Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?

invertedknife

Hey everyone,

Our plan with the Encrypted Datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game. It will always be the Cartel Market teams goal to look for new and interesting things to add into the Cartel Market which are not gameplay impacting (avoiding pay-to-win, etc.). With that being said, we have heard your feedback loud and clear on this and we have no plans to place the Datacubes in the Cartel Market in the future.

Thanks!

-eric

My first instinct is to say "Good, they've heard us and made the right call" and move on. Picking at a topic after they've made a good decision seems like being a hater instead of giving constructive criticism to improve things. BUT I was really bothered by something in this response:

Distinguishing between "story content" and "gameplay impacting" content makes sense in some games, but SW:TOR's whole schtick was "Story as the 4th Pillar" of an MMO. That BW was deliberately trying to include story content in the CM makes me worry that they've given up on that whole concept as a failure.

This "Story Pillar", even more than the Star Wars IP, is what got me interested in the game and what has kept me a subscriber since pre-ordering. I know the game's budget has probably been slashed to heck, and I have no problem with them finding inventive ways to make money from the CM (as long as it doesn't gate off non-cosmetic content from subs), but I really, really hope they do NOT abandon the importance they put on Story.

I sincerely hope distinguishing between Story and Gameplay is just a case of "spin" being put on it to justify the attempt, and not a shift in their vision of the game.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone,

Our plan with the Encrypted Datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game. It will always be the Cartel Market teams goal to look for new and interesting things to add into the Cartel Market which are not gameplay impacting (avoiding pay-to-win, etc.). With that being said, we have heard your feedback loud and clear on this and we have no plans to place the Datacubes in the Cartel Market in the future.

Thanks!

-eric

Wow, that was not cool eric, Story does not belong on the CM, removing content from the game and placing it on the market and on top of that putting that on the packs is not cool at all what the hell happened to giving subs more value?, on the other side, holy crap did they listen to us? i still cant believe that eric came here and admited that(it sucks so bad that some people were right about this, the devs trying to devalue the subs even more, selling story on packs lol), i just hope that the next cubes are out of the CM as his said, keep the good work folks \o, cuz thanks to you people(Mike_Bluesky/SithKoriandr/some other folks)story will be out of the CM.

My first instinct is to say "Good, they've heard us and made the right call" and move on. Picking at a topic after they've made a good decision seems like being a hater instead of giving constructive criticism to improve things. BUT I was really bothered by something in this response:

Distinguishing between "story content" and "gameplay impacting" content makes sense in some games, but SW:TOR's whole schtick was "Story as the 4th Pillar" of an MMO. That BW was deliberately trying to include story content in the CM makes me worry that they've given up on that whole concept as a failure.

This "Story Pillar", even more than the Star Wars IP, is what got me interested in the game and what has kept me a subscriber since pre-ordering. I know the game's budget has probably been slashed to heck, and I have no problem with them finding inventive ways to make money from the CM (as long as it doesn't gate off non-cosmetic content from subs), but I really, really hope they do NOT abandon the importance they put on Story.

I sincerely hope distinguishing between Story and Gameplay is just a case of "spin" being put on it to justify the attempt, and not a shift in their vision of the game.

you know what saddens me men? now we all know they can just remove "pieces" of Story and place it on the CM at will, if it was not by some people voicing concerns, be sure that they would make the Packs a new avenue of story content( as eric just admited), and the excuse would be "not impacting gameplay", that really shows where the heart of the team is, CM all the way eh? what happened to "exclusive CM team only for comestic" now its "as long as it does not impact gameplay" hahah.

I had no problem with this, I'm sorry that the people complaining have won. As you pointed out, the cubes had no impact on game play.

Does this mean we won't get the other four cubes in the next pack to be released? I think there had been hints that there would be a reward for getting all 8 too... Is that all gone? :(

First, the market was cosmetic, now its not "gameplay impacting"? oh please, i play for the story so it impacts my gameplay, what now?

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric

Well, there you go. The Devs had a little bit of fun and we got pissed off about it. Rain on their parade. Well I'm glad to have this and that there will be no more content, backstory or otherwise that woun't be a part of an expansion.

