Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

AlrikFassbauer
07.05.2013 , 05:42 AM | #461
Quote: Originally Posted by JEEJohnson View Post
I've seem to keep getting people who try to kick me from FP's becasue I play my Op as Dps becasue, and I quote "Ops should ony be heals, you dont know how to play your class and will bring the group down" It's like the other two skill trees are there just to look pretty
Impressive. Now this is what I call "closed-mindedness" ...
"Just say no." If you feel like you are only there for generating Comms for someone else, then just stay away from PvP. Don't let yourself get farmed !

AlrikFassbauer
07.05.2013 , 06:00 AM | #462
Quote: Originally Posted by Satanio View Post
Once they added the selfheal on turrets there was no need for healer to get off anymore, but ppl keep doing it for some strange reason.
That's the way how Tradition evolves ...

Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
The irony is that I think we all had more fun during this crazy run that we would have in a perfectly executed smooth run. I definitely wouldn't like to experience this every day though.
I've had a similar experience - outside of the Group Finder, just using the General Chat for finding a group.

The thing is, not using the Group Finder let's one find groups where Experimenting with Tactics is even more important - on one Taral V run we didn't even have a proper Tank, I think (sadly we couldn't finish it), and - in my opinion - having to experiment lets people learn much, much, much faster that sticking to the book ...

I even suspect that the very first "content clearing" groups have built up their reputations this way : In "uncleared" content they are actually [8i]forced[/i] to change their tactics any time if their well-known tactics don't work ... They might be much, much more "agile" in terms of tactics and in terms of experimenting than groups that do everything by the book - and why ? Because in uncleared content, no-one knows the proper tactics yet !

I've had much more fun with "uneven" groups than with "Trinity Groups".
"Just say no." If you feel like you are only there for generating Comms for someone else, then just stay away from PvP. Don't let yourself get farmed !

Uruare
07.05.2013 , 06:07 AM | #463
Back in the day, when I was first learning to tank on a shadow, I made a lot of nonproficient mistakes of the sort one would expect from a tank that didn't yet know where tanks are supposed to position on certain fights, and I got myself into an embarrassing spot one evening attempting to main tank for a KP hardmode run.

It wasn't going too terribly until we got to the droid. I'd only ever been a DPS in KP to that point, and when I asked the group (as I'd done on the bossfights preceeding) where I should be and what I should do there, someone clearly got sick and tired of me asking and said something to the effect of 'Stop asking stupid questions and tank'.

And then the ops leader tried sorting people out to run the controls on the puzzle. Now, for those of you who've never run KP and don't know about the puzzle on the heavy fabricator boss, its a Tower of Hanoi style puzzle, where (Ideally three) people have to be at the three stations up on a platform, and each has to click their station to move a block marked I, II or III into the appropriate location over the boss to activate the plasma jet that will burn the bosses armor buffs off, and then DPS can hurt the boss a bunch. This is done repeatedly every time the boss' armor buffs replenish.

Meanwhile, the tank has to keep the boss under the plasma jet and position very carefully so as not to get caught in the plasma jet with the boss, or the tank will be dead near immediately.

Typically, this is a two tank fight, as the boss will apply debuffs to whomever its hitting, and the tanks are supposed to swap agro when one tank's got about four or five stacks of this debuff, and I knew all of that, though I'd never done that fight as a tank. So naturally I was borking that up like a fumbling noob too.

So, the ops leader gets people sorted out to run the controls, which took forever, as the guy who'd been snarky at me said he knew how to do the puzzle and very plainly didn't. Having DPS'd the fight plenty often before, I knew the puzzle and kept being a snarky toad back at him, telling him to just DPS it and stop asking stupid questions.

Yeah, we can all be a little immature and unhelpful at times, me included.

So, we get this down and we kick the fight off. First thing I do when the plasma jet goes off is stand in it. Boom, dead.

After getting a brez, I wound up getting stunlocked by the pacification droid adds and died again, and after we wiped it and regrouped, the DPS I'd been trading snark with said 'Try not standing in the fire this time, I hear it helps.'

So we get back at it, and what's he do? Screws up on the puzzle, which got someone who was supposed to be elsewhere charging up there to do it right, which sent the whole thing sideways. Wipe the second and during that regroup, I shot some snark back in the form of 'You should stack more cunning so you can outwit this puzzle.'

So, third attempt, we got it. Flash forward to Karagga's fight. The other tank wanted me to try MTing it as he knew the fight better but I had way better gear, so between him giving me pointers and having seen it done from the DPS perspective plenty of times, I was feeling confident.

I should not have felt quite so confident, as the mouse droids ate me. Wipe, regroup.

The DPS I'd been trading snark with throughout the run said something to the effect of 'Are you trying to suck or does it just come naturally?' and someone else interjected with I don't remember what, but they wanted to just get the run done and over, so back at it we go.

I don't know who did what, but that DPS and another of the deeps wound up dead for obliviously running into a fire trail to get away from something, and the other tank made a comment that I should turn Karagga around when we had his fire trail ringing the area and try to overlap it; anything to keep the fire from anywhere even vaguely near the mid or the back toward the entrance.

