Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companions 101: Corso Riggs

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jonoku
06.27.2013 , 10:28 PM | #21
Voting for Xalek.

wallywaffles
06.27.2013 , 10:29 PM | #22
Every time I see Corso I will think of this.
Kirax et al. Begeren Colony
Return of Ascension Strikes BackEmpire's Finest Elites
Server First FashionsJawa Gifter Extraordinaire

Jonoku
06.27.2013 , 10:34 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by wallywaffles View Post
Every time I see Corso I will think of this.
lmao.

chuixupu
06.27.2013 , 11:34 PM | #24
I'm happy to see the companion series continue, it's been a while!
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

SwiftyDragon
06.28.2013 , 12:04 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Raltar View Post
Corso is tied with Kaliyo as worst companion in the game. I hate him so much.
So true! My favorite moment with Corso was getting rid of him.
------------------------------------------"Want Blizz to zap bad guys?"------------------------------------------

Dashya
06.28.2013 , 12:11 AM | #26
No votes for the pirate? Andronikos Revel is my second favorite companion after my baby Torian, so my vote is for Andronikos!
"Maybe Obi-Wan had a vision about what the future would be like, and he wanted to let it kill him and Anakin, thereby averting the future, but Yoda came along and was all 'noooo we have to have that future!"

LamiaKan
06.28.2013 , 01:14 AM | #27
Sorry, I've played warrior, inquisitor, agent, knight and at the moment playing smuggler who's now lvl37.Corso is my MOST HATED companion AND romance to date (incl all bioware games I played). His benevolent sexism and constant white knighting is growing more and more irritating. There's nothing charming about it. Despite how he always says he "respect" women, I feel no respect at all because in his mind, tough and independent as my smuggler and Risha are, they still need men's protection because their gender not who they are. And his jealousy comments are getting creepy since my smuggler told him she changed her mind( I heard that he gets jealous even if you don't flirt with him! eww). I know some players love him, I just don't understand his appeal, and I'm a woman.

GalnarDegana
06.28.2013 , 01:19 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Ailie View Post
Corso charming? Oh please he has the intelligence of lint and it clearly shows. He's annoying and so ridiculously backwards it's rather pathetic. It's 2013 not 1950. I hope the Devs didn't think women would fall head over heals just because he wants to save you. Haven't we been trying to move away from that stereotype?
This is pretty representative of a large portion of the feelings against Corso. Most people either love him or hate him it seems. I personally love him because he is the classic Southern gentleman, and as I from Texas, he reminds me of many of my best friends.

Those who love him recognize that he is chivalrous, loyal, and caring. He has a strong attachment to the Captain and the crew, since they are his family. He is epitomized by the phrase "I hope you don't mind if I come along and take a few hits for you."

Those who hate him see him as a representation of a "backwards" ideal where the woman needs to be rescued because she "can't do it herself." In reality, he isn't "backwards" as much as he is respectful. Just like my Southern upbringing dictates, his code of honor means he puts his life on the line for anyone, but especially women and children, who typically aren't trained in combat. The female smuggler is obviously different, as are many kick-butt women in the universe, but he was born on a small, war-torn planet where even surviving is a challenge, so some need protecting more than others. Plus, as many Southern women in my life that I wouldn't dare cross often say, "a Southern girl is a girl who knows that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect." He probably has grown up with people with similar traditions.

All that to say, chivalry isn't backwards, it is respect towards all, and especially towards loved ones or those held in high esteem, i.e. women.

They also think he is pushy and jealous, forgetting that since he lost his family, he is afraid of getting hurt again in the same way. Basic psychology.

LanaRyra
06.28.2013 , 01:30 AM | #29
My favorite moment with Corso would have to be...On balmorra, one of the times he gets jealous.
Spoiler

Though I find it adorable whenever he gets jealous with my smugg.

Also, to the people who say he's...sexist by wanting to protect the strong, independent woman smuggler
WHO DON'T NEED NO MAN!
*cough*
I see it more as a, "I know you can take care of things yourself, but sometimes its nice to have someone to lean on, or to take care of it for you" kind of thing, and I personally find it sweet.
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
Estimated 16.7million people dealing with serious mental illness in the US alone each year. Estimated 400,000+ people subscribed to this game.
Guess some overlap was bound to happen eventually

PLynkes
06.28.2013 , 02:07 AM | #30
He'd be out the airlock if I had my say. Clearly by the way he acts in his mind my character his girlfriend, and he's a jealous boyfriend. She is most definitely not his girlfriend.

Okay, maybe I was a bit hasty there about the airlock. I don't know about actually killing companions, but I sometimes wish there was a "Get the hell off my ship, you creepy bastard!" command.