Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Physical Security Key Battery Life

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Physical Security Key Battery Life

Sergio_Vamos
12.21.2011 , 08:37 PM | #1
How long do their batteries last? What happens when the battery dies and how do I log in to my account then?

Vortimous
12.21.2011 , 08:45 PM | #2
I am also very concerned about this... I cant believe I used this thing... I wish i could go back and not have activated it. Now if I lose it (already had three year old take it and had to find it), or if the battery dies, or it stops working, you cant log in. That is the dumbest thing I have seen. They should give you the option to log in with it, or if you dont have it, then answer three of your security questions as an alternative. I went to post something on the forums last night from work using my phone and I had to have the code... I didnt have the security key with me since I was at work, so I couldnt even post on the forums at work. I use to be able too when it was just user and password... even sometimes I would have to answer security question, but at least I could log on... I hope they address these concerns soon. I fear each day I log on that I push that button and nothing shows up. They say to call CS, but from what I hear, you cant get threw at all... Does anyone know if they are working on an alternative to this... and app for your android phone would help, but I heard you cant have both so if you have the key, you have to use that... I hope this thing lasts a long time... for those that have not registered theirs yet, think twice about it....
Vortimous

Darth Banon Server

TheCheatz
12.21.2011 , 08:50 PM | #3
Most security tokens like this should have batteries that will last you many, many years. Much longer than you may be playing this game, potentially.

RandyTheSalo
10.29.2012 , 10:06 AM | #4
You can have the key removed as well. You just need to call the hotline, which is free. Press a set sequence of digits to actually talk to a living beeing, then tell them and they should remove it after asking you some of your questions. It worked for me because i wanted to change from the mobile phone one to the physical thing. But it works for completely removing it too.

Celise
10.29.2012 , 10:49 AM | #5
if this battery is one of those small silvery looking coins with a small circular groove on it's outer base?(button cells), those things can last along time depending how much power is used up, you can buy these things from a diy shop or amazon for a pound maybe two. assuming swtor lasts that long of course.

amaresch
10.29.2012 , 12:17 PM | #6
They should last many years; but yes still a legitimate concern. You'll need to call CS if that happens to unlock access to your account based on login ID and security questions. I had the Android security app, and my phone bricked- calling CS was the only way to get in the game again.

Sippix
10.29.2012 , 02:05 PM | #7
The company that makes the security keys for TOR also makes them for WoW. I got my WoW security key at the beginning of The Lich King expansion, and it's still working to this day - The screen isn't even dimming. So, that has been what, about 3 years now?

Also, for the user that was complaining about not being able to log in from work because they didn't have their security key - You should keep it on you at all times. You're not allowed to share you account, so there should be no reason not to have it on your keyring 24/7.
Malkiv Mayhem
Powertech Vanguard
Slinger Shadow

Youtube | Enjin | Twitch

DanFe
10.29.2012 , 02:37 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Sippix View Post
The company that makes the security keys for TOR also makes them for WoW. I got my WoW security key at the beginning of The Lich King expansion, and it's still working to this day - The screen isn't even dimming. So, that has been what, about 3 years now?

Also, for the user that was complaining about not being able to log in from work because they didn't have their security key - You should keep it on you at all times. You're not allowed to share you account, so there should be no reason not to have it on your keyring 24/7.
Yeah, put it on a chain and wear it around your neck.

Valethar
10.29.2012 , 03:17 PM | #9
Those keys will last several years, even with frequent use on a daily basis.

If it SHOULD die, it's easily replaceable by ordering a new one directly from the website here, for around $5 US, plus any applicable shipping/taxes. You could probably even crack it open (at your own risk) and replace the battery yourself if you've a mind to.

The one I bought several years ago for my Battle.net account still works fine. LCD's don't use much power to begin with, and the key probably only draws power when the button is pressed and it has to generate a code.
"Due to the massive loss of subscribers in our flagship title, we decided to cancel Blizzcon this year, because frankly, we don't think there's anyone left who would show up."

Telanis
10.29.2012 , 04:22 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Vortimous View Post
Now if I lose it (already had three year old take it and had to find it), or if the battery dies, or it stops working, you cant log in.
No, you just stop being ridiculous and call CS, who will help you access your account until you get a replacement key.