Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Transfers, 11 Months Later...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Transfers, 11 Months Later...
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jandi
06.07.2013 , 02:08 PM | #361
Just another mismanagement on their part to add to the pile. I'll be real clear and stuff since people seem to have a problem grasping the issue.

They hype and fanfare the Legacy system that makes your characters better if you play every class story and heavily encourage you to play as many characters to max as you have time to. Resulting in people making many characters. Those who stuck around after the absence of content at launch did so MAINLY to either PvP or play Alts. Those that played alts from February till summer ended up with many characters.

The game goes to poodoo and they merge servers, TWICE, without giving us an option to choose where we want to go and just lump all PvP server players into the same server on the EU side which has the WORST community possible.

Then they keep telling that transfers are coming, don't worry!

Then they tell us to pay a fee PER character if you want to solve THEIR mistakes in handling the mergers? If they hadn't made such a huge deal about playing multiple characters, I wouldn't mind but the way they encouraged you to make alts and then asking you money for it is just a dick move all around. I guess this is how they "value their subscribers" eh?

Ultramecha
06.07.2013 , 02:31 PM | #362
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
Just another mismanagement on their part to add to the pile. I'll be real clear and stuff since people seem to have a problem grasping the issue.

They hype and fanfare the Legacy system that makes your characters better if you play every class story and heavily encourage you to play as many characters to max as you have time to. Resulting in people making many characters. Those who stuck around after the absence of content at launch did so MAINLY to either PvP or play Alts. Those that played alts from February till summer ended up with many characters.

The game goes to poodoo and they merge servers, TWICE, without giving us an option to choose where we want to go and just lump all PvP server players into the same server on the EU side which has the WORST community possible.

Then they tell us to pay a fee PER character if you want to solve THEIR mistakes in handling the mergers? If they hadn't made such a huge deal about playing multiple characters, I wouldn't mind but the way they encouraged you to make alts and then asking you money for it is just a dick move all around. I guess this is how they "value their subscribers" eh?
Your complaint is invalid, many people including myself think mergers were done right. Plus majority of mmos charge way more for server transfers. Save your cartel coins up if you don't want to pay extra...

curtkram
06.07.2013 , 02:43 PM | #363
Quote: Originally Posted by Ultramecha View Post
Your complaint is invalid, many people including myself think mergers were done right. Plus majority of mmos charge way more for server transfers. Save your cartel coins up if you don't want to pay extra...
your complaint about his complaint is invalid.

of course there is nothing wrong with you thinking mergers were handled well (that's an opinion), or that mmos charge fees (that one is not actually an opinion), or that you want other people to save cartel coins (this is really just telling other people what to do). where you went wrong is assuming that just because you're clever enough to hold an opinion, others must not be able to. as a matter of fact, other people can hold opinions. for example my opinion is that mergers were not handled well. i also hold the opinion that i don't want to save cartel coins for several months to transfer a single character, knowing that i will have to forgo new content since new content tends to be released through the cartel market.

just because we came to different conclusion with regard to our opinions does not mean one opinion or the other is invalid. glad i could help.

Jandi
06.07.2013 , 02:44 PM | #364
Quote: Originally Posted by Ultramecha View Post
The game hasn't been F2P long enough to rack up enough CC to account for transferring even my 50+ characters, not even close lol. Or, do you suggest I stay subbed for another year on a crappy non-English speaking English server? Yeah, no.

EricMusco
06.07.2013 , 03:18 PM | #365 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
I got answers to two of the questions that I saw a bit about:

Can you transfer across server type, such as PvP to PvE?
Yes you can!

Can you transfer across region, like EU to NA?
As of the current plan, no. However, I want to state that this is absolutely something we want to do and as you saw with APAC it isn't a tech limitation. There are some other restrictions we are working through and we hope to have the ability to transfer across region moving forward. I will give you updates on this as I have it.

Hope that clears things up.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

stephenalandavie
06.07.2013 , 03:24 PM | #366
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post

I put it to you good sir that this is a tissue of lies!! ,

In all seriousness though Bioware are making one mistake after another with numerous things.
Cersei Operative 60 Opness Scoundrel 60
Quabiedney Juggernaut 60 Capt-corelli Guardian 60
Martyn PT tank 60 TouchMyBehind Marauder 60
Big In Japan

curtkram
06.07.2013 , 03:30 PM | #367
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I got answers <snipped>
did you get a chance to see the concerns of inflated transfer costs due to legacy? legacy of course means that any given account on any given server is likely to have a number of characters, and to transfer to a new server implies all toons will be transferring.

i can only speak for myself, but it seems to me there is still the possibility you may have overlooked this aspect and you may be offering transfers of entire legacies instead of only one toon at a time. that, of course, is somewhat wishful thinking on my part, but if you wanted to clarify Bioware's design intent i would appreciate it. thanks.

yeldarbnotned
06.07.2013 , 03:36 PM | #368
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I got answers to two of the questions that I saw a bit about:

Can you transfer across server type, such as PvP to PvE?
Yes you can!

Can you transfer across region, like EU to NA?
As of the current plan, no. However, I want to state that this is absolutely something we want to do and as you saw with APAC it isn't a tech limitation. There are some other restrictions we are working through and we hope to have the ability to transfer across region moving forward. I will give you updates on this as I have it.

Hope that clears things up.

-eric
Aww shucks (about the region), But thanks for answering.

Kupo
06.07.2013 , 03:37 PM | #369
1800 coins per character? Seriously? I have 5 toons to transfer! Is there there any kind of bulk rate, or discounts for subscribers?

Mallorik
06.07.2013 , 04:17 PM | #370
Quote: Originally Posted by Kupo View Post
1800 coins per character? Seriously? I have 5 toons to transfer! Is there there any kind of bulk rate, or discounts for subscribers?
They seriously need to think about this, anyone who has been loyal customers despite the state of this game since release have quite a few alts and bioware has encouraged making alts. Paying 80 bucks to transfer 7 characters is insane and I don't see how they benefit from gouging loyal customers who would otherwise keep playing their game and paying them money to do so.

Its just common sense which I know is extremely rare on this board and with mmo devs. Broke people or people who quit your game will not buy your crap on the cartel market, keep people happy with the game experience and not feeling screwed over and you will get their money.

Does anyone really think they will make more money from gouging people for server transfers than they would from keeping their customers happy and playing on servers they like?