Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dread Guard nerf - Catering to the Casual

paowee
06.26.2013 , 03:02 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Nerdcommando View Post
If this content level was meant only for those who like crazy difficulty levels than there wouldnt have been a gear incease with it. Just a title/mount reward for completing it under x minutes. Once gear gets involved it needs to be accessible for the less hardcore/better progression groups out there so they are not way behind the gear curve.

Also from a business standpoint I am not sure why you would comit the bulk of your content development to an extremely small percentage of players. I am not even sure 5% of those that are raiding (a much smaller group than those that dont) would have been able to down it at that difficulty level.
NiM TFB/SnV gear dropping from easier content when a new tier of gear comes out, the same way HM EC is dropping Black Hole gear right now.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

paowee
06.26.2013 , 03:08 PM | #32
To the guilds who were stuck at NiM DG Council pre-nerf, what do you think of the fight now? Does the place still feel like NiM mode that you can stomach to raid for another couple of months?

Today: June 26, 2013
Game Update: 1.4 Terror From Beyond Release Date: September 26, 2012
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

Aerro
06.27.2013 , 03:58 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Nerdcommando View Post
If this content level was meant only for those who like crazy difficulty levels than there wouldnt have been a gear incease with it. Just a title/mount reward for completing it under x minutes. Once gear gets involved it needs to be accessible for the less hardcore/better progression groups out there so they are not way behind the gear curve.

Also from a business standpoint I am not sure why you would comit the bulk of your content development to an extremely small percentage of players. I am not even sure 5% of those that are raiding (a much smaller group than those that dont) would have been able to down it at that difficulty level.
I linked this in another thread... but WoW content actually provides some bosses that barely anyone ever sees. Less than 1.5% of all raiding guilds have cleared the hardest content in WoW. You can check out WoW Progress and see the percentages for every raid encounter.

Just because there is better gear doesn't mean that YOU should have it. If you don't want to put forth the effort to obtain it, then you shouldn't have access to it. Its fair. When the thread title says "Catering to the casual", handing you gear you don't deserve pretty much defines that.

Ontop of that, they allow you to access the old BiS gear by doing the easiest mode of new content. It still keeps you up to the competitive level, but requires the extra effort to get the new stuff. You can do the new content with the gear the easier content gives you- if you're not willing to then its not right to devalue our gear just because of it. Most MMOs are about being better than the next guy. All of us want to stand out.
Arsenal DPS Guide
One of the leading Mercenaries in a World Progression Guild.

AshlaBoga
06.27.2013 , 06:57 PM | #34
Honestly, I think the issue with the DG was that they were the second boss. I like the idea of the last boss being as hard as pre-30 second added to enrage timer DG, then the penultimate boss being as hard as the current DG.

Of course, not everyone feels that the last boss should be the most challenging, but I think the nerf wouldn't have happened if they'd make the TFB and Kephess the "Destroyer of Operations."

NiM WH was tuned well, NiM +30 sec DG is tuned well for the second boss.

The idea that NiM Op 9, Undying Kephess and TFB are too easy seems more reasonable than DG needing to be un-nerfed.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

Rambeezy
06.27.2013 , 11:23 PM | #35
This thread makes me lol

umm, to the op. The current fight is more like what we wanted, the pre-nerf version was a pure guild destroyer.

The fight, as its currently tuned, is still miles past what the "casual" guild may expect to clear. Yes it no longer requires your dps to all be putting up some of the best numbers in the world, but it still requires amazing dps from all 4 dps.

From what I've seen with a few glances between phases, I'm putting up close to 4500 effective heals per second towards the end of phase 1 and still need to sustain over 3300 for the rest of the fight (it's easily repeated once you know how and when the damage goes out)
The tanks basically have to be flawless or the healers are gonna be going even more crazy.
That being said, the fight is as perfect as it will ever be IMO. If they bump up the damage anymore heals are gonna be tight, right now they're just constant(how they should be). If they take away dps down time the enrage will seem non existent. I cant say what they should or should not do for tanks, I don't even know what they are doing half the time, I just know that they are taking a lot of damage in phases 1 and 2.

My guild only has 8% more of Kelsaras hp to get down, damn I cant wait to join the few.

BTW! This is all from a guy in a guild who hasn't skipped for the loot.

arkitip
06.27.2013 , 11:47 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Rambeezy View Post
This thread makes me lol

umm, to the op. The current fight is more like what we wanted, the pre-nerf version was a pure guild destroyer.

The fight, as its currently tuned, is still miles past what the "casual" guild may expect to clear. Yes it no longer requires your dps to all be putting up some of the best numbers in the world, but it still requires amazing dps from all 4 dps.

From what I've seen with a few glances between phases, I'm putting up close to 4500 effective heals per second towards the end of phase 1 and still need to sustain over 3300 for the rest of the fight (it's easily repeated once you know how and when the damage goes out)
The tanks basically have to be flawless or the healers are gonna be going even more crazy.
That being said, the fight is as perfect as it will ever be IMO. If they bump up the damage anymore heals are gonna be tight, right now they're just constant(how they should be). If they take away dps down time the enrage will seem non existent. I cant say what they should or should not do for tanks, I don't even know what they are doing half the time, I just know that they are taking a lot of damage in phases 1 and 2.

My guild only has 8% more of Kelsaras hp to get down, damn I cant wait to join the few.

BTW! This is all from a guy in a guild who hasn't skipped for the loot.
You kind of aren't joining "the few" though. When listing accomplishments, most guilds will mention that they beat Boss X "pre-nerf".

Rambeezy
06.28.2013 , 12:00 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by arkitip View Post
You kind of aren't joining "the few" though. When listing accomplishments, most guilds will mention that they beat Boss X "pre-nerf".
I don't know who "boss x" is haha

How many merc healers have done this fight?

Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one.

Leafy_Bug
06.28.2013 , 01:52 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Krazy_Karl View Post
30 Seconds was to account for diversity of DPS. Bioware can't fix class balance so they went the direction we recommended.

/thread

Regards,
KK

Good to see a valid post amogst the 'omg nerf, nerf, uai BioWar??'. It is pretty obvious that anyone taking two Shadow DPS cannot beat this boss at all. Maybe with these 30s, the top 0.5% shadows can help get the kill. Quite nice to see snipers doing 1000 more DPS than shadows. I do believe this number is spot on according to the metrics system and within the margin each class should be.

odawgg
06.28.2013 , 02:18 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Rambeezy View Post
I don't know who "boss x" is haha

How many merc healers have done this fight?

Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one.
Boss X I believe was referring to DG pre-nerf, but to answer your question World first clear was with a merc healer. Saw the video he's awesome. The DG fight is setup beautifully for a merc healer cuz it's one of the few fights where the AoE heal is superior to ops and sorcs do to the constant movement. Makes me want to convert to heals!

Rambeezy
06.28.2013 , 03:10 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by odawgg View Post
Boss X I believe was referring to DG pre-nerf, but to answer your question World first clear was with a merc healer. Saw the video he's awesome. The DG fight is setup beautifully for a merc healer cuz it's one of the few fights where the AoE heal is superior to ops and sorcs do to the constant movement. Makes me want to convert to heals!
Yeah, he is the only merc healer I knew who did it on 8 man. Was curious as to if there was any other merc healers who have done it. World second or third or fourth would be a nice thing to know.