Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Oil Slick

AwesumPossum
12.21.2011 , 02:46 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Zixus View Post
It is in the third tier.. perhaps you missread in some way ?

You are misstaken im afraid. Oil slick dont reduce dmg taken at all, it only lowers the targets accuracy. If you are unlucky the mobs can still hit every strike, thus neglecting the effect.

ya... well I posted this while looking at a previous build talent calculator at work... DERP! on my part haha!
Dooka (Scoundrel - The Twin Spears - Main) | Aki (Sniper - The Twin Spears)
Triumvirate Guild (PVP)
Twitter | My Stream

EzFlyer
12.21.2011 , 02:47 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Elicas View Post
Ummm. Oil Slick isn't a final talent.

Tier three 1 point.
this. the torguild.net one that is first ong oogle search is inaccurate.

i use:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301.1

AwesumPossum
12.21.2011 , 03:01 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by EzFlyer View Post
this. the torguild.net one that is first ong oogle search is inaccurate.

i use:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301.1
Ya that was the one I was looking at before i found out about torhead lol.
Dooka (Scoundrel - The Twin Spears - Main) | Aki (Sniper - The Twin Spears)
Triumvirate Guild (PVP)
Twitter | My Stream

EzFlyer
12.21.2011 , 03:23 PM | #14
i did same thing a couple days ago

Sykomyke
12.21.2011 , 03:58 PM | #15
When talking about Dmg reduction its generally referd to talents like Energy shield that gives a flat 20% reduced dmg taken.

Oil slick is not referd to as a dmg reduction talent. If the mob dont miss you will take full dmg during the duration of oil slick, thus all dmg taken. Secondly when the mob miss the dmg havent been reduced but completly avoided. Avoidance and dmg reduction are 2 seperate things.

You generally never talk about dmg reduction "on average"... if you do you will be missunderstod almost every time by players with past MMO experience in tanking.
I actually understood him perfectly.

Reducing accuracy=reducing the amount of damage you receive. What would you classify it as? It's not a damage talent. It's not a crowd control talent. It reduces accuracy. Accuracy is the first check in the path to damage mitigation.

Maths included below. I win.

Spoiler

Source: http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/...ing-guide.html

TLDR: Reducing an enemy's Accuracy is part of damage mitigation. /thread
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
Sith Empire

Wapner
12.21.2011 , 04:40 PM | #16
When talking about Dmg reduction its generally referd to talents like Energy shield that gives a flat 20% reduced dmg taken.

Oil slick is not referd to as a dmg reduction talent. If the mob dont miss you will take full dmg during the duration of oil slick, thus all dmg taken. Secondly when the mob miss the dmg havent been reduced but completly avoided. Avoidance and dmg reduction are 2 seperate things.

You generally never talk about dmg reduction "on average"... if you do you will be missunderstod almost every time by players with past MMO experience in tanking.
The OP seemed to understand it almost immediately...

Lowering the chance you have to be hit (whether that's a buff on you or debuff on your attacker) is a direct increase to effective health via reducing the incoming damage. I've never ran into anyone who misunderstood that concept. When I used to post on Elitist Jerks and Tankspot, average damage reduction based on cooldown abilities was not at all misunderstood...in fact it was worked into the forumlae to help more accurately calculate total effective health.

BTW, I'm not new to the MMO or tanking scene, as you seem to be implying. I've been extremely active in many tank theorycrafting communities for going on 8ish years now, and have been a tank nearly the entirety of my MMO experience.

blackhumbug
12.21.2011 , 11:03 PM | #17
remember we also get a bonus if over 100% accuracy, increased armor penetration or some such.

oil slick could effectively negate that sort of thing as well, at least in a pvp setting since i dont know if mobs have over 100% accuarcy (would be interesting if elite/boss mobs did).

so its more than just making the enemy miss 1 in 5 -on average-
whats inside?