Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is love considered taboo for the Jedi?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why is love considered taboo for the Jedi?

yoomazir
07.03.2013 , 01:28 AM | #71
"Why is love considered taboo for the Jedi? "

Because the Jedi are the sci-fi version of Templars/Warrior Monks.

SitHamster
07.03.2013 , 02:05 AM | #72
The drawback of it is that Jedis have to wait for the Force to give them new Padawans instead of allowing their members to breed and transmit their Force abilities to their kids.
That's why the Order is in danger every time a big war occurs: they can't replace the fallen members easily

Callaron
07.03.2013 , 02:59 AM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by SitHamster View Post
The drawback of it is that Jedis have to wait for the Force to give them new Padawans instead of allowing their members to breed and transmit their Force abilities to their kids.
That's why the Order is in danger every time a big war occurs: they can't replace the fallen members easily
They can actually "breed".
They just can't get attached.
When the Sith Warrior
Spoiler

As for the reason, it's less about being Templars/Monks and more about turning into raving lunatic monsters if the unthinkable happens and things go bad, like their beloved getting killed by the Sith, or even worse, some strategic decision of Republic command not to extract an outnumbered Jedi in some combat zone.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Suggestion for letting us add certain story characters to our Strongholds.

AlexDougherty
07.03.2013 , 04:33 AM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by RocketeerRaccoon View Post
Having recently tried the Jedi Consular and I've just come across that mission where you got the two lovers and the Jedi Masters want to know from you if they are romancing with each other and it got me thinking. Why is love considered a bad thing to the Jedi? To be honest I would say the Jedi code is kinda screwed up and is probably the ultimate downfall of the Old Jedi order when Anakin Skywalker fell in love.

Come to think, I'm not sure what's worse now, a cruel dictatorship empire where people die but allows love all around or a peaceful protector order of which not everyone is allowed to love?
Love is permitted, attachment is not, as long as love doesn't turn into a driving force, and you can spend month or even years apart, and you don't seak revenge after the other dies, then love is permitted.

However, with that couple, the girl is completely subsumed by love, and is on a fast path to the darkside, the guy is more balanced, and actually stops the girl attacking you. If the girl was as balanced as the guy then I wouldn't have turned them in, but she is completely unhinged, and needs to be saved.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

SidehVelsan
07.03.2013 , 06:20 AM | #75
If I recall correctly both the Sith and the Jedi practice breeding for force sensitivity. The difference is that the Sith are also free to fall in love and more importantly, grow attached.

My interpretation of the lore is that the Jedi are encouraged to love and have compassion for all things. However, when you grow attached to something you develop strong emotions regarding it. Not only do you develop passion, you also get angry when that thing is harmed. Both of which are steps towards the dark side.

There are some exceptions for the jedi. If I am remembering right one of the members of the Jedi Council during the clone wars is actually married with multiple wives, because of the huge disproportion in the male to female ratio in his species.
Sideh, Human, Maurader--- Aldrion, Human, Guardian
Eskiel, Cyborg, Powertech---Davaron, Zabrak, Commando
Soloniex, Pureblood, Assassin---Runassa, Miraluka, Sage
Denac, Chiss, Sniper---Eganen, Cathar, Gunslinger

Bytemite
07.04.2013 , 11:05 AM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by SidehVelsan View Post
There are some exceptions for the jedi. If I am remembering right one of the members of the Jedi Council during the clone wars is actually married with multiple wives, because of the huge disproportion in the male to female ratio in his species.
Yep. Master Ki-Adi-Mundi. Also interesting in that when he was first seated on the Council, he wasn't a Master yet. Also interesting in that his entire family was killed at one point in the Clone Wars, but he committed himself more strongly to the Jedi Order. Basically a mirror contrast to Anakin.

Ayradyss
07.04.2013 , 12:49 PM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Well bigger reason why, is because they don't teach jedi on how to deal with emotions. How to separate the good from the bad. So the easy solution is to not to do it. The problem with love is that while it can redeem and bring you back, it can lead you TO the darkside. When love is corrupted and turned into lust, rage and all things dark, it can take you to dangerous places.

But that same love can redeem, promote sacrifice, the goodness in people.

My 2 credits, the jedi seriously should of taught HOW to deal with emotions instead of just don't feel it.
This is very much in tune with my own feelings on the subject. IMO, there are a lot of books/works with the 'Star Wars' logo on them that are of less than stellar quality. I certainly count Lucas's prequels among those, though I've always loved the original trilogy. There are cases of the Jedi swinging back and forth -- love/romance is allowed, is NOT allowed.

But if it comes to what the Jedi -should- teach and allow, then my opinion is that the flat-out 'prohibition' of romantic involvement that some ascribe to the Jedi is very wrong. As you said, the Jedi need to learn how to deal with their emotions, how to cope with pain and not be overcome by it. The way we actually learn this sort of thing is by experiencing it. It's pain and working through it that allows us to grow stronger and develop the strength of character to deal with it, without going off the deep end.

What the Jedi need to do is to let their padawans experience these things -- but to be there to guide and support, to lend strength when the padawan might otherwise falter if left isolated on his/her own. The doctrine of forbiddance, as shown in the prequels, merely isolated Anakin, as he felt he could not reveal his feelings to his elders, and led him to face his emotions alone, and completely unprepared.

TalonVII
07.04.2013 , 03:26 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Ayradyss View Post
/snip
The doctrine of forbiddance, as shown in the prequels, merely isolated Anakin, as he felt he could not reveal his feelings to his elders, and led him to face his emotions alone, and completely unprepared.
Hence one of the major factors why he fell. And in the books why Luke Skywalker removed that prohibition. Though he for all the good he did and all the jedi he helped train, still have not done a good job of dealing with the fall out from emotions.

Honestly and I am sure Auebere will disagree the Jedi code needs a face lift and needs to include "to master the force, one must master himself".
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

SithKoriandr
07.04.2013 , 03:46 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Hence one of the major factors why he fell. And in the books why Luke Skywalker removed that prohibition. Though he for all the good he did and all the jedi he helped train, still have not done a good job of dealing with the fall out from emotions.

Honestly and I am sure Auebere will disagree the Jedi code needs a face lift and needs to include "to master the force, one must master himself".
It goes back to being all about the power. When they're thinking rationally, they know, don't use your force abilities to do this or that. Once they get overwhelmed and anger/irrationality kicks in, they lose all sense of common sense and start going "I have the power to do anything I please, to whoever I please, and all who stand in my way will suffer."

Of course, some more than others. Giving into revenge may keep the dark side focused on one person, but it becomes a downward spiral...I was willing to do this, what's a few more?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

AlexDougherty
07.05.2013 , 02:15 AM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by Bytemite View Post
Yep. Master Ki-Adi-Mundi. Also interesting in that when he was first seated on the Council, he wasn't a Master yet. Also interesting in that his entire family was killed at one point in the Clone Wars, but he committed himself more strongly to the Jedi Order. Basically a mirror contrast to Anakin.
He wasn't a master when he sat on the council, hmm, then why does Anakin say that membersof the council are always masters, and that it's been that way for at least a couple of hundred years (can't rember exact words) in ROTS?. Did the scriptwriter/Lucas forget? God bless continuity errors, because sometimes it feels that Star Wars is nothing but continuity errors.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.