YAY us.

First, the market was cosmetic, now its not "gameplay impacting"? oh please, i play for the story so it impacts my gameplay, what now?

Like I've asked before (which no one can seem to reasonably answer), what about the books and comic series? That is game pertinent story, where does that fit into the scheme of things?

Edited by Thylbanus

Well, there you go. The Devs had a little bit of fun and we got pissed off about it. Rain on their parade. Well I'm glad to have this and that there will be no more content, backstory or otherwise that woun't be a part of an expansion.

YAY us.

Like I've asked before (which no one can seem to reasonably answer), what about the books and comic series? That is game pertinent story, where does that fit into the scheme of things?

No where. Subs aren't paying 15 dollars a month for access to stories in books/comic series. They're paying for access to story content in the game.

And by Eric's post, they either changed their mind as to the CM being cosmetic to non-gameplay impacting, or they just consider the story a waste of time now.

Let's get real here,

Having seen the series of clips, there's nothing here too interesting or significant to the bigger picture. It's just like, an easter egg.

An easter egg they could've put into the game free for subs (or everyone) since it dealt with the story. :p

I find it amazing how forum posters where saying TOR is the best because of the story aspect compared to other MMOs and now seem to say "Eh, story means nothing."

Wow a complete honest answer, that nice, but the fact that this was even done is awful. At least they've confirmed it now, nothing beyond endgame gear is safe form the CM, after all the entire phrase “gameplay impacting” could be applied to almost every other aspect of the game. That has me very worried and they wonder why sub are starting to feel like they’re getting the short end of the stick.

What even sadder is the fact that some people are still defending this by saying it wasn’t much. It was a test; they outright said they are trying to see what they can get away with selling. If we hadn’t spoken out, they would be selling more story content to us. Thankful some of us did and that why as a community we have to be on our feet, make it clear that CM need stick to cosmetic items.

Anyways I’m happy they heard us, but it shouldn’t have been a hard call nor did it need to even happen. They need to start getting feedback (survey or something) before they do these things, as it just angers the players base and gives the game bad PR.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric

I appreciate the response, Eric. I'm not terribly happy that it was an attempt to see if story content could be sent through the Cartel Market. Hopefully, the response deters the team from future endeavors in this avenue.

I appreciate the response, Eric. I'm not terribly happy that it was an attempt to see if story content could be sent through the Cartel Market. Hopefully, the response deters the team from future endeavors in this avenue.

And now we'll see if we even get more story content period :/

For all we know this could mean, "if we can't sell it in the CM, it's not worth making outside of an expansion"

So you want to pay for content on top of your sub?

As far as I am concerned, my sub pays for me to play the game, with all the perks I get compared to F2P (which are numerous).

The amount I pay for my sub has not changed since the game started. So I started off paying X amount for Y amount of content.

But we are constantly getting new content. So now I am paying X amount for Y+++ content. Why wouldn't I expect to pay more?

Are you really saying BW should be spending all their time and energy making new content for the same amount of money? When does that happen in life?

You are paying the same amount of money as when the game first came out, but there is way more in there (and not just in the expansion, which we did pay for).

It may be a new concept, but businesses exist to make money and they don't do that by giving stuff away for free. These cubes were just a random fun little addition, like jawagrams. Or do you think you should get all those for free too?

If you didn't want to pay extra money for the datacubes, DON'T BUY THE DATACUBES. What was the problem with that scenario? Your game wouldn't have suffered without the datacubes. But because you and other people are spoiled and entitled, we all miss out. Thanks very much.

Plus, if you didn't want to pay real money, BW made them common enough that they go for about 20k on the GTN. If you are any kind of real player, 20k is nothing. Just buy them that way.

Edited by CrazyMcGee

And now we'll see if we even get more story content period :/

For all we know this could mean, "if we can't sell it in the CM, it's not worth making outside of an expansion"

Then our game in a lot more trouble then it appears, as other F2P games mange to have shops and still give out basic thing like quests without putting them into gamble bags. Yes I known the cubes weren't a quest, but they are story content and could have easily been added to the game for subs in a fun little quest chain. The pack would still have sold great since they had over half a dozen neat items in them.

