Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Cartel Market - a good or bad thing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Cartel Market - a good or bad thing?

LordArtemis
06.26.2013 , 12:15 PM | #31
If I were to make some suggestions to help with this problems....

1) Convert all Orange quality armor and weapons that a player can craft (best quality from RE) into Level 1 Orange adaptable schematics, and remove class requirements. We are way past the entire "classes should have a unique look" thing now. There are many popular looks I would expect that can be crafted and this would be a boon for crafters.

2) Add a way for subs to earn CC in game other than achievements. Offer very small payouts for participating in things like crafting, heroics, flashpoints, PVP, space combat, etc....any part of the game that Bioware would like to promote participation. I would say the payout should be no more than one coin at a time, max 10 coins per day, 70 per week.

This would go a long way toward reducing the complaints about Cartel Market only content because subs could generate in game CC to purchase it above and beyond the CC grant/Achievements, not to mention make it another reason to sub.

3) Add sub only perks.

Legacy Cargo Bay (Cargo bay in your quarters on your ship that all characters in your legacy have access to/shared single cargo bay tab)
Veteran rewards (one item granted per month subbed, major item for 3 month intervals)
Planetary Heroic daily kiosk (kiosk when you finish a planet that opens up for use at starport entrance on each planet, has no XP quest list for all heroic and area quest npcs, points and termnals on a planet. Finishing all the quests grants a daily reward)
Further reduced mod extraction and repair costs (20 percent)
Group leader summon (ability for group leader to summon players in group to group leaders location on a planet, shares cooldown with QT, have to be on the same planet, does not work in PVP or when flagged for PVP)
Reduced crafting times (25 percent)
Dual spec ability for subs (game saves spec loadout, ability locations on quickbars, etc. that can be loaded after a respec is chosen)
Legacy Mail unlock (ability to unlock a second email kiosk, only on station, that allows a player to mail to all legacy characters unrestricted (coins and 8 items). Uses a drop down list that displays all legacy character names. Can be used by preferred but must be unlocked while subbed)

May add more later.

TheOneWag
06.26.2013 , 12:37 PM | #32
$15 a month for a sub and the amounts that most things cost in Cartel Coins are trivial if you have a remotely decent (read: higher than minimum wage) income.

Go to the movies one time at night and buy ONE item at the concession stand: unless you're hitting up the budget theater and you live close, trust me that you'll be spending more than $15 bucks for tickets, food, and gas. For that amount, you get a few hours of entertainment and a (usually) junk food snack.

Spend $15 plus roughly $5 for Cartel Coins to get a month of sub and Cathar - and you can have the opportunity to play the game for as many hours as you can stay awake a month and the Cathar race for as long as the game is live.

Which is the better entertainment value? Which good is more durable?

Entertainment value is largely arbitrary - some people would have had more fun staying at home and staring at a wall. Either way, you can't deny that the CC and Subscription purchases are a more durable good than almost any entertainment "event" purchases.

Lol go figure - I know people who order UFC or Wrestlemania pay-per-views for $30-60 for a few hours of watching two guys beat the crap (or pretend to beat the crap) out of each other. Really when you compare the cost of CC and Subs to other purchases, I just don't see what the big deal is.

Superman_AZ
06.26.2013 , 12:40 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by BennettWHU View Post
The fact is, EA has a sales stratagem which does indeed force people to purchase these Cartel Coins in the end. Most MMO's release a new race or class with every other new expansion and SWTOR was to be no different or that is what EAware lead us to believe. The Cathar race was announced and a lot of people became very excited about being able to play as the Cathar race - me not so much. So we waited and they were pushed back to become a part of the ROTHC expansion. Ok, that is fine. So we all waited again and on release found no Cathar and were told they had been pushed back to the next patch. Ok, that is annoying, but we'll go along with it. And then finally, when released, we were expected to fork out 600 Cartel Coins to purchase them. Disgusting. Now, to be honest, I wasn't too excited about the Cathar anyway, but what EAware had done got me angry and the forums, general chat and fan sites lit up with rage comments about it.

