Server Transfers, 11 Months Later...

Icebergy

I'm gonna guess if the name change is 1000cc, the character transfer will likely be a LOT more.

Also, I wonder how legacy unlocks will work with character transfers? If you bring over your character to a new server, will all your legacy and character unlocks retain?

I'm planning on moving characters from the lower Legacy to the higher one...if we have that choice, of course.

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is absolutely still our plan to have character transfers hit in 2.2. The Summer plan was specifically our content plan, so it didn't seem like a good place to mention a convenience feature like transfers. Don't worry, nothing changed, I will tell you if anything does!

-eric

Eric with the free APAC transfers will users be able to transfer to East US servers if they wish?

I have a mate that's been wanting me to play on his server for a long time.

The Correct phrasing is "Champing at the bit"

"One definition of bit is a metal mouthpiece used for controlling a horse, and one definition of champ is to bite or chew noisily. These are the senses meant in the idiom champing at the bit, which refers to the tendency of some horses to chew on the bit when impatient or eager. In its figurative sense, it means to show impatience while delayed, or just to be eager to start.

The idiom is usually written chomping at the bit, and some people consider this spelling wrong. But chomp can also mean to bite or chew noisily (though chomped things are often eaten, while champed things are not), so chomp at the bit means roughly the same as champ at the bit.

In fact, chomp, which began as a variant of champ, is alive in English while the biting-related sense of champ is dead outside this idiom, so it’s no wonder that chomping at the bit is about 20 times as common as champing at the bit on the web. Champing at the bit can sound funny to people who aren’t familiar with the idiom or the obsolete sense of champ, while most English speakers can infer the meaning of chomping at the bit.

Still, if you’re writing for school or for readers who are versed in English, champing at the bit is probably the safer choice."

from the Grammar Police on the Internet...

Edited by mpdugas

Relax...they've already said that 2.2 will be a content patch. People have been crying over paid transfers for months and now that they are finally getting them, you're giving BW a hard time about adding the transfers? Some of you people are unbelievable, lol.

Thank goodness we all aren't though, so there IS hope!

Edited by mpdugas

I would like to know if our legacy moves with a character or if it stays on the origin server. Or if you have some sort of "legacy transfer" planned. Or if you have a shred of decency about YOUR mess with the servers to allow one free transfer.

I'm not on an APAC server but I did roll on an ENGLISH speaking server and ToFN is most certainly not English speaking. But I guess BW doesn't care and will just expect us to fork out 25x12e as a thank you for paying and playing the game since launch eh?

It's good news that character transfers are finally close. I know the plan is 2.2 but it might be a little later. I know you can't comment on the exact date.

That being said, please comment on the prices. Surely that has been decided.

Price per character, per server, per account?

More importantly, can we use cartel coins? I've been saving all of my coins. If cartel coins will not be allowed, I'd like to know that now.

Also, if coins are not allowed, I would like a reason.

Also, will transfers be allowed across server types. PVE -> PVP, PVP -> PVE, etc.

Since we are just waiting for the code bugs to be worked out, throw us a bone with some info.

Thanks.

After playing another unmentionable MMO for the last 6.5 years, I can say I've spent that $25 on more than one occasion and not thought twice about it. It was nothing more than a convenience fee, and I was glad to spend it to improve my gameplay. I know the fee should be real money and not just a coin sink for the cartel. People who are SERIOUS about transferring would pay to do so, while others who just want the convenience of a "free" transfer (that's basically what the cartel coins are) should not get that wish. I don't care how much they charge, as long as they charge. The fee will also act as a deterrent for people who get bored and just want to server hop.

After playing another unmentionable MMO for the last 6.5 years, I can say I've spent that $25 on more than one occasion and not thought twice about it. It was nothing more than a convenience fee, and I was glad to spend it to improve my gameplay. I know the fee should be real money and not just a coin sink for the cartel. People who are SERIOUS about transferring would pay to do so, while others who just want the convenience of a "free" transfer (that's basically what the cartel coins are) should not get that wish. I don't care how much they charge, as long as they charge. The fee will also act as a deterrent for people who get bored and just want to server hop.

I disagree with this. CCs are money. People pay money for them. Some do it directly, others though the monthly fee. You could argue that the stipend is free, but it isn't. They (the moderators) have already stated that new features that are not free for paid players are done so because we can use our stipend of CCs to get them. So instead of giving us free new content, they give us paid content and CCs to offset it. So the CCs do equal real money for everyone.

I also don't think server hopping should be considered a problem, since other MMO's can allow it. That being said, I do not have a problem with limiting the transfers. For example, anyone with existing characters can transfer them 1 time for CCs, after that it is cash only. Any new player would be forced to use cash.

I think that this solution would solve both of our problems. People would not have "free" transfers more than once. The people that have been trapped on servers they don't want to be on, get to get off for "free".

My characters are scattered since everyone I have played with has quit (except for my most recent server). I never wanted to move my characters, but I want to play with friends. Charging me real money will not work. I won't pay it. I'll leave the characters stranded and unplayed. Eventually, I'll just quit the game anyway.

I disagree with this. CCs are money. People pay money for them. Some do it directly, others though the monthly fee. You could argue that the stipend is free, but it isn't. They (the moderators) have already stated that new features that are not free for paid players are done so because we can use our stipend of CCs to get them. So instead of giving us free new content, they give us paid content and CCs to offset it. So the CCs do equal real money for everyone.

I also don't think server hopping should be considered a problem, since other MMO's can allow it. That being said, I do not have a problem with limiting the transfers. For example, anyone with existing characters can transfer them 1 time for CCs, after that it is cash only. Any new player would be forced to use cash.

