Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dread Guard nerf - Catering to the Casual

Airwolfe
06.24.2013 , 07:15 PM | #1
'The enrage timer for The Dread Guard has been increased by 30 seconds in Hard and Nightmare Modes.'

Nice to see Bioware caving to the casuals (Attn, this pro-nerf thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...76#post6425376 - in which several members of a guild and others declare the fight impossible, to be proven wrong a few days later).

Not really.

This is Nightmare mode. This fight has been cleared by multiple guilds now - why nerf it? This decision simply robs the ability to compete for other guilds who still want challenge.

This speaks poorly to Bioware's intent to provide challenging content, in my opinion.
Will future content be continually nerfed to the point of Nightmare mode being 'everyone and their mother can clear it in a day-mode'?
Airwolfe - Marauder <Chosen>

Acridine
06.24.2013 , 07:26 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Airwolfe View Post
'The enrage timer for The Dread Guard has been increased by 30 seconds in Hard and Nightmare Modes.'

Not really.

This is Nightmare mode. This fight has been cleared by multiple guilds now - why nerf it? This decision simply robs the ability to compete for other guilds who still want challenge.

This speaks poorly to Bioware's intent to provide challenging content, in my opinion.
Will future content be continually nerfed to the point of Nightmare mode being 'everyone and their mother can clear it in a day-mode'?
I suppose DNT brought some of that on themselves but we're all still part of the same community and server. In the future, I'd hope to see less divisiveness and more friendly rivalry. As for the nerf, though, it's certainly tough to argue with Air's points. There are three difficulty tiers and the hardest should require flawless execution by the best players.

ErosGyne
06.24.2013 , 07:29 PM | #3
Do you think that now with the +30s to enrage timer will make it easy? Most guilds dont reach that far, half way of phase 2 with luck
I beat you 1 credit that most will not clear it, the damage and healing that a player has to output is still there
Some of the more hardcore will, but the casual players?? HELL NO , most of the casual cant clear it in HM
BW will need to "nerf" it even more like what they did with Lost Island HM
And i dont call it a nerf, is more of a adjustment
And on the post about the DG are overtuned, 1 guild(atleast 1 guy that clear it) said that the fight needed atleast more 15 to 30s, so the opinions diverge abit

AshlaBoga
06.24.2013 , 07:40 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ErosGyne View Post
Do you think that now with the +30s to enrage timer will make it easy? Most guilds dont reach that far, half way of phase 2 with luck
I beat you 1 credit that most will not clear it, the damage and healing that a player has to output is still there
Some of the more hardcore will, but the casual players?? HELL NO , most of the casual cant clear it in HM
BW will need to "nerf" it even more like what they did with Lost Island HM
And i dont call it a nerf, is more of a adjustment
Even with 30 seconds NiM DG is still tough as nails. Don't let the 30 seconds fool you, it's still the hardest fight in the Operation.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

TrillOG-
06.24.2013 , 08:13 PM | #5
Sigh... content doesn't get cleared on first day? Better nerf it...
Edit: In hm too? Why....

ErosGyne
06.24.2013 , 08:38 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TrillOG- View Post
Sigh... content doesn't get cleared on first day? Better nerf it...
Edit: In hm too? Why....
Because casual cant clear it in HM

Pietrastor
06.24.2013 , 08:45 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ErosGyne View Post
Because casual cant clear it in HM
Except that they can, Dread Guards ain't the raid-wiper boss of this HM Ops, Operator is.

Flying-Brian
06.24.2013 , 08:45 PM | #8
It's not a change to the mechanics, HP of the bosses or the damage going out. It is in fact the change that was asked for, in just making the enrage timer longer.

No issues there.

Airwolfe
06.24.2013 , 10:24 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Mefistofles View Post
"ENRAGE TIMER is impossible with our current gear (full Underworld)." - <Death and Taxes>
Enkay - 55 Juggernaut, GM

http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...76&postcount=1

http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...7&postcount=50

http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...7&postcount=56

http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...3&postcount=78
DNT streamer saying "mathematically impossible" who basically trolled everyone who stated otherwise.

So ya I misquoted a bit.
I think the thread linked above is the reason why this fight was nerfed (unnecessarily), thus the call out.
An 86 page thread like that had to have garnered Dev attention, and perhaps it was read as tons of people agreeing 'yes, it needs a nerf' where I think the majority of that thread was people saying 'no, it does not.'
This nerf is a mistake - we have Seven(or more?) 8 person kills and Three 16 person kills on Dread Guards and it's not been that long, this is the 2nd lock set. I hope it's reversed.
Airwolfe - Marauder <Chosen>

namesaretough
06.24.2013 , 10:39 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Airwolfe View Post
I think the thread linked above is the reason why this fight was nerfed (unnecessarily), thus the call out.
An 86 page thread like that had to have garnered Dev attention, and perhaps it was read as tons of people agreeing 'yes, it needs a nerf' where I think the majority of that thread was people saying 'no, it does not.'
It's likely the devs saw the number of people attempting it, and decided that they wanted more people to be able to clear it than the percent that are currently able. I want all the fights to be super difficult as much as the next guy, but 8man was clearly tuned much harder than the rest of the instance, implying they intended it to be easier than it was.
Smugglin