Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is the Lore going too much in the Favor of...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Is the Lore going too much in the Favor of...

Warcrarian
06.06.2013 , 10:48 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
Yes, what I actually wanted to say is the story where good guys win is a predictable story, because that's what people expect, that's what hollywood etc. teach them. If that's the case, the story must make up for that elsewhere to be good. The stories where the good guys don't win have IMO advantage in this.

For example, maybe you've seen the latest episode of Game of Thrones. Something like that makes the story so much better because it makes it less predictable. Yes, the GoT story would be great even if some event from the latest episode didn't happen, but it would not be that good.

So that is my whole point. Good guys win = predictability = not as good as it could be.
This.

A good guy winning in the end is what it sells, at the end few are the writers that think in the story and not about selling.
I fight because that is what I was made to do and the Empire is the instrument through which I realize my purpose.The Empire is war made manifest. That is why it is PERFECT.

Master-Nala
06.21.2013 , 09:03 PM | #82
The problem I have with the Empire winning is that the Current Sith Empire is the very quintessence of "stupid evil". The Emperor himself cares nothing for his own people, the noble class (the Sith) have as a part of their philosophy to think only of themselves. No such society could possibly defeat an organized, unified and committed force. The Empire needs a strong leader who can impose some semblance of reasonable behavior. The antics the Sith classes pull during their story should no longer be allowed.

I can see how after the Rule of Two, how the Sith were able to surreptitiously control the galaxy, but these jokers, never.

Kfitzpatrick
06.23.2013 , 11:44 AM | #83
I think what a lot of people overlook is that the empire is losing because as their class stories show, they waste a lot of resources on infighting. However, now that the emperor is "dead" and with increased unity after the defeat of malgus, the empire is going to be an even more potent force than it already was. I think darth marr's speech at the end of the makeb imp story line is good indication of this.

But hey.. that's just my way of looking at it.

Heathenblood
06.27.2013 , 02:06 PM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by Kfitzpatrick View Post
I think what a lot of people overlook is that the empire is losing because as their class stories show, they waste a lot of resources on infighting. However, now that the emperor is "dead" and with increased unity after the defeat of malgus, the empire is going to be an even more potent force than it already was. I think darth marr's speech at the end of the makeb imp story line is good indication of this.

Emperor is not dead. Sith warrior storyline letters prove that. The emperor is just in a slumber.

Spoiler
-Heathenblood

BrianDavion
06.27.2013 , 02:49 PM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by Heathenblood View Post
Emperor is not dead. Sith warrior storyline letters prove that. The emperor is just in a slumber.

Spoiler
well that's what the Hand tells the Wraith. but we dunno if they where telling him the complete truth. a bit of a white lie, or complete rubbish (for the record my theory's on the second. the emperor is IMHO indeed dead. but chances are he's lived as long as he has via body swapping and we can expect to see a "dark empire" style return)
remember the Hand are Sith they presumably have their own game. even if the Emperor died it'd be in their best intrests to say "nah he's sleeping" because right now they basicly have full control over the Emperor's assists. The Imperial Guard, the Wraith, god knows what else. obviously if they said "ohh yeah he's dead" that control'd dissapper

Euphrosyne
06.27.2013 , 03:03 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Kfitzpatrick View Post

That the infighting was happening does not mean that it was essential to the Republic's victory. In fact, there's an excellent argument that it wasn't. During the initial phase of the Battle of Corellia, during which the Empire seized control of the planet and then consolidated its position, the infighting was at a crescendo - Baras against Vowrawn, the SI against Thanaton, the whole string of disasters cooked up by the Star Cabal - but the Empire successfully overcame them and claimed victory on the planet. During the Republic's counteroffensive, it's hard, if not impossible, to see any evidence of dissension in the Empire's ranks; the culmination of the IA, SW, and SI class stories ended that internecine fighting. The Republic faced a powerful, hitherto victorious, and finally more-or-less united enemy on Corellia. And won a crushing victory in excess of some of the greatest battles in human military history - bigger than Tannenberg, or Stalingrad, or Gravelotte, or Liaoshen, or Gettysburg, or Cobra. Ten percent of the Empire's fighting forces were wiped from the face of the galaxy, a truly astonishing number.