Personally, I am a fan of the CM. I find unlocks, packs, and equipment constantly to add to my collections. But, something I wanted to comment on. In your statement above, you mention how people are forced to pay for CCs to get what content or unlocks they want from the CM. In the case of the Cathar, it is about $6 worth of CCs. You and I played WoW for 7 years. Tell me, when you bought Burning Crusade brand new, how much was it? Or how about Wrath of the Lich King, or Cataclysm, or Mists of Pandaria?

For me, I spent $50 on the original game, and $50 on each expansion. Then there was the 7 years of subs. 84 months at $15 each is another $1260 on top of the $250 I spent on the digital versions to download the games when they were current. That means, for WoW alone, I spent close to $1,500+. With SW:TOR, I have a sub, but I only have to pay $9.99 for the expansion as a Sub. I spent $40 for the game when it was new. I've been subbed a total of 8 months (before and after my year off from SWTOR) for another $120. When I add in the $200 I have spent on CCs to get everything I wanted, that comes to $360.

SW:TOR has cost less than $400 and I get everything I want, versus WoW at $1500+ and having to try hard to get anything I wanted in that game. Personally, I would take the CM and SWTOR over WoW any day of the week. I don't have hundreds of hours anymore to waste on video games, but as an adult who makes a very fair amount of money, I do have dollars to throw at it and allow myself to enjoy it a bit more for the 6-8 hours a week I actually get to play.

So, for me, this is a very GOOD thing, and for BWEA, it is likely a larger source of revenue even over and above the subs and expansion sales. So, as a Sub, it cost me $10 for the expac and $6 for my Cathar unlock. $16 sounds a LOT more reasonable than $50 for an expansion that gives me Panda bears.
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

Rhysling
06.26.2013 , 12:50 PM | #34
I like it. It has cosmetic gear and items. Some of them I buy with my monthly allotment of coins. Some I buy from the GTN.

I think as long as the items stay to the cosmetic side then it will do fine.

JimG
06.26.2013 , 02:11 PM | #35
Is the CM a good or bad thing? Well, without the CM, there would be no game. The game was on the path to folding which is why they switched to the hybrid F2P model and doubled their monthly revenue since they introduced the CM. Therefore, the analysis is pretty simple from my perspective.....no CM = no game to play....so the CM is good in my opinion.

Jrea
06.26.2013 , 03:51 PM | #36
Good in that's is bringing more cash into the game, bad that is the only thing EA Bioware can focus on. I'm personally done buying cc's until they use some of that money for development.

SithKoriandr
06.26.2013 , 05:33 PM | #37
I like it as a general rule. I hate how they've implemented some features.

I like RNG Packs, I have no problem with these. But story content in them? Against. Putting in game outfits that have been requested for the longest time in a RNG pack then make them hard to get? Yeah, against. For that, it really only comes down to Thana Vesh's outfit however. Requested forever, and they put it in a pack with almost no chance to obtain it, and it's expensive as heck on the GTN.

They're ignoring some other popular items that would sell well, easy to add in, and no idea why they would do that (Aspiring Jedi Knight Vest). They put the gloves and boots in the pack with a relaxed version of the top. Perfect time to just put the already in game version of the chest piece in as a direct sale item.

Now, those new costume bits put in? Go ahead! Good idea! Maybe avoid recolored versions now.

Dye packs! RNG? Yeah. Against. Sorry, they should've just given a straight buy it direct option. :/ RNG these was a bad move.

Haven't been against the CM, but have been against how they've decided to run with it. :/
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

JamieKirby
06.26.2013 , 05:47 PM | #38
I think it was be a good thing if it sold something worthwhile, I mean, some mods that scales with level, something with the stats of a green/blue (ie. something better then a green, but slightly worse then a blue)

I would so buy more coins to get those mods.

TrillOG-
06.26.2013 , 06:04 PM | #39
Considering half the reason this game is even still alive is because of it... Id say its pretty good.

SithKoriandr
06.26.2013 , 08:07 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by TrillOG- View Post
Considering half the reason this game is even still alive is because of it... Id say its pretty good.
Considering they had the population they said it would need to stay going, but then went and said, yeah we need more now, we lied...may not be good however.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry