Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

lvl 55 hardmode stupidity

mcfardo
07.05.2013 , 11:44 PM | #1
The suggested gear rating for lvl 55 HM's is 148, and the best you can do by running lvl 50 HM's is lvl 146 gear. The lvl 55 HM's drop 148 gear mostly and some 162 gear. How in the heck can you get 148 gear unless you run ops and/or grind for basic comms which are good for 156 gear? This is a flaw. Ideally lvl 50 hm's should drop 148 gear and the lvl 55 HM's should drop 55 gear exclusively and set it up so the basic comms can be used for lvl 162, and vice versa. The point being that lvl 50 hm's should help you get geared for lvl 55 hm's and lvl 55 hm's should help you get geared for lvl 55 ops. This current system is pretty gd dumb.

Hxxr
07.06.2013 , 12:03 AM | #2
85 Basic Coms for a main hand weapon on any char are easy to obtain by less then a day of daily missions and Makeb story.

Other than that:
Gear can be crafted.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rtwozero View Post
Just remember that combat logs only state mathamatical facts. They are not rude or arrogant.

Enjjeha
07.06.2013 , 12:19 AM | #3
You stated it right in your opening sentence, it is a suggestion, it's there to let you know a round about level of gear that you should have by that time either from basic comms, EV, KP & EC HM or SM. In the end it comes down to how well the group works together and how each individual understands their toon. I have been in HM FP's with people in 168 gear across the board who fail horribly because they do not understand the mechanics of the fights. On the other hand I have been in groups with severely under geared players, but with the know how of the fights and a general understanding of their toon we ran through the place w/o a single wipe.
The Force. It surrounds us; it enfolds us; it gets us dates on Saturday nights.
- Obi Wan Kenobi, Famous Jedi Knight and Party Animal.

FlyinSpaghetti
07.06.2013 , 01:10 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by mcfardo View Post
The suggested gear rating for lvl 55 HM's is 148, and the best you can do by running lvl 50 HM's is lvl 146 gear. The lvl 55 HM's drop 148 gear mostly and some 162 gear. How in the heck can you get 148 gear unless you run ops and/or grind for basic comms which are good for 156 gear? This is a flaw. Ideally lvl 50 hm's should drop 148 gear and the lvl 55 HM's should drop 55 gear exclusively and set it up so the basic comms can be used for lvl 162, and vice versa. The point being that lvl 50 hm's should help you get geared for lvl 55 hm's and lvl 55 hm's should help you get geared for lvl 55 ops. This current system is pretty gd dumb.
1/ If you done full makeb including dailies you should of acquired enough comms for at least 2-3 pieces, section x also rewards basic comms and is very quick to complete.

2/ While the level 50 flashpoints/OP's don't drop 55 gear inside, they do reward basic comms for completion of the group finder daily.

3/ Also EV/KP HM drop hazmat which is 150 rated and EC HM/NiM Dread Guard which is the same rating but with set bonus. There are loads of groups doing the classic ops weekly especially EV/KP HM which are the easiest and only require 136 rated gear, and you only really need one tank for EV so grouping is faster.

4/ You're also forgetting crafters and the GTN, the mods for 66 both blues and purples are real cheap at least on my server. You only need to spend a few hundred K to get a full set of purples or as little as a couple of K for a blue 148 mod, or if you prefer crafting the schematics are available from the crafting trainers.

There's really no excuse, however bioware are adding new role-less story mode flashpoints in 2.3 which drop 66 blue gear and are very easy. For now though I'd recommend grinding a few dailies for basic comms, playing a bit of EV/KP HM for some hazmat and checking out the GTN for mods.
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Thats no moon... thats a CARTEL COIN!

TheNegotiator
07.06.2013 , 04:49 PM | #5
What spaghetti said. If you burned up to level 55 with wreckless abandon and no Makeb then you made you own bed. When you finish Makeb heroics, you will have 66 boots, belt and gloves and weapon, plus enough basic/elite coms to get another 2 pieces of good gear. 55 HM's will be no problem.

Falver
07.06.2013 , 05:37 PM | #6
55 HMs are easily doable in full Black Hole. We did this when the xpac came out. =/

kirorx
07.07.2013 , 02:58 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Falver View Post
55 HMs are easily doable in full Black Hole. We did this when the xpac came out. =/
Agreed 100%

PUGS seem to forget that lately
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU

FlyinSpaghetti
07.07.2013 , 04:16 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by kirorx View Post
Agreed 100%

PUGS seem to forget that lately
I'd rather not roll with someone who doesn't put much effort to get at least one piece of 66 gear before hand. It's a bit like expecting to piggyback on others success.

While BH is not too bad in flashpoints (just a bit squishy), in op's it's a different matter because others are having to make up for loss of DPS or healing purely because someone is too lazy to go through most of the gear progression beforehand.
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Thats no moon... thats a CARTEL COIN!

Ocho-Quatro
07.08.2013 , 02:50 PM | #9
If it really bothers you... Grab a fistful of credits and hit the GTN.

You could quite easily, and very cheaply, outfit yourself in just about full blue 66s for a few hundred thousand credits.

The bigger thing here is..... Players who don't understand their gear.

When 2.0 hit, my healer was in full Dread Guard/Hazmat. I leveled to 55 on Makeb and in 50-54 Operations. When I hit 55, my gear didn't look TOO much different than it did at 50. Why? Well, the stat distribution on 66s (purple or blue) is pretty terrible and in MOST cases, Hazmat/Dread Guard is actually BETTER, even tho it might provide a little itty bit less Main Stat/Endurance.

My advice? If you want to be geared for Level 55 HM Flashpoints, you need to do a couple runs of Eternity Vault, Karraga's Palace and Explosive Conflict between 50 and 55. That will put you pretty much in full 61/63s... And if you can't make it through the HM 55 FPs in 61/63s... You don't really have any business going in there with 66s either.

(I actually make sure that I am also capped on warzone coms by the time I hit 55, so I can grab Partisan 2x Relics, 2x Implants and Ear at fresh 55...)
TOROCast - Star Wars: The Old Republic's Longest Running Fan Podcast
Apos'trophe Sage - Apostrophé Scoundrel - Period Vanguard - Parentheses Shadow - Quotation Sentinel
Aster'isk Mercenary - Back'slash Assassin - Per'iod Operative
The Punctuation Legacy