. there is no world pvp. how can you keep queueing up into the same instances (warfronts) for pvp, kill the same 8 almost exactly the same spec mobs who will react almost the exactly the same way and call that challenging and not boring. even if they react differently you know you have a newb and will farm him for the valor piŮata that he is. that is pvp now days.

pvp is a minigame. it started out that way and still is in all mmos that copied the WOW pvp mechanic. eq1 had real pvp where you actually could only have ONE toon and you got to loot one item from a person when you killed them. it had none of the loser in warfront getting rewards crap.

pvp is nothing more than a minigame that solo players who play intermittently can log on and work toward some gear at their leisure. also it attracts the more instant gratification type of gamer which the op comes across as. imo pvp coupled in a pve mmo has ruined many with its mechanics being forced on pvers. but that is a different topic altogether.

raiding is a gear progression in every mmo. some have made it better than others but it is still there. you need beginning raid gear for the beginning raid zone(s) and then progress from there from lesser difficulty to more difficulty. some pvp has this too but the thing is. in pve you must actually WIN all the time.

bolster was only added to pvp to help SAVE it. since it was added more players got involved and played it on the pve servers. without it it would have died and bioware would have lost even more subscriptions. that is why we have bolster.

there is no need to change pve just because pvp was designed as a failure in this mmo.
LOL please do NOT compare PvE with PvP. PvP is, and always will be, way more dynamic than PvE will ever be. PvE is just static. I'm not sure how some people enjoy having to farm the same mobs over and over again, and beating the same bosses with just 3 different difficulties and a few more mechanics added into the harder ones. Don't try and make PvP sound at least almost just as static, because that doesn't work.

But it's funny how you PvE'ers want for bolster to stay away from PvE. I /agree tenfold to the addition of a bolster in PvE instances.

Octom's Avatar


Octom
07.07.2013 , 06:56 PM | #33
"Hey, Bioware. You know that broken system that you will never get right? Can you port that over to another portion of the game, too? It'll totally make it better."
Quote: Originally Posted by AdamChattaway View Post
doe snot

Falver's Avatar


Falver
07.08.2013 , 12:11 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Octom View Post
"Hey, Bioware. You know that broken system that you will never get right? Can you port that over to another portion of the game, too? It'll totally make it better."
Lol'd truth.

Anthraxal's Avatar


Anthraxal
07.08.2013 , 04:29 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by KettleBelll View Post
AhhhhHHHH

Why are we letting French people have an opinion on these forums? +1 for PvP gear getting a bolster in operations.
Because we rock your pants and we do it 4 teh lulz.
OT : denying PvP is a minigame is... denial.
Noim - Sorcerer Heal - Team FROG (DN)
French Online Gaming community UFROG

Hxxr's Avatar


Hxxr
07.08.2013 , 07:01 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by MrJurgens View Post
But it's funny how you PvE'ers want for bolster to stay away from PvE. I /agree tenfold to the addition of a bolster in PvE instances.
At fist I was certain that this is just trolling, but somehow I fear you might actually think any of your suggestions might actually be anything but a terrible gamebreaking idea.

The argument about bolster not working that well for PvP alone should be enough of an answer and end this discussion.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rtwozero View Post
Just remember that combat logs only state mathamatical facts. They are not rude or arrogant.

Atyaman's Avatar


Atyaman
07.08.2013 , 07:49 AM | #37
Iím sure a lots of people have already said this, but here are my two cents as a casual PVP and PVE player:

When you say that this is a two way street then youíre looking at this in the wrong way. You want to compare PVP and PVE just on one simple fact that they are both gear progression driven. Well, there are at least one other thing you should consider. PVE is really an even leveled playfield. If you go SM, you get SM level mobs, if you go HM, you get HM level mobs and so on. If you know your gear and skill level, then you can go on and progress without banging your head on a wall.

The same cannot be said of Warzones. There are no categories for no pvp gear, semi-pvp gear and full pvp gear WZs. So youíll be in games where peeps are on different gear level. Without bolster (or recruitment PVP gear), youíd only get your behind handed to you on a silver plate (based only on gear, not skill of the player), if youíre not wearing PVP armor.

If you compare that to PVE, it's like if youíd go into a SM FP or OPS, but some of the mobs are HM or NiM level. You cannot kill them ofc, and youíll just die several times before the game says: here are your comms for trying, better luck next time.
Just like itís the same, when it comes to the well equipped players. Doing a HM55FP in 69 gear is a faceroll and boring the same way as killing a 0-expertise bloke, when youíre in full Conqueror.

I can only see a few solutions here. (And none of them is break PVE, just because PVP got broken.)
  • One is the recruitment PVP gear, but it seems that wasnít good enough.
  • Second option is no expertise, no gear lvl difference between PVP and PVE. Which apparently didnít turned out to be the solution either.
  • Third is no gear difference in PVP matches what so ever. Which I would hate on so many levels, but it certainly makes an even leveled playfield. Just without the carrot.
  • The forth is the bolster system. Which is in fact an enforced recruitment PVP gear. Problem here was the implementation. What I would do now with this system, is that Iíd still implement recruitment PVP gear for all classes and all of their roles, just like pre-2.0, but only in stats. So when you enter a WZ and you have an item that you donít have expertise on, that gearís stats would be changed to the closest one of your advanced class recruitment gear. PVP gear would be still better, but you wonít be facerolled only based solely on your gear. (Good PVPers would still farm you if you suck, but thatís the nature of the beast).