Simply put, in the decisive battle of the war, the Empire just got beat like a red-headed stepchild.

It's true that Imperial internecine conflict undoubtedly made the Empire's situation even worse: the civil war against Malgus and the fighting against the Dread Masters made what was already an epic military disaster into what Marr called imminent defeat at the beginning of the Makeb storyline. But it cannot reasonably be said to have been the decisive factor.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"
Fanfic: Beyond Good and Evil

Kyneris
06.27.2013 , 05:40 PM | #87
The way I experienced the game's story (I main a Jedi Consular) was being under the impression that the Empire was heavily favored up until the end of act 3, where the Republic finally turned the tide.

After a string of defeats (Losing balmorra, losing corellia, Malgus's betrayal, losing numerous superweapons, losing the First Son, a comatose Emperor, Sith infighting), the Empire is in bad shape for sure. But they aren't done yet. The Emperor still lives (altough severely weakened/incapacitated) and they still have the Foundry. Combining the foundry with the isotope-5 being mined as we speak, they could make a droid army of unprecendented strength in no time.

It's not over yet folks.
"Should we arrive at certainty without doubt and truth without error, it behooves us to place the foundations of knowledge in mathematics." - Roger Bacon
This is Vireth Danea, my Sith OC.

Stncold
07.02.2013 , 03:11 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post
Yes, what I actually wanted to say is the story where good guys win is a predictable story, because that's what people expect, that's what hollywood etc. teach them. If that's the case, the story must make up for that elsewhere to be good. The stories where the good guys don't win have IMO advantage in this.

For example, maybe you've seen the latest episode of Game of Thrones. Something like that makes the story so much better because it makes it less predictable. Yes, the GoT story would be great even if some event from the latest episode didn't happen, but it would not be that good.

So that is my whole point. Good guys win = predictability = not as good as it could be.
Except the good guys are going to win in the end on GoT. Martin has basically admitted as much, although it will be "bittersweet". Understandably since the show doesn't do a good job of showing it, many non-book readers don't understand the war and scheming for the throne of Westeros is not the main plot of the series. The main plot of the series is the White Walkers invading, and they are the real bad guys.
Selthia-Guardian
Zarrec- Gunslinger Yorenec-Commando
POT5.
RIP The Fatman

Kaisernick
07.02.2013 , 06:06 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by FoolsErrand View Post
I think a big thing is that, until Palpatine, the Republic never fell. No matter the enemy, no matter the threat, the Republic held strong..
Did it
"once more the sith will rule the galaxy" Palpatine Episode 3
So once more implies that they did at some point, but when?

dark-jehts
07.02.2013 , 06:15 PM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by Kyneris View Post
The way I experienced the game's story (I main a Jedi Consular) was being under the impression that the Empire was heavily favored up until the end of act 3, where the Republic finally turned the tide.

After a string of defeats (Losing balmorra, losing corellia, Malgus's betrayal, losing numerous superweapons, losing the First Son, a comatose Emperor, Sith infighting), the Empire is in bad shape for sure. But they aren't done yet. The Emperor still lives (altough severely weakened/incapacitated) and they still have the Foundry. Combining the foundry with the isotope-5 being mined as we speak, they could make a droid army of unprecendented strength in no time.

It's not over yet folks.
Oh boy , i was wondering what was going to be made out of the isotope 5 , and when doing the foundry on an alt i was like "hey the empire actually still have it , why doesn't they make overhelming numbers of droids?" but i didn't think of what could happen if both are combined
LS Bounty hunter and always willing to help a brother !

K'oyacyi vod ! Pirunir sur'haaise !
The Mando'ad legacy , TOFN