Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?

invertedknife

What makes it significant is in-game vs. other media sources. In-game lore should not be charged for, with the exception of an expansion. I hope this addresses your question satisfactorily enough.

Well then look at it as a micro-expansion.

Gear is cosmetic. The gear needed for the game can be found in the game. If you want to wear something specific, you can find it through the CM. This is still a completely separate issue from lore being on the Cartel Market.

Well I have a response for that since the gear is not a problem:

If it's not a problem for you - ok. But it is for me and a bunch of other people who believe all lore in this game should be accessible by normal means.

This same argument was used by others who were unhappy with the other aspects of the Cartel Market, including the gear.

Edited by Thylbanus

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing? That makes absolutely no sense. There's not enough content there to be considered any type of expansion. It should just be either in-game or nonexistent.

No, I'm just pointing out, as you just did, how insignificant it is. Especially that this has been going on for 378 posts. So who is arguing just to argue?

If I were just tring to argue, I would have said:

Only a Sith deals in absolutes. - Obi-wan Kenobi

No, I'm just pointing out, as you just did, how insignificant it is. Especially that this has been going on for 378 posts. So who is arguing just to argue?

If I were just tring to argue, I would have said:

It's been going on for this many pages because there shouldn't be any amount of lore on the CM. It doesn't matter how much it is. What matters is that it is there and it shouldn't be.

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

Our plan with the Encrypted Datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game. It will always be the Cartel Market teams goal to look for new and interesting things to add into the Cartel Market which are not gameplay impacting (avoiding pay-to-win, etc.). With that being said, we have heard your feedback loud and clear on this and we have no plans to place the Datacubes in the Cartel Market in the future.

Thanks!

-eric

Hey everyone,

Our plan with the Encrypted Datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game. It will always be the Cartel Market teams goal to look for new and interesting things to add into the Cartel Market which are not gameplay impacting (avoiding pay-to-win, etc.). With that being said, we have heard your feedback loud and clear on this and we have no plans to place the Datacubes in the Cartel Market in the future.

Thanks!

-eric

Testing the waters to see if people would buy more packs for story content is pretty shady practices. The amount of money that you're making for what you're currently selling in the CM isn't enough? You do realize this is what people have feared the game would turn into, right? Being nickle and dimed at every corner for content that should be in the game for free.

If the Development team would've put up a poll "Would you pay cartel coins for inconsequential story content (though it is connected to a current story line as a prelude of sorts) in the cartel market?" The response would've been a resounding Go to hell.

Edited by veyl

If the Development team would've put up a poll "Would you pay cartel coins for inconsequential story content (though it is connected to a current story line as a prelude of sorts) in the cartel market?" The response would've been a resounding Go to hell.

I have to agree with the last part, but on a larger scale. It would be nice of more often we got threads asking for input (with polls to make it easier) on certain things, possibly things that are really early in development.

Yes... I think the message is pretty clear. TY eric for updating everyone.

You know folks have brought this up a couple times before.

WHY DON'T you SURVEY the community before doing things? I mean Forums are great for hearing about things AFTER you deploy them, but that's a waste of time/money and potentially upset's customers if nobody wanted.

I think a weekly SURVEY of some sort via mail might be worth the trouble to test the waters on ideas. Make it worth everyone's while and throw in say 5cc's for the trouble each survey completed (Once per week or month).

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric

Just to clarify where will the remaining 4 Encrypted Data Cubes come from - the next pack or with credits from some in-game vendor?

Yes... I think the message is pretty clear. TY eric for updating everyone.

You know folks have brought this up a couple times before.

WHY DON'T you SURVEY the community before doing things? I mean Forums are great for hearing about things AFTER you deploy them, but that's a waste of time/money and potentially upset's customers if nobody wanted.

I think a weekly SURVEY of some sort via mail might be worth the trouble to test the waters on ideas. Make it worth everyone's while and throw in say 5cc's for the trouble each survey completed (Once per week or month).

Something in game might be better. Aion did (maybe still does). Sent out survey's often (unfortunately most were, how is the game not future content related) and when you finished it you got a few XP boosts I think (the gift was a nice little gift)

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric

I appreciate the honesty in admitting that these cubes were intended to test whether you could get away with adding story content to the list of what you can charge extra for through the CM. The fact that that's what you were doing...yeah, not cool. However, you do get points for listening to the feedback and acting on it, which is something you guys seem to be consistently improving.

This is why feedback is important, people.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric

In other words, you tried to push the envelope just like you did with the G7 ship components. Then you realized based on severe community backlash you pushed too far?

Maybe you should stop trying to push the envelope. :rolleyes:

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric

Im glad you realize that this was a ***** move. However, I am getting tired of if things constantly getting pushed to the CM. This trend has to stop or Im not going to last much longer. I do not care if EA wants the ROI that bad, find another way to do it.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric

If Bioware considered packs a good way to bring us some more story content. Then I have to admit that this has me a bit worried regarding the future of the CM and what we'll see on it.

These data cubes really should have been something that you could pick up from seeker droids.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

-eric

Are there any plans to add a replacement reward for the credit boom, something that level 55 players could actually use? Bound XP boosts are not useful to a level 55 player. Since you guys removed something I would really appreciate it if you could take the time to come up with an appropriate replacement that end game players would find useful.

If Bioware considered packs a good way to bring us some more story content. Then I have to admit that this has me a bit worried regarding the future of the CM and what we'll see on it.

These data cubes really should have been something that you could pick up from seeker droids.

Like I said before, when I talked to Damion Schubert in person, he was adamant that they would never put any story content on the CM that wasn't just a short exposition and never anything impacting with the major plot or characters, so I never had a fear of them putting things like character story arcs on it (unless, of course, the people actually started clamoring for it).. The fact that they have consistently listened to feedback about the things they put on it does the opposite of get me worried. Clearly this did not increase pack sales or make anyone happy, so it's done.

Like I said before, when I talked to Damion Schubert in person, he was adamant that they would never put any story content on the CM that wasn't just a short exposition and never anything impacting with the major plot or characters, so I never had a fear of them putting things like character story arcs on it (unless, of course, the people actually started clamoring for it).. The fact that they have consistently listened to feedback about the things they put on it does the opposite of get me worried. Clearly this did not increase pack sales or make anyone happy, so it's done.

/Agree

The datacubes were a gimmick at best, and forum flame bait at no extra charge. :D

Stop implementing things just to rip off your players.

You can't rip a player off with anything in the CM.

Purchase is at the choice and discretion of the player and the player should review and decide if the purchase has value to them or not. Nobody is forcing anyone to purchase CM content.

And believe it or not.. you cannot protect players from themselves where poor judgment is concerned.

I do not subscribe to the "helicopter mom" theory about Bioware needing to protect the players from themselves.

Now.. if you want to complain that Bioware is "teasing" players with eye candy in the CM... OK... fair point... but again... players cannot be protected from their own impulses to chase the tease.

Hey everyone,

Our plan with the Encrypted Datacubes was simply to see if packs would be another avenue of getting story content in the game.

-eric

Another avenue to add story content?! It's not like you guys have exhausted the whole "quest" idea yet...ouch Eric...a lotta people play FOR the stories...