I’m not against them making money or the CM. I’ve spent a lot in it, particular the collection system. I just think they could give a few more things in the game or have the choice to get it in game. Like Life Days, all my other games mange to actual do an in game event while selling fun things in there store. Here all we could do was buy items, I just feel it gives the game a bad imagine.

As far as I am concerned, my sub pays for me to play the game, with all the perks I get compared to F2P (which are numerous).

The amount I pay for my sub has not changed since the game started. So I started off paying X amount for Y amount of content.

But we are constantly getting new content. So now I am paying X amount for Y+++ content. Why wouldn't I expect to pay more?

Are you really saying BW should be spending all their time and energy making new content for the same amount of money? When does that happen in life?

You are paying the same amount of money as when the game first came out, but there is way more in there (and not just in the expansion, which we did pay for).

It may be a new concept, but businesses exist to make money and they don't do that by giving stuff away for free. These cubes were just a random fun little addition, like jawagrams. Or do you think you should get all those for free too?

If you didn't want to pay extra money for the datacubes, DON'T BUY THE DATACUBES. What was the problem with that scenario? Your game wouldn't have suffered without the datacubes. But because you and other people are spoiled and entitled, we all miss out. Thanks very much.

Plus, if you didn't want to pay real money, BW made them common enough that they go for about 20k on the GTN. If you are any kind of real player, 20k is nothing. Just buy them that way.

yeah, keep going, when they start putting Companion and other story heavy quests on Packs, you will see what we are talking about, and please enough with the "cubes are not important etc etc etc", if you dont like story or does not care, thats you, a lot of people got sucked into the game with the promise of "Story" and the CM came promising only "comestic", we all know how that ended right? lv 10 Color crytals, Space ship parts grade 7 and now its story content? i dont care if youre unable to see that those 9 Cubes are obviously a small quest chain that was removed from the game to be placed on the CM, but stop claiming that the Shroud personal datalog is nothing, because its on the same level as Companion quests.

oh and btw your logic is flawed, why pay subs to keep playing old content? i dont play MMOs a lot, but aint that their promise? keep subed and they keep delivering content? your whole argument makes no sense, were subbed just to not have F2P restrictions lol?

Edited by Sohaim

YAY us.

what? that makes no sense, why are you bringing comics into this? the Shourd is related to our characters, and its part of makeb story, as far as i know the story here centers of 8 classes, so why we would not get story thats related to them? your argument makes no sense, the Comic talk about other stories no? with other protagonist no? or do they have the Jedi Knight,Consular,Smuggler,Trooper, Sith Warrior,Inquisitor,Bounty Hunter and Agent in it?

i dont care if youre unable to see that those 9 Cubes are obviously a small quest chain that was removed from the game to be placed on the CM, but stop claiming that the Shroud personal datalog is nothing, because its on the same level as Companion quests.

That is purely speculative. There was more than enough time between RotHC and now for them to create that.

And as far as 'on the same level as Companion quests?' Ya, the bottom most level. I love talking to my companions, but when the quest to talk to them is nothing more than like 5 lines of dialogue from them and I have no response, it's a bit underwhelming. Actually, some might argue that the datacube scenes are less than the bottom level of a comp quest because it's not personal.

That is purely speculative. There was more than enough time between RotHC and now for them to create that.

And as far as 'on the same level as Companion quests?' Ya, the bottom most level. I love talking to my companions, but when the quest to talk to them is nothing more than like 5 lines of dialogue from them and I have no response, it's a bit underwhelming. Actually, some might argue that the datacube scenes are less than the bottom level of a comp quest because it's not personal.

The significance doesn't matter at all. Why do people keep saying it's not important? We don't care, not even the most marginal part of the story should be on CM.

Edited by zzoorrzz

The significance doesn't matter at all. Why do people keep saying it's not important? We don't care, not even the most marginal part of the story should be on CM.

