Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Encrypted Datacube: Story content in the cartel market?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Andryah
06.19.2013 , 11:33 AM | #311
Quote: Originally Posted by Dokar View Post
There are many one off quests. Republic Roulette on Ord mantel, Meltdown on Coruscant., The Thousand Steps on Tython are 3 just from the top of my head.
There are. But that is not the norm, it's the exception in the hundred of hours of mission play in the game.

I accept that in some peoples minds.. they consider them worthless and don't do them, which is fine. But it does not change the context of my comments about missions.
The MMO player would do well to embrace the nature of reality: Everything is relative, a projection based upon a malleable set of universal laws. Reality is an elastic process in which our individual choices play an active role.

CommunityDroidEN
06.19.2013 , 11:41 AM | #312 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello everyone.

As you may have noticed, we have removed a significant number of posts from this thread, and we would like to remind everyone of the rules of conduct in the forums.
  • No insults, name calling, or personal attacks
  • Please stay on topic.
  • Please express your opinion and thoughts in a constructive, respectful manner.
  • If someone violates the Rules of Conduct, please flag it instead of replying to it.
  • Keep in mind that everyone has different viewpoints. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trolling. If you believe someone is trolling, please use the Flag function to report their post.
That being said, we ask that you please keep your posts civil, on topic and respectful otherwise we will have to close this thread.

Thank you.

Aries_cz
06.19.2013 , 11:59 AM | #313
I suggest we move away from the word "fluff", as it is difficult to arrive at common definition and we just throw back and forth what we think it means.
I suggest we start using the word "vanity". Now, vanity can be described easily - something that makes you look cool.
I think no one has problems with vanity items on CM (outside of absolute CM-hating crowd).
However, we will not be able to call Datacubes "vanity", because they reveal (and will reveal) somewhat important information, just like many conversations with companions (for example) do.
Therefore, they should not be on CM, as they are (for some) important story content, and not vanity
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos

SweetsPatogga
06.19.2013 , 12:34 PM | #314
I was personally okay with the datacube when the purpose was two fold that you A) Get a little bit of minor story background that fills in the blanks and B) Get a little bit of something useful to you, which was the credit boom.

Once the credit boom was removed I have more of a problem with it now because it just becomes pay for story content and that's it. As a level 55 player who does not PvP XP and Warzone boosts are of no use to me. If there were some other item that replaces the credit boom, even a vanity item, I would be more okay with it.

I do get what people are saying about the slippery slope principle however I also think (hope) that there will never be more significant story content on the cartel market beyond this sort of minor fill in the blank exposition.

Still, for me to really be okay with it I think I need some other benefit from those cubes beyond just story. An item, credits, a title, just something. I don't like the idea of paying for just story content and nothing else.

This is of course just my personal opinion and as always people are free to disagree. I'm not saying that Bioware or anyone else has to do what I say but rather just stating how I as an individual feel about this particular item, particularly in light of the removal of the credit boom.

Thank you.

Aries_cz
06.19.2013 , 01:08 PM | #315
I guess you could always sell that valor boost on GTN for some quick cash. IIRC, that one is not BoP
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos

Mike_Bluesky
06.19.2013 , 01:33 PM | #316
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
I suggest we move away from the word "fluff", as it is difficult to arrive at common definition and we just throw back and forth what we think it means.
I suggest we start using the word "vanity". Now, vanity can be described easily - something that makes you look cool.
I think no one has problems with vanity items on CM (outside of absolute CM-hating crowd).
However, we will not be able to call Datacubes "vanity", because they reveal (and will reveal) somewhat important information, just like many conversations with companions (for example) do.
Therefore, they should not be on CM, as they are (for some) important story content, and not vanity
I agree completely. Also "vanity" is more likely to be used by BW than "fluff".

Yellow answer! At last.. wait
The most scary thing I've read on SWTOR forum (see this for context)
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Lore is not playable content. It is fluff that you can admire and immerse yourself in for sure. Then again, so are the armor skins that are CM only.

jamesvasquez
06.19.2013 , 06:48 PM | #317
Great. We get a yellow answer. And it does nothing to address our concerns.
Fanboy for life!!!!!!

chuixupu
06.19.2013 , 08:39 PM | #318
Have you tried sending DamionSchubert a pm on the forums?
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

jamesvasquez
06.19.2013 , 11:24 PM | #319
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Have you tried sending DamionSchubert a pm on the forums?
I have not. Thank you for the suggestion.
Fanboy for life!!!!!!

jamesvasquez
06.20.2013 , 06:09 PM | #320
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
There are. But that is not the norm, it's the exception in the hundred of hours of mission play in the game.

I accept that in some peoples minds.. they consider them worthless and don't do them, which is fine. But it does not change the context of my comments about missions.
I wouldn't really call It the exception. For every faction quest in a quest line, there are at least 2 missions completely unrelated but in the same area. I would say the game is 50% questline and 50% stand alone quests.
Fanboy for life!!!!!!