Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Favorite Villain?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Skodan
07.01.2013 , 01:41 PM | #11
Darth Malak.

I loved KOTOR, and he made me illicit some major emotions.

Him sending Darth Banadon to get you in the beginning, which leads to Darth B killing Trask (that bastard), then the way he tells you of your past, and then how he stole MY Bastilla away from me.

Malak felt very Vader-esque, lots of mirrors between M and V, which i love and was probably very intentional such as the mask, voice, destroying a planet (although taris and dantooine werent obliterated like alderaan), using a space station that was uber strong.

***dangit courtney, now i want to go play kotor again (need to find my steam account info now), but that will mean less swtor time
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

CourtneyWoods
07.01.2013 , 01:41 PM | #12 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by MokaSith View Post
I would say that being able to empathize with a villain makes them a bit more real and enjoyable to me. Bond villains would be an obvious example of this, as they are often men that just want to improve the world, albeit in a twisted way. So, for me, a villain with believable and, in a way, reasonable motives are the best kind. That being said:

Literature: Tie between Randall Flagg from The Stand and Napoleon from Animal Farm
Film: Vader is an obvious choice, though I also liked old-school General Zod or Ciguhr from No Country for Old Men

Hey MokaSith,

I definitely agree. To me the best villains are fully realized characters who stir mixed emotions in you. You want to defeat them, but when the moment finally arises, you feel some kind of sadness. This sadness can come from a variety of different reasons - perhaps because they are wasted potential or because you have thoroughly enjoyed the conflict that that character presented or they have just gained your sympathy over the course of the story. They should make you ask questions about yourself or about the protagonist of the story.
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

KingWilbourn
07.01.2013 , 01:52 PM | #13
Eric.

Branch
07.01.2013 , 01:53 PM | #14
Recent Movie: Zod... it was just so well done
SWTOR: Darth Baras.
TV Series: Amon (Legend of Korra)
BOOK: Darth Caedus (Legacy of the Force)
Game: The Illusive Man

There's plenty more I love. But those are what popped up first
Malken Branch - 55 Vanguard
Pax Republica
Prophecy of Five

Tarackian
07.01.2013 , 01:56 PM | #15
Unlike the kids today, I prefer for my villains to be without remorse. I don't care for this business of humanizing villains or making them sympathetic. Leave that to the anti-heroes. Enough of us go through that in our daily lives already. I don't need to see the redeeming qualifies of my villains. They should have none.

A good villain also isn't a dumb villain. Villains should be similar to sociopaths in that they are often brilliant.

AlrikFassbauer
07.01.2013 , 02:20 PM | #16
Hey, Courtney, would it be possible to give some tips on how to effectively write good villains ? I mean in stories. Literature.
I'm a bad player.
I have no good reputation.
I never will.
Only bad reputation.

Branch
07.01.2013 , 02:23 PM | #17
I don't really have a preference to villain motives, I mean, the sociopath type villains are fun (The Joker) but they're better in small numbers. If you had every single villain be just psychotic, things would get dull.
Malken Branch - 55 Vanguard
Pax Republica
Prophecy of Five

raymanio
07.01.2013 , 02:30 PM | #18
Best of the best? Definitely Syler (heroes TV series)
freddy kruger would be my 2nd choice
3rd pick: Stansfield (Gary Oldman) form Leon (aka The Professional)

CourtneyWoods
07.01.2013 , 02:38 PM | #19 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
Hey, Courtney, would it be possible to give some tips on how to effectively write good villains ? I mean in stories. Literature.
Sure!

I would first start with their motivations. Like many people have already said in this thread, some of the best villains are characters who start off with good intentions, but their execution is what makes them "evil." A character's motivation, particularly the villain's, is what often drives the plot forward.

Once you have their motivations, start to sculpt the finer details of the character - mainly their back story and personality quirks. A great exercise is to literally write out what an average daily schedule would look like for that character. None of this needs to be in your final story, but it helps to make that character seem more realistic and three dimensional, which is especially important for a villain, who might not actually see a lot of page time.

I personally think that appearance is secondary, unless it affects the character's motivation. It's much more important to figure out the inner workings of a villain before focusing on the outward shell.

Hope that helps!
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Guardian_Scott
07.01.2013 , 02:42 PM | #20
Hmmm would have to say... Jack of Blades from Fable 1 is one at the top of my list. I couldn't help but love and hate him at the same time. The voice over was amazing and he's a genuinely charismatic character. He engages you as the player through the years of the life of the character and his family.
─────>ΞϿ}The 13th Legion{ϾΞ<─────
Thunder Guardian Rou'ku Sagey Sauce Kitra'rou
Ebon Hawk Resident