Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Hawkeye vs Endurance crystals

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
Hawkeye vs Endurance crystals

MorgothPl's Avatar


MorgothPl
07.06.2013 , 06:54 AM | #1
So, following advices from psters here, I swapped my guardian armorings for strength ones, and I noticed that I can better hold aggro now.

The question however is, that for a jugg of 36k health and itemised 69 gear, is it worth to further trade another 82 endurance points from crystals in shield/saber and swap them for 82 power double hawkeyes?

Elzen's Avatar


Elzen
07.06.2013 , 07:42 AM | #2
You would be better off swapping high endurance mods/enhancements for the high mitigation ones first. Some people would argue that you should swap those over to power as well, however I don't do so myself as I like to stay above 35k.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grumpftard View Post
The secret to tanking is to play like a crappy DPS. Play it like that DPS in the GF that always makes you say "*** is this guy doing?"

KurtDunn's Avatar


KurtDunn
07.06.2013 , 11:02 AM | #3
I'm in progression raiding with my guardian, and attaining or holding threat is of no issue.

I will echo the sentiments that you should go for low endurance mods and enhancements, but not armorings. A happy by-product of getting the most possible mitigation stats is that you also get more str out of your mods, giving you more threat. But you shouldn't be dependent on stacking power or strength for the sole purpose of threat generation.

Look at your rotation. For single target, are you using Hilt Strike early and often? Are you opening with guardian slash and following up with your highest damage output abilities?

For multiple target, are you opening with a Force Sweep-Guardian Slash combo, followed by a healthy amount of cyclone slashes?

And if all else fails, due to strange aggro mechanics or overzealous DPS, you can stack taunts at the start of fights in order to cement it with threat generation later.

MorgothPl's Avatar


MorgothPl
07.06.2013 , 01:03 PM | #4
It's not that I've trouble with holding aggro and mobs run away from me. The only one I've trouble with is the pack of 4 at Mando Raiders, as even in corners that damn sentinel/mara keep jumping at random folks, where my taunts are on CD :P

I was just curious if it's worth swapping to make the tanking more efficient, as I crossed the 36k and as I can't remember exact numbers, but in percents I'm on 15% def, 39% shield, 36% absorption, and was considering getting rid of just very little HP for some more damage, and wanted to have it discussed by people who are better at theorycrafting than me. It's always better to ask then make a muppet of yourself

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
07.06.2013 , 04:42 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MorgothPl View Post
wanted to have it discussed by people who are better at theorycrafting than me. It's always better to ask then make a muppet of yourself
It's largely a non-issue since it's such a comparatively small amount. The only way that the 82 Endurance is every going to matter is if you're dropped down to less than 1k hp, which shouldn't be all that common as a Guardian. The additional Power is also going to do next to nothing (82 Power equals 19 Bonus Damage, which is going to equal to *maybe* 30-40 DPS). Even mitigation isn't going to contribute a massive amount since Blade Barrier has a terrible conversion rate. You'll manage *maybe* 5 less DTPS.

If you're honestly asking which is going to be more useful, in general, unless you drop down low very often, the Power is going to be *better*, not so much because of the additional mitigation but because of the additional damage. Really, it's just a matter of preference since it's such a comparatively minor contribution either way.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

MorgothPl's Avatar


MorgothPl
07.07.2013 , 04:28 AM | #6
Thank you very much for the explanations. I guess if the difference is unnoticeable, I'll stay with the +endurance crystals. They will offset some of the HPs I lost when I converted the armorings from guardian to might.

Ancaglon's Avatar


Ancaglon
07.10.2013 , 04:13 AM | #7
If you get Cartel Market ones, thanks to the Collections system you can now swap them as you need -- just claim fresh ones from the Collections and overwrite the old ones, no cash cost. I have one Power and one Endurance unlocked now. (I also discovered this weekend that even "green" weapons on my alts and companions can take a crystal, which is just awesome )

Sinkaro's Avatar


Sinkaro
07.10.2013 , 04:59 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by MorgothPl View Post
The only one I've trouble with is the pack of 4 at Mando Raiders, as even in corners that damn sentinel/mara keep jumping at random folks, where my taunts are on CD :P
The sent/mara on mando raiders is immune to taunts. His entire purpose in life is to rage about and mess stuff up. That's why he's typically the first one you down in a lot of cases.
Sar'Kai Lvl 50 Annihilation Marauder
I did it before it was cool

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
07.10.2013 , 06:39 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Sinkaro View Post
The sent/mara on mando raiders is immune to taunts. His entire purpose in life is to rage about and mess stuff up. That's why he's typically the first one you down in a lot of cases.
Actually, he's not immune to taunts. He simply swaps all of this threat to the random person he leaps to. You can always taunt him back as soon as he leaps to someone, and, honestly, he's not even all that big of a deal if you get the entire group to stack up in melee since, even when he leaps, he stays right next to everyone. My personal kill order actually takes him out second (moreso because of the KB than the leap).
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.