Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

jamesvasquez
06.26.2013 , 10:02 AM | #381
An official word, that it appears, we are never going to receive.
Fanboy for life!!!!!!

EricMusco
06.26.2013 , 10:20 AM | #382 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey everyone,

Our plan with the Encrypted Datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game. It will always be the Cartel Market teams goal to look for new and interesting things to add into the Cartel Market which are not gameplay impacting (avoiding pay-to-win, etc.). With that being said, we have heard your feedback loud and clear on this and we have no plans to place the Datacubes in the Cartel Market in the future.

Thanks!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Mike_Bluesky
06.26.2013 , 10:23 AM | #383
Thank you very much Eric. But I have to add that I hope there won't be any other try to put lore into CM besides datacubes. Much appreciated.
The most scary thing I've read on SWTOR forum (see this for context)
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Lore is not playable content. It is fluff that you can admire and immerse yourself in for sure. Then again, so are the armor skins that are CM only.

veyl
06.26.2013 , 10:33 AM | #384
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey everyone,

Our plan with the Encrypted Datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game. It will always be the Cartel Market teams goal to look for new and interesting things to add into the Cartel Market which are not gameplay impacting (avoiding pay-to-win, etc.). With that being said, we have heard your feedback loud and clear on this and we have no plans to place the Datacubes in the Cartel Market in the future.

Thanks!

-eric
Testing the waters to see if people would buy more packs for story content is pretty shady practices. The amount of money that you're making for what you're currently selling in the CM isn't enough? You do realize this is what people have feared the game would turn into, right? Being nickle and dimed at every corner for content that should be in the game for free.

If the Development team would've put up a poll "Would you pay cartel coins for inconsequential story content (though it is connected to a current story line as a prelude of sorts) in the cartel market?" The response would've been a resounding Go to hell.

ninjonxb
06.26.2013 , 10:39 AM | #385
Quote: Originally Posted by veyl View Post
If the Development team would've put up a poll "Would you pay cartel coins for inconsequential story content (though it is connected to a current story line as a prelude of sorts) in the cartel market?" The response would've been a resounding Go to hell.
I have to agree with the last part, but on a larger scale. It would be nice of more often we got threads asking for input (with polls to make it easier) on certain things, possibly things that are really early in development.
Thank you Bioware for adding in Same Sex Story Arcs .^.
How I feel reading the SWTOR forums http://i.imgur.com/tCp90.gif
SWTOR Calendar of Events(Forum Post)(Google Calendar, iCal, Twitter)

dscount
06.26.2013 , 10:43 AM | #386
Yes... I think the message is pretty clear. TY eric for updating everyone.

You know folks have brought this up a couple times before.

WHY DON'T you SURVEY the community before doing things? I mean Forums are great for hearing about things AFTER you deploy them, but that's a waste of time/money and potentially upset's customers if nobody wanted.

I think a weekly SURVEY of some sort via mail might be worth the trouble to test the waters on ideas. Make it worth everyone's while and throw in say 5cc's for the trouble each survey completed (Once per week or month).
Sage/Sorc Gate 2013 Combat DEV LOL Responses:
"...you must play defensively and make them pay for trying to kill you."
"...require a higher skill level than many players are comfortable with."

oofalong
06.26.2013 , 10:46 AM | #387
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric
Just to clarify where will the remaining 4 Encrypted Data Cubes come from - the next pack or with credits from some in-game vendor?
Prophecy of the Five
Read my Annihilation & Watchman Compendium whenever that site comes back online.
Confused by all of the Proc Relics? Read my new and improved relic explanation.
You are correct Oofalong.

ninjonxb
06.26.2013 , 10:48 AM | #388
Quote: Originally Posted by dscount View Post
Yes... I think the message is pretty clear. TY eric for updating everyone.

You know folks have brought this up a couple times before.

WHY DON'T you SURVEY the community before doing things? I mean Forums are great for hearing about things AFTER you deploy them, but that's a waste of time/money and potentially upset's customers if nobody wanted.

I think a weekly SURVEY of some sort via mail might be worth the trouble to test the waters on ideas. Make it worth everyone's while and throw in say 5cc's for the trouble each survey completed (Once per week or month).
Something in game might be better. Aion did (maybe still does). Sent out survey's often (unfortunately most were, how is the game not future content related) and when you finished it you got a few XP boosts I think (the gift was a nice little gift)
Thank you Bioware for adding in Same Sex Story Arcs .^.
How I feel reading the SWTOR forums http://i.imgur.com/tCp90.gif
SWTOR Calendar of Events(Forum Post)(Google Calendar, iCal, Twitter)

iamthehoyden
06.26.2013 , 11:14 AM | #389
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric
I appreciate the honesty in admitting that these cubes were intended to test whether you could get away with adding story content to the list of what you can charge extra for through the CM. The fact that that's what you were doing...yeah, not cool. However, you do get points for listening to the feedback and acting on it, which is something you guys seem to be consistently improving.

This is why feedback is important, people.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

DarthTHC
06.26.2013 , 11:16 AM | #390
Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric
In other words, you tried to push the envelope just like you did with the G7 ship components. Then you realized based on severe community backlash you pushed too far?

Maybe you should stop trying to push the envelope.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer