Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[To DamionSchubert] The state of PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[To DamionSchubert] The state of PvP

Winguardian
06.07.2013 , 10:50 AM | #1
Dear mr. Schubert,

I've spent several months ingame already since launch (playtime) and it really pains me to see what is happening to the PvP community at the moment. At a stage in SWTOR where there's returning players with RoTHC, I feel BW as a company is doing little to retain it's PvP playerbase.

My disappointment with the lack of PvP updates is twofold, firstly we were always being teased by the fact new PvP content was in development and that we could expect a PvP update soon after 2.0. With the current roadmap for SWTOR, there is only a vague notion of a PvP update coming in 2.4 (which should be launching somewhere in October). Come to find out later that development on new PvP features has only just now begun taking place (which disappointed me a great deal), and hearing that the team working on these updates is severely lacking in scope and budget. If features like cross server queuing, which have been requested by the community for over a year - and was hinted at at the start of pre-season 1 - are not able to be obtained by the team working on the updates, I fear the investment on BW's part just isn't there.

Secondly I feel it is wrong to leave the community hanging on what exactly is going to be worked on PvP-wise for 2.4, cause quite frankly it is severely disappointing to hear that not only is it going to take another 4 months of development time, but the fact that you are not communicating on the features you are planning on working on is quite discomforting to hear. Because that means, indirectly, if you start working on features YOU, as a game developer feel the game needs, might be different than what the community wants. In the sense that if you don't give us the planned features you're working on, ahead of time, we can't give you feedback (as in, the PvP community) in order to give more insight and help improve the systems/content that will be worked on.

In short, if you involve the community more in the development process (in a controlled and well implemented manner) I feel you will put the community at ease on one hand, but also give the PvP community something tangible to dangle in front of us. Because right now a lot of good players are leaving the game because they feel like they are not part of the SWTOR community as a whole, because they have yet to receive an update to their much loved game, in the form of content and additional systems (season 1 PvP, tournaments, etc. etc.) in almost a year.

I know the development team has taken a beating with the layoff's, but if I look at GW2, which came out AFTER SWTOR’s launch, and it's features (and the pace at which they are released), and how transparent and open they are about it, I just feel BW is missing out on a lot of potential to compete with other MMO's in this regard, and SWTOR will fall to the wayside in the end. Maybe the cost of the IP is not worth it in the end for EA to invest more into the game I love.

I am writing this to you because I care about this game, and I want it to thrive, but I fear the lack of resources and development team that is still left behind SWTOR, are far from sufficient to give the game it's much needed push to be successful in the end.

Kind regards,
A saddened player

TL;DR: We need more transparency on what is coming for PvP (in order for the community to give it's feedback), and I hope the budget is still there to make SWTOR successful.

psycowhisp
06.07.2013 , 11:27 AM | #2
BUMP this is spot on
AmorDeus
<Hostile Takeover>
PoT5

Siphorus
06.07.2013 , 12:31 PM | #3
Anyone else ready for preseason 2 yahoooooo
Deft - The bastion

Pistols
06.07.2013 , 12:40 PM | #4
Well said Wing, glad to see you again mang. <3

dhowl
06.07.2013 , 12:57 PM | #5
/totally signed

DarthOvertone
06.07.2013 , 01:01 PM | #6
/putsontinfoilhat

I am certain of two things regarding the future of SWTOR PvP. Firstly, whatever they release in 2.4 will be very good for casuals and PvErs, mainly because that's the bulk of the population remaining in this game, and everything they have done recently for "PvPers" has actually been a bigger boon for the PvE crowd (Gree Event Ilum/Bolster) in every way. The PvP crowd may/may not like what comes down the pipe, but since our numbers have diminished so significantly over the past year, it doesn't really matter anymore, especially to BW.

Secondly, whatever BW does introduce and implement for PvP will be either broken, bugged or easily exploitable. Sorry, but there hasn't been a major PvP content update that I can think of that didn't contain gamebreaking bugs or exploits. The quality control for PvP never improved, despite the promises of Jeff Hickman last year that they would.

Point being, not only is the current state of PvP bad, but the future isn't bright either.

/removestinfoilhat
War Hero Alphabolt - Garbage S1-Champion Van | The Bastion
Conqueror Alphazen - Shadow | Battlemaster Alphabain - Scoundrel | War Hero Alphanoob - PT
Jung Ma | Conqueror Alphabond - Sniper | Conqueror Alphamaul - Marauder | Champion Alphafett - Mercenary
I See Your Schwartz Is As Big As Mine!

Capote
06.07.2013 , 01:15 PM | #7
/Signed

Great post OP.

Andar
06.07.2013 , 01:16 PM | #8
Winguardian for PoF president!
Resilience / Po5
Hostile Takeover

brutall
06.07.2013 , 01:29 PM | #9