Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Macros for pvp, respecing, grabbing huttballs. Legal?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Macros for pvp, respecing, grabbing huttballs. Legal?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

PoliteAssasin
06.17.2013 , 03:30 PM | #1
Hey guys I had a question, and hopefully a developer can chime in as well. There is a guild on my server, who shall go unnamed, that uses macros in warzones both regs and rateds in order to respec in literally 3-4 seconds, speed click the huttball on the pit, and other things. I was under the impression this wasnt in compliance with the TOS, but one of the members linked a message where he interpreted Bioware saying its ok for quality of life to mean he can do these things in pvp. Obviously this gives them huge advantages in warzones. Doesn't matter how many people you have at mid if one of them are there they will always grab the ball, and as I said, and did not exaggerate, they can switch between dps and heals, or tank and dps within a matter of 3-4 seconds while walking through a warzone.

So basically, is this against TOS or is it ok to do these things? One of the reasons we are hesitant to do rateds with them is because of the huge advantage this brings, and we don't want to do it as well to simply end up banned, just for the sake of being on equal footing. So please let me know, and if a Bioware employee could shed some light on it I would greatly appreciate it.
D E M A V E N D O B E R Y N

JustinxDuff
06.17.2013 , 03:33 PM | #2
Yes. macros like you explained are indeed against the ToS. Report those fools.
Bluntasaurus - Gunslinger - Ewoks Anonyous
Bluntskii - Sentinel - Ewoks Anonymous
Prophecy of the Five
Push the envelope, watch it bend

tootoofun
06.17.2013 , 03:33 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliteAssasin View Post
Hey guys I had a question, and hopefully a developer can chime in as well. There is a guild on my server, who shall go unnamed, that uses macros in warzones both regs and rateds in order to respec in literally 3-4 seconds, speed click the huttball on the pit, and other things. I was under the impression this wasnt in compliance with the TOS, but one of the members linked a message where he interpreted Bioware saying its ok for quality of life to mean he can do these things in pvp. Obviously this gives them huge advantages in warzones. Doesn't matter how many people you have at mid if one of them are there they will always grab the ball, and as I said, and did not exaggerate, they can switch between dps and heals, or tank and dps within a matter of 3-4 seconds while walking through a warzone.

So basically, is this against TOS or is it ok to do these things? One of the reasons we are hesitant to do rateds with them is because of the huge advantage this brings, and we don't want to do it as well to simply end up banned, just for the sake of being on equal footing. So please let me know, and if a Bioware employee could shed some light on it I would greatly appreciate it.
according to the people running the game those things don't exist (the game's programmed to well....HA!)
"Reality or rather, a certain nasty aspect of it spits on your shoes and flips you off and lumbers away like a fat bully after stomping all over your cool sand castle at the beach."

Maelael
06.17.2013 , 03:40 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by JustinxDuff View Post

This would gut a substantial amount of opponents who do something other than faceroll. With how often they're reported (for legit and non legit reasons), I'm surprised unsaid guild is still around.

I know exactly which guild hes talking about on our server - it's fairly obvious and unsaid faction is well known for abusing exploits, macroing, and hacking, even in pre-55 queues. The more passive of us consider it a "Oh, its them again. Ah well, medal farm time!"

PoliteAssasin
06.17.2013 , 03:41 PM | #5
Well they do exist, in fact one of the members even streamed it several times. (Won't give the stream name). He's under the impression it is legal, as are the others. What I find to be sad is these players also talk a lot of trash, and when we found out they used programs a lot of their credibility went out the window, more so now that you guys are saying its against the TOS.
D E M A V E N D O B E R Y N

ToMyMa
06.17.2013 , 03:46 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JustinxDuff View Post
Aww yeah, let's ice these fools!

What server are you on, again?
Name's Inferious, though you may know me as Tanvir...

Also, here's my referral, which will grant you a free server transfer and 7 days of playtime and more!

Astarica
06.17.2013 , 03:47 PM | #7
The TOS is always a rather hazy area, though. SWTOR had some promotion with programmable mouse and it seems to me the macros described here is only a step up from what you can from a programmable mouse. Even if they attempt to try to classify what macros are okay and what macros are not, it'd end up looking like 'cheating is bad unless you used the cheats from the guys we have a deal with', so that's probably why they won't do anything about it.

tootoofun
06.17.2013 , 03:53 PM | #8
Well they do exist, in fact one of the members even streamed it several times. (Won't give the stream name). He's under the impression it is legal, as are the others. What I find to be sad is these players also talk a lot of trash, and when we found out they used programs a lot of their credibility went out the window, more so now that you guys are saying its against the TOS.
just need to do a google search to get the names of the macro / exploits
"Reality or rather, a certain nasty aspect of it spits on your shoes and flips you off and lumbers away like a fat bully after stomping all over your cool sand castle at the beach."

MiaRB
06.17.2013 , 03:56 PM | #9
cheaters always claim their cheating is legal. make sure to report them.
can't wait for this game to come out!

Ybini
06.17.2013 , 03:57 PM | #10
A lot of mmo based keyboards have macro ability that would be difficult to detect and prevent as well as vendors getting into the fray about having banned hardware. I can see respec macros being handy though, I think they could make a respec feature. It'd be nicer if they let you assign respec templates to a name and let you respec and pick a dropdown for the template name to toggle between them without the whole give yourself carpel tunnel procedure. Definately an advantage to a person with the proper hardware, and against the TOS but hard to prove and so hard to enforce, which is largely why I think macroing is ignored unless it generates credits.