The DPS of archenmital disposition chimed in with a comment to the effect of 'Maybe you should stack some cunning yourself, you clearly need more'.

So we finish the fight after its all said and done, we take our loot and our repair bills and we all go our separate ways.

A few minutes after the ops group breaks up, that DPS sends me a tell to the tune of 'You've passed my a**hole test. You're a sucky tank and I'm a mediocre DPS. Want to do some FP's?"

Flash forward almost a year. Tark and I are still running FP's together, still being belligerent, foul-mouthed and awful to one another, and while we've both gotten remarkably better at doing what we do, we still take potshots at eachother whenever possible.

Most FP groups think we must surely hate eachother and sometimes get very nervous when we're ripping on eachother in the middle of some fight we could do in our sleep, all without missing a beat.

Somewhat recently, some healer tried to get us to 'talk it out, because this kind of hostility isn't good for the community'.

We both told yon healer to stack more Endurance and tough it out.
I'm the casual gamer with more money than time to burn. Loath me for it if you like.

Forum Moderators, I dedicate this to you. You poor, underappreciated sods.

AlrikFassbauer
07.05.2013 , 06:31 AM | #464
Quote: Originally Posted by Stuffedduck View Post
These are days I am considering to just run as dps and go on /follow.
What does "/follow" mean ?

Quote: Originally Posted by RenegadeRukus View Post
lol, I would love to see someone tell me my lowbie tank gear was crap... I had 11k hp at 35 that's more than some 50s can muster up
I won't call level 35 a "Lowbie".

It's a "mid-level" in my opinion.

Quote: Originally Posted by Atramar View Post
3rd pull, 2 elite droids, I mark one for cc, marauder leaped to him (before tank) so I cc'd and marked other one, at this point marauder used smash and woke him up.
CC AND marking is not avery good idea, imho.

Because most people I know of interpret a marking as = "please attack !"

Marking something with the meaning of "please DO NOT attack" is something entirely unknown to me.

It's like drawing circles on a target in a bow contest (Disney's "Robin Hood", for example) with the meaning of "please do not attack !"

Atramar
07.05.2013 , 06:57 AM | #465
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post

Marking something with the meaning of "please DO NOT attack" is something entirely unknown to me.

It's like drawing circles on a target in a bow contest (Disney's "Robin Hood", for example) with the meaning of "please do not attack !"
I always say 'I cc blaster' - if some people understand it as 'you must attack blaster' (which is absolutly out of killing order) then I blame education system.
you never heard of marking CC targets? It's not like I'm using yellow 'target' to mark cc.

RenegadeRukus: ah, should say it was for PVP, then I get it, ofcourse. for threat with uber low mainstat, I guess compared to low level dps, it should be enouth in 95% cases.
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013

Never_Hesitate
07.05.2013 , 08:00 AM | #466
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
What does "/follow" mean ?

I won't call level 35 a "Lowbie".

It's a "mid-level" in my opinion.

CC AND marking is not avery good idea, imho.

/follow is a chat command to follow your current target

anything <50 is a lowbie

There are multiple different marks.
Clearly most people you know have a different consensus than most of the community.
The fact that this use is unknown to you, doesn't mean it is not used that way
There is a bolt for example which I always use when there is only one mob to cc and a crosshair I use for the primary target.
But I always state "mark bolt" (or whatever symbol I used) now if the dps leaps in before I have the chance to write anything, it's his fault not mine.
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, Caphalør Sorc, Kindarya Assa, Leonië PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian

ToMyMa
07.05.2013 , 08:39 AM | #467
Quote: Originally Posted by Uruare View Post
A few weeks ago, I was tanking 55 Hardmode Hammerstation on my shadow tank and there were two people from the same guild that popped in with us. One was a DPS, the other was our sage healer. The healer was obviously level 55 and had decent entry-level 55 HM gear, though after wiping on the first couple of trash pulls, it became painfully obvious that the healer's player didn't know how to play their class, let alone how to heal. All they did was spam saber strike, and at one point run away entirely at (what looked to me) random.

I try to be patient and helpful as a tank. I don't flip tables when I encounter people that don't know the fights or even how to play their class or gear it properly; I try to help them learn, if they're willing to take a time out and listen and the rest of the group's ok with pausing for that. I like to improve the general quality of folks using GF is why.

So I asked the group if we could pause so I could help the healer figure some things out, and the DPS in the same guild as said healer got in my digital face, declaring that she was a good healer and I had no right to single her out like that.

After attempting a tactful explanation in tells of how said healer was not, in fact, a good healer as we were wiping and they weren't even attempting to heal, that DPS said she'd talk to yon healer. I assume she did, as the healer was making a vague effort to heal after that...but only that one DPS in her guild.

The other DPS guy, a commando that was very well geared and knew what he was doing, started asking me in tells if I wanted him to field respect into heals, so he went ahead and did that.

Needless to say, we did not get the bonus boss on that run, as the healer could not comprehend the need for standing at range or that we needed the commando to be DPSing to beat the enrage timer, and in the last boss fight, said healer kept suiciding by leaping over the edge of the platform whenever the adds were anywhere near her.