I did not state that it's not important. I was simply disagreeing with the other guy's evaluation of the content. I for the most part agree that any sort of dialogue pertaining to the SWTOR lore and story should be kept off the CM.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric

i certainly appreciate the communication, even on a controversial subject.

having said that, this is the most doom-and-gloom post i've seen on here in a long time. this game is doing so poorly that the cost of my subscription can't even cover small basic storylines anymore? i think it's kind of sad you aren't able to provide new content for subscribers without charging extra anymore.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric

Good to hear you guys are listening.

If only you'd do that about PvP :<

I don't know what MMOs you played, but the MMOs I've played, my sub covered additional story content like those cubes. In fact it covered far greater content updates than RotHC.

Did some actually have expansions as well? Yes. But the sub cost also included other updates and not just "Oh you get to log into the game"

Then our game in a lot more trouble then it appears, as other F2P games mange to have shops and still give out basic thing like quests without putting them into gamble bags. Yes I known the cubes weren't a quest, but they are story content and could have easily been added to the game for subs in a fun little quest chain. The pack would still have sold great since they had over half a dozen neat items in them.

I’m not against them making money or the CM. I’ve spent a lot in it, particular the collection system. I just think they could give a few more things in the game or have the choice to get it in game. Like Life Days, all my other games mange to actual do an in game event while selling fun things in there store. Here all we could do was buy items, I just feel it gives the game a bad imagine.

Same. I've been spending 40-100 dollars extra a month on CM, so it's not like I'm against RNG Packs or the CM.

If anything, I think this proves they screwed up in the beginning and could've kept way more players if they started the game with adaptive gear, crystals just being aesthetic, and a few other things they haven't implemented yet (or won't bother to). Customization is just to important a part in MMOs imo to limit as much as they did.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric

Key words are "not gameplay impacting" and "(avoiding pay-to-win, etc.)". Eric said those things, and the Eric gets to define them. We could apply what we think those phrases mean, but that ultimately isn't our call to make.

Here's my fear: a new flashpoint, that offers the same gear as other existing flashpoints, may not be considered "gameplay impacting" by the devs.

So a new flashpoint could be offered on the Cartel Market, random packs or straight-up purchase. Anything gotten from that flashpoint can be gotten from another flashpoint, so it's not pay-to-win and it may not be "gameplay impacting".

The new flashpoint may have a new story, but this whole occurrence has just prooved that "story" is now considered something that can be put on the Cartel Market.

If "story" is just considered fluff (since it doesn't affect gameplay), what's to stop future flashpoints or class/companion stories from being Cartel Market exclusive?

I could see there being an issue with Operations because Operations have lockouts and an extra operation would mean more opportunity for gear beyond the TfB/S&V weekly lockouts.

These are just my concerns since all we have to go on are phrases which are open to interpretation. Seems like many people assume that <what is said> means what they want. The past has taught us that with this game (and really whenever dealing with a business) always find the interpretation that lets the business do the least amount of work for the most amount of your money.

Edited by Jaing

Key words are "not gameplay impacting" and "(avoiding pay-to-win, etc.)". /snip

Well, we can only hope that this backlash on story as minor as the cubes (yes, they are minor, but they are story, so not on CM) will send a message to BW that we are more than willing to pay for cosmetic and vanity stuff from CM (which I think shows on revenue from CM), but not for story and gameplay.

If BW wants to place Story on CM, I would be fine with it being like Section X, which is "free" for subscribers, but must be unlocked for F2P/Pref.

Well, we can only hope that this backlash on story as minor as the cubes (yes, they are minor, but they are story, so not on CM) will send a message to BW that we are more than willing to pay for cosmetic and vanity stuff from CM (which I think shows on revenue from CM), but not for story and gameplay.

If BW wants to place Story on CM, I would be fine with it being like Section X, which is "free" for subscribers, but must be unlocked for F2P/Pref.

and bioware is hoping that you get the message they're sending you.

which is obviously that they want new content to be released through the cartel market, preferably through gambling packs so a single purchase within the monthly allotment limits may not be enough. for whatever reason, there are apparently no longer enough subscribers to keep the lights on and servers running at bioware.