Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pvp bolster not fixed. Hurry up Titan.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Pvp bolster not fixed. Hurry up Titan.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthOvertone
06.25.2013 , 06:00 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
It seems to me that the core problem with the 54 gear is it bolsters expertise too high.
This is, and has been, one of the main problems with Bolster since Beta. The Bolster is too strong to make any sort of gear progression in PvP relevant.

Sorry, but there is no good argument anywhere that level 54 gear should be qualitatively better than, or even equivalent, to level 55 gear in any way, let alone that crafted PvE gear be better than T1 PvP gear. It's stupid.

The problem is compounded by the fact that Rob Hinkle has admitted that the target for Bolster is Conqueror gear and not Partisan gear. This is why many of the PvE BiS issues are happening at all. The Bolster target should be the T1 PvP gear, not the T2 gear. It was true in Beta, and it's true now, unfortunately the Devs just don't get it.

So at this stage, unless you really are intent on min/maxing Conqueror gear, there is no reason to grind PvP gear at all. Just gear up in min/maxed Purple crafted gear at 55 and you will be in great shape for any PvP you want to do, except for some occasional OPvP (which only happens on one server anyway). This is precisely what I'm doing for my alts at 55 btw.
War Hero Alphabolt - Garbage S1 & S2-Champion Van | The Bastion
Conqueror Alphazen - Shadow | Battlemaster Alphabain - Scoundrel | War Hero Alphanoob - PT
Jung Ma | Conqueror Alphabond - Sniper | Conqueror Alphamaul - Marauder | Battlemaster Alphafett - Mercenary
SWTOR 3.0: All Hail Maintenance Mode PvP!!

Pappone
06.25.2013 , 06:06 PM | #52
Full Conq Augmented
Mainly PVE, missing 3 augments
These two pictures show pvp gear vs. pve gear inside a wz. The difference in expertise is under 4% damage loss while using PVE, yet certain stats can still be prioritized. You can see my surge and accuracy using PVE gear is better while sacrificing only a little crit but a lot of endurance.

The bolster "fix" did help level the playing field, but imo still has a ways to go.

RougeBeaver
06.25.2013 , 07:52 PM | #53
Yet another false patch note? Shocked...
The only true profit in this galaxy is freedom.

Daynna
06.25.2013 , 08:07 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Keypek View Post
Yep, been saying this since pts testing. They just need to set base values that everyone should be at at level 29, 54, and 55 to be competitive for each set of WZs for all stats and just automatically put everyone at those stats. Pvp gear is the only gear whos stats count towards any stat totals outside of the minimum amount. Once you get enough pvp gear to get one or more of the stats to rise higher then the minimum then that value takes over instead of the minimum.

So simplisitcally you join a WZ. If everyone was naked every single person would have the exact same stats across the board (obviously with main stats and secondary stats being change around according to class). If every single person had Underworld maxed gear they'd all still have the minimum stats across the board. Those who had pvp gear would have whatever values they added up to over the minimums.

Or am I just over simplifying this?
Way too simple man.

SlightlySychotic
06.25.2013 , 08:31 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by PINKPARAKEET View Post
Bolster is such a fail... What was so bad about recruit gear anyways?
It was horrifically underpowered. It was like giving a sky diver a helmet and telling him he had to earn his parachute. An enemy in full war hero could go through it like it was made of paper while you're attacks were seemed to merely suggest that he take damage. It was just marginally better than the level 40 greens most PvP players were running around in before they just started handing it out at fifty. Anyone lamenting for the days of Recruit Gear hadn't worn any in months.
Darth Sychotic: (Sith Juggernaut) "Whatever does not kill you has failed and must be made to pay egregiously for its error."
Kaz Keeno: (Scoundrel) "One day I hope we can just move on and put this whole 'trying-to-kill-me' nonsense behind us."

Savej
06.25.2013 , 08:46 PM | #56
Just for the record, Blizzard junked what they were doing on Titan, took many of their devs off the project and announced that they are redesigning it: it's not going to be playable for at least a few years if ever.

kweassa
06.25.2013 , 08:58 PM | #57
Just out of curiosity, just how many of you here really has met this supposed "PvE bolster exploiter" in full conqueror/aug gear and really felt that the balance was so unreasonably off that it warrants the current level of relentless whining?

I mean, I've seen them, I've fought against them, sometimes even in just full Partisan/aug, and frankly, apart from the higher HP (which I admit I envy a little bit), they really weren't "OP" in anyway. Its basically no different from fighting someone in full partisan with a 50:50 green/blue-and-partisan... and in a bit more comparable conditions -- in full Conq/aug setup -- there's no real noticeable difference I've felt, at the receiving end.

Bolster needs tweaks -- I understand that.

But I daresay there's something really wrong with people that seem to portray Bolster as if it were some kind of behind-everything, evil incarnate that would unbalance and destroy PvP or something. In all honesty, the difference in performance is almost negligible than compared to effects of individual difference in player skill.
"90% of PvP complaints come from people that are thoroughly unqualified to comment about anything in the first place. Stop assuming that you are a good player, then an answer will come; why you die so often, why you are CCd so often, and why you complain about healers so often - You're simply a bad player. Harsh truth."

cashogy_reborn
06.25.2013 , 09:09 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by SlightlySychotic View Post
It was horrifically underpowered. It was like giving a sky diver a helmet and telling him he had to earn his parachute. An enemy in full war hero could go through it like it was made of paper while you're attacks were seemed to merely suggest that he take damage. It was just marginally better than the level 40 greens most PvP players were running around in before they just started handing it out at fifty. Anyone lamenting for the days of Recruit Gear hadn't worn any in months.
while this was true, the solution would have obviously been to create a mk3 set of recruit gear that was better suited to allow new players to be competitive? not to come up with this ridiculousness that is bolster
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

PINKPARAKEET
06.25.2013 , 09:54 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by SlightlySychotic View Post
Yeah but the idea of it is much better than the idea of bolster. And by that I mean I think they should just give everyone a set of gear that sets a player's stats slightly lower than partisan.

PINKPARAKEET
06.25.2013 , 10:02 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by kweassa View Post
Just out of curiosity, just how many of you here really has met this supposed "PvE bolster exploiter" in full conqueror/aug gear and really felt that the balance was so unreasonably off that it warrants the current level of relentless whining?

I mean, I've seen them, I've fought against them, sometimes even in just full Partisan/aug, and frankly, apart from the higher HP (which I admit I envy a little bit), they really weren't "OP" in anyway. Its basically no different from fighting someone in full partisan with a 50:50 green/blue-and-partisan... and in a bit more comparable conditions -- in full Conq/aug setup -- there's no real noticeable difference I've felt, at the receiving end.

Bolster needs tweaks -- I understand that.

But I daresay there's something really wrong with people that seem to portray Bolster as if it were some kind of behind-everything, evil incarnate that would unbalance and destroy PvP or something. In all honesty, the difference in performance is almost negligible than compared to effects of individual difference in player skill.
The fact that non-pvp gear is better than pvp gear is terrible and a horrible move by the dev team. The developers haven't really done anything for the pvp community lately other than this and all it did was more damage.