Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Desire to See a New PT/VG tank Cooldown

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Desire to See a New PT/VG tank Cooldown

Powerrmongerr
06.26.2013 , 02:21 PM | #11
What's the cooldown on hydraulic overrides? Make it like a minute or 90 seconds (if it isn't already), and have it raise absorption to 100% or something during that time frame.

You guys need some sort of additional cooldown.

Kitru
06.26.2013 , 02:26 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Powerrmongerr View Post
What's the cooldown on hydraulic overrides?
It's 30 seconds with a 6 second duration. Increasing the CD on it wouldn't really be viable since that would affect DPS VGs and Commando DPS as well. The fact that it's on such a short CD is the primary reason why I'm reluctant to give it any kind of reliable substantial mitigation mechanism, hence the whole 50% resistance idea with a single charge consumed upon a resist. It's unreliable, but made up for by having a really low CD such that it can easily be used against every potential spike.

For a longer CD, we really can only look towards Riot Gas. Of course, the same thing that happened to Battle Readiness could be applied to Battle Focus: turning a DPS CD into a tanking CD with a deep tanking talent. Instead of 4% alacrity (which is pretty much worthless), imagine if it applied 50/100% resist chance for the duration.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

leegrisham
06.26.2013 , 03:04 PM | #13
While I agree that the fact that juggs and sins having the complete F/T avoidance is cool, I have never felt like those cool downs made a big enough difference to give them a huge advantage over my PT.

My PT has always felt crunchy and resilient enough to not need the avoidance to a couple hits from F/T damage that such a cool down might provide. (I'd add that my jugg since 2.0 almost feels almost as good now, but only if I'm using my rotations correctly, the scream/retaliation/crushing blow DR is really astounding)

I think Kitru's idea of changing Explosive fuel + alacrity to a + resist for 3 - 4 seconds, would be the best idea of all, if any change is even needed. (Sorry, I speak Empire)

Kitru
06.26.2013 , 04:26 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by leegrisham View Post
I think Kitru's idea of changing Explosive fuel + alacrity to a + resist for 3 - 4 seconds, would be the best idea of all, if any change is even needed. (Sorry, I speak Empire)
I actually think it would be interesting to have it behave as such for the entire duration, either that or have the Resistance fade as you keep resisting things (5 stacks of a buff, each providing 20% F/T resist; whenever you resist an attack, 1 stack is lost). 3 seconds every 2 minutes isn't particularly much nor is a similar uptime on the longer CD as useful, which is why I think the longer duration would be appropriate.

I do think that Battle Focus would be a more interesting additional CD than either Riot Gas or HtL, now that I've thought of it. It even makes sense thematically, as a tank would focus on dealing more damage as well as avoiding blows whereas a DPS is just going to focus on getting those shots in nasty spots.
My New Class Idea

Powerrmongerr
06.28.2013 , 12:59 PM | #15
What's the cooldown on the self heal, 2 minutes?

How about, high in the tank skill tree, putting a modifying skill as follows:

1.)Cooldown shortened to 90 seconds
2.)Incoming damage reduced by 10%
3.)Defense, Resistance, Shield, and Absorb raised by 5%.

Kitru
06.28.2013 , 01:03 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Powerrmongerr View Post
What's the cooldown on the self heal, 2 minutes?
Adrenaline Rush is... weird. It's got a 3 min CD, but the buff it provides lasts 90 seconds and the actual *effect* is only triggered when you're sub-30%, not to mention that the CD only starts when the actual effect is triggered.

I really wouldn't attach anything new to Adrenaline Rush.
My New Class Idea

Powerrmongerr
06.28.2013 , 01:04 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
Adrenaline Rush is... weird. It's got a 3 min CD, but the buff it provides lasts 90 seconds and the actual *effect* is only triggered when you're sub-30%, not to mention that the CD only starts when the actual effect is triggered.

I really wouldn't attach anything new to Adrenaline Rush.
This reminds me I haven't bothered playing my powertech tank since 2.0. I want to play him more, I really do ...

Assassins have, since day one, had a 60 second timer mechanic-breaking, super utility CD in Force Shroud (the prime reason why every other tanking class was pure second rate until 2.0). Now Juggernauts have their own 60 second CD in Saber Reflect (superior to Force Shroud in some ways, inferior in others). Both last five seconds.

I just feel like powertechs need something similar. Maybe an entirely new ability. No more than a 60 second timer, lasts 5 seconds like the others. Something interesting! What about, 5 seconds of something like 33.33-50% damage reduction, but, the buff vanishes if you move from where you're standing?

leegrisham
06.28.2013 , 02:37 PM | #18
Eh, I have always felt my powertech was superior to my jugg/sin, pre-2.0 regardless of the gimicky cool downs they had, my power tech was just always a smooth steady damage sponge, well rounded enough that I never felt I needed an "O-S" cool down. That persists through 2.0, except now my sin is my least favorite of all.

I guess all in all my opinion (if I might add it) powertechs are fine without such a cool down, but if anything is added it needs to be very slight or else the PT is gonna easily be ahead of other tanks.

As a side note, I have to say I really like the changes to Kolto Overload, that healing sub 30% will save your skin!

Yngow
06.30.2013 , 12:22 PM | #19
I found my 3rd cd on adrenals and relics, you can have such ridiculously high mitigation numbers on pts that those things make you invincible, for example on cartel warlords if you leave sunder as the last he casts "the end" which usually one shots the tank even on sm, last time I did it on sm I used my shrouded crusader relic and energy shield and asked my sorc healer to give me a bubble, the result: Absorbed. Took no damage at all.
I realize it's not invincibility since I could lose that roll on the shielding but its good enough for now. I used to complain a lot about the cds for pts but the kolto overload gave me what I wanted (a real oh crap thing)
Empire/Republic of TAW - Prophecy of the Five
Illyan - Powertech ; Lellian - Jedi Sentinel ; Le'lian - Scoundrel ; L'aayla - Sith Juggernaut ; Harrden - Commando ; Lellyana - Sith Sorcerer ; Viagro - Sniper ; Lelsara - Jedi Shadow

Justcae
06.30.2013 , 03:14 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Yngow View Post
I found my 3rd cd on adrenals and relics, you can have such ridiculously high mitigation numbers on pts that those things make you invincible.
Adrenals/relics are shared by all tank classes. That's not what this thread is pointing to which is an additional mechanic.

Quote: Originally Posted by Yngow View Post
for example on cartel warlords if you leave sunder as the last he casts "the end" which usually one shots the tank even on sm, last time I did it on sm I used my shrouded crusader relic and energy shield and asked my sorc healer to give me a bubble, the result: Absorbed. Took no damage at all.
I realize it's not invincibility since I could lose that roll on the shielding but its good enough for now. I used to complain a lot about the cds for pts but the kolto overload gave me what I wanted (a real oh crap thing)
If you have a bubble on you and it absorbs any damage the combat text will show absorb even if the damage exceeds the amount the bubble would absorb. You can verify this by going back in your log and seeing the damage you actually took.

1) You had the 4 pc set bonus and had a 1/50 chance of resisting and thus took no damage.

2) You were on SM as stated above and it actually shouldn't kill you anyways. Between your bubble and whatever damage was inc vs inc heals you looked like you took little damage.

~~~

PT/VG currently has the least oh **** abilities and it shows in the new NiM modes especially. A F/T would be appreciated but any form of damage mitigation be it personal, or raid would go a long way.