I think that this solution would solve both of our problems. People would not have "free" transfers more than once. The people that have been trapped on servers they don't want to be on, get to get off for "free".

My characters are scattered since everyone I have played with has quit (except for my most recent server). I never wanted to move my characters, but I want to play with friends. Charging me real money will not work. I won't pay it. I'll leave the characters stranded and unplayed. Eventually, I'll just quit the game anyway.

I understand the need for transfers from low pop servers. Those, by default, should be free. Or, the realms should just be merged together and shut down the remaining. Let them collect dust until subs increase and then fire them back up for new characters. But for the whimsical need to just hop, there should be some sort of fee.

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

I know there have been quite a few questions around paid character transfers so I spent some time rounding up the answers to the more heavily asked ones and here they are! If there are any that I missed please feel free to post them in this thread and I will see what I can find out.

How much do transfers cost?

Paid character transfers cost 1800 Cartel Coins per character. The purchase must be made using Cartel Coins.

How do I transfer a character?

Once the service is live in 2.2, you will be able to go to your account page here on swtor.com and transfer from there.

What happens if there is a name collision?

If your character name is already taken by another player on your new server, you will need to rename your character. Your character will be “flagged” for a rename once you login.

Will my Legacy, Achievements, and Collections all transfer with my character?

Yes! All of your Legacy unlocks, Achievements earned, and triggered Collections will be waiting for you.

What happens if I have a Legacy on both my source and destination servers?

Whichever Legacy is of a higher level will take precedence and become your new Legacy. This has no affect on unlocks, the unlocks from both Legacies will combine. For example: You are transferring a character from the Bastion to the Harbinger. The character you are transferring from the Bastion is in a level 27 Legacy. Currently on Harbinger you have a level 13 Legacy. After the transfer you will now have a level 27 Legacy on Harbinger which combines the unlocks from both servers.

Is there a way to transfer a guild?

There is currently no method in place to transfer an entire guild at one time. Each person must transfer their characters individually and recreate their guild on the new server.

I hope that clears some things up! Let me know if there are any major questions still pending that I missed.

-eric

I gotta admit, this cost isnt that bad. Its about 20 bucks for one character, or 13.33 each for 3 buying the large cartel pack.

Not bad at all. Well done. Now you folks at Bioware, get ready to start printing money faster then Ben Bernanke is...

Edited by islander

Cheaper than a lot of other games...and if you aren't a CC spender, you can get away even cheaper.

I kind of was hoping they'd have a full Legacy transfer option, though. Might be something worth looking into for the future, for say, those you have 12 full character slots that they want to move.

I kind of was hoping they'd have a full Legacy transfer option, though. Might be something worth looking into for the future, for say, those you have 12 full character slots that they want to move.

Me too, I have a 16 man legacy on the dying Jung Ma.

Cheaper than a lot of other games...and if you aren't a CC spender, you can get away even cheaper.

That's a great idea, and I'd be willing to bet that there's a large number of people who would spend $50-60 to move an entire legacy in one fell swoop.

Lemme guess how this works Eric,

1.) You will need a "Transfer Certificate" to transfer from your server to another.

2.) Transfer Certificates are available from a new kind of gambling pack

3.) The Transfer Certificate will be for a random destination server

4.) The Transfer Certificate will be an ultra rare drop

5.) You have to have Ultimate Hero status with the Cartel Market to use the Transfer Certificate

6.) Transfer Certificates are Single Use, Bind on Pickup

Did I get that right?

Congratulations! All the things you predicted are true.

While just that many cartel coins for a single toon may not be too bad, since it has taken so long to implement I now have nearly a dozen characters on a server that is on the other coast. (Didn't bother putting new ones on a now closer server because "Soon" may never of happened)

Since legacy is only server wide just moving some would be cutting my legacy in half an idea that seem unfathomable to me.

So my question is for 2x or 3x the price are we gonna be seeing full legacy, server to server transfers at any point?

Because nearly 2k cartel coins times nearly 12, is a hell of a lot. too much in fact.

Or at the very least are these going to be items at some point that can be bought off the gtn?

Hey folks,

I know there have been quite a few questions around paid character transfers so I spent some time rounding up the answers to the more heavily asked ones and here they are! If there are any that I missed please feel free to post them in this thread and I will see what I can find out.

How much do transfers cost?

Paid character transfers cost 1800 Cartel Coins per character. The purchase must be made using Cartel Coins.

How do I transfer a character?

Once the service is live in 2.2, you will be able to go to your account page here on swtor.com and transfer from there.

What happens if there is a name collision?

If your character name is already taken by another player on your new server, you will need to rename your character. Your character will be “flagged” for a rename once you login.

Will my Legacy, Achievements, and Collections all transfer with my character?

Yes! All of your Legacy unlocks, Achievements earned, and triggered Collections will be waiting for you.

What happens if I have a Legacy on both my source and destination servers?

Whichever Legacy is of a higher level will take precedence and become your new Legacy. This has no affect on unlocks, the unlocks from both Legacies will combine. For example: You are transferring a character from the Bastion to the Harbinger. The character you are transferring from the Bastion is in a level 27 Legacy. Currently on Harbinger you have a level 13 Legacy. After the transfer you will now have a level 27 Legacy on Harbinger which combines the unlocks from both servers.

Is there a way to transfer a guild?

There is currently no method in place to transfer an entire guild at one time. Each person must transfer their characters individually and recreate their guild on the new server.

I hope that clears some things up! Let me know if there are any major questions still pending that I missed.

-eric

Will there

Edited by LetoAtreidesII