Not targeting her, just near her.

The commando and I, throughout the entire run, kept speculating back and forth in tells as to the morbid curiosity we both had as to how far we'd get. We both had time and we didn't need any gear, as we were both just out to tack another 55HM up for the weekly, though when we cleared it all, he MT'd a comment to me on how the healer must be 12 and playing on mommy's account or something that went into party.

The DPS lady flipped a table and told the commando in ragefinger-speak that she was the mother of the healer's player and we were both going to be reported for harassing, embarrassing and insulting her and her son.

The commando was all 'lol lady go ahead nobody was insulting anybody. Your kid needs to ltp. This run was a crock. Next time let the tank teach your nooblet how to win and not hold everyone back'

The explosion that ensued was epic, and largely consisted of the very sort of harassing, insulting and degrading ranting she'd accused the commando of. The healer, in the meantime, kept suicide jumping off the platform and running back while this all took place.

And then I left. The hilarity made me a friend out of a very competent commando, so I chalk it up as a relative win.
Tl;dr: Commandoes are awesome
Tanvir
Tanvír
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

I-Win-Button
07.05.2013 , 03:14 PM | #468
I've beer reading this for a while and thought that it's finally time for me to add my own story.

Went into group finder for a level 55 HM on my healer sage with my friend, who played a DPS.We got Hammer Station. This must've been around a month after Makeb was released. By this point you could expect most people in the group finder to know the tactics but me and my friend still asked at the start of the flashpoint whether everyone had done this before. We get a yes from the commando DPS but the guardian tank said nothing before pulling the first mobs. Needless to say, we took that as a yes.

Now, after having trouble healing the tank through the first few mob packs, I inspected his gear. Full basic gear with some Makeb greens and blues from leveling, not the best gear but managable, at least he'd bought some basic gear. I asked again whether he'd done the HM before and got the reply "Yeah, lots of times."

Then we get to the first boss. The tank died less than a minute into the fight, having used no defensive cooldowns and refused to get out of the red circles under the exploding droids. Now the droid turned to attack the tank and, surprise, he was easier to heal than the tank. We (eventually) managed to kill the boss and then had what was most likely the most amusing thing I've ever seen.

I asked the tank why the commando did a better job at tanking than him. No response. I then asked whether this was his first time in this HM and the response was "I'm in 66 gear, that's more than enough for this" before jumping into another pack of mobs without waiting for me (who was still typing) to catch up. As you'd imagine, he died and once again the commando tanked the pack until I arrived and started healing.

By this point, we were fed up of the tank and vote kicked him. While waiting for another tank we cleared some more mob packs with me complimenting the commando's tanking all the way. After getting a replacement we cleared the HM with no issue.

... After writing this I really feel like leveling a commando.

P.S. No I'm not getting commando and vanguard confused, in case anyone was thinking that.

Edit: I've just realised that this story proves the poster above correct.
- An English fellow.

ToMyMa
07.05.2013 , 03:25 PM | #469
Quote: Originally Posted by I-Win-Button View Post
I've beer reading this for a while and thought that it's finally time for me to add my own story.

Went into group finder for a level 55 HM on my healer sage with my friend, who played a DPS.We got Hammer Station. This must've been around a month after Makeb was released. By this point you could expect most people in the group finder to know the tactics but me and my friend still asked at the start of the flashpoint whether everyone had done this before. We get a yes from the commando DPS but the guardian tank said nothing before pulling the first mobs. Needless to say, we took that as a yes.

Now, after having trouble healing the tank through the first few mob packs, I inspected his gear. Full basic gear with some Makeb greens and blues from leveling, not the best gear but managable, at least he'd bought some basic gear. I asked again whether he'd done the HM before and got the reply "Yeah, lots of times."

Then we get to the first boss. The tank died less than a minute into the fight, having used no defensive cooldowns and refused to get out of the red circles under the exploding droids. Now the droid turned to attack the tank and, surprise, he was easier to heal than the tank. We (eventually) managed to kill the boss and then had what was most likely the most amusing thing I've ever seen.

I asked the tank why the commando did a better job at tanking than him. No response. I then asked whether this was his first time in this HM and the response was "I'm in 66 gear, that's more than enough for this" before jumping into another pack of mobs without waiting for me (who was still typing) to catch up. As you'd imagine, he died and once again the commando tanked the pack until I arrived and started healing.

By this point, we were fed up of the tank and vote kicked him. While waiting for another tank we cleared some more mob packs with me complimenting the commando's tanking all the way. After getting a replacement we cleared the HM with no issue.

... After writing this I really feel like leveling a commando.

P.S. No I'm not getting commando and vanguard confused, in case anyone was thinking that.

Edit: I've just realised that this story proves the poster above correct.
Awwww yeah!

Commandoes might not be the best at PvP, too bad, but we'll give all of the other classes a run for their money when it comes to PvE!
Tanvir
Tanvír
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Jeweledleah
07.05.2013 , 03:26 PM | #470
comandoes are not best at pvp? well... maybe, but my merc was the first character I've ever gotten "unbeatable" in a warzone with. so... I don't know... seemed fine to me :P