Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hybrid Tax?

Juumanistra
12.21.2011 , 09:30 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Oneeach View Post
This. Every AC is a hybrid. How you spend your points determins how much tax you pay.
Since every AC is a hybrid, Sentinels/Marauders and Gunslingers/Snipers would like to know where to go to get their tanking or healing specs. And why no one has told them that they have such things.

Kopiusz
12.21.2011 , 09:40 AM | #12
"In theory" there is no tax, but some specs are subpar at the moment - most notably Guardian dps specs. Do note, however, that both Sentinels/Marauders and Gunslingers/Snipers have access to powerful group cooldowns:
http://www.torhead.com/ability/c9IGKAi
http://www.torhead.com/ability/4tNoy3F
Personally I would be worried about hybrid dps specs since stacking Sentinels seems like a good idea.

Goibhnie
12.21.2011 , 09:44 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Juumanistra View Post
Since every AC is a hybrid, Sentinels/Marauders and Gunslingers/Snipers would like to know where to go to get their tanking or healing specs. And why no one has told them that they have such things.
Depending on how you look at it, if they spec into different trees their main tree functionality is decreased. Say your main tree sharpshooter is single target while Sab is AOE you aren't going to perform your best DPS on single target if you put points into the sab tree. Just because it isn't tanking or dps or healing you are specing into you have different types of dps that'll decrease your main tree efficiency, or 'tax you' if that is the going lingo.

Now going hybrid may work well for solo, but in group and as you level you'll likely see decrease in utility for keeping hybridized - at least that was the going theory in beta as people were leveling in the 30s

Bollah
12.21.2011 , 09:45 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Whatsalightsaver View Post
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew of a hybrid tax on dps. I played a rogue in wow for 6 years so I naturally gravitated towards the jedi shadow.
Scoundrel scrappers/ Imperial Agent Operatives play more like WoW rogues, in case you wanted to play that style.

Juumanistra
12.21.2011 , 10:22 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Goibhnie View Post
Depending on how you look at it, if they spec into different trees their main tree functionality is decreased. Say your main tree sharpshooter is single target while Sab is AOE you aren't going to perform your best DPS on single target if you put points into the sab tree. Just because it isn't tanking or dps or healing you are specing into you have different types of dps that'll decrease your main tree efficiency, or 'tax you' if that is the going lingo.

Now going hybrid may work well for solo, but in group and as you level you'll likely see decrease in utility for keeping hybridized - at least that was the going theory in beta as people were leveling in the 30s
In these discussions, "hybrid" has always referred to being able to do more than one of the three roles that define the modern MMO experience. While it is eminently possible for someone in a pure DPS class to spec poorly and have some kind of freaky 20/13/8 build, that's irrelevant to the issue of hybrids and whether they pay a tax for their utility.

All of that said, I was just being facetious. Because Sentinels/Marauders and Gunslingers/Snipers are emphatically not hybrids, contra the poster I quoted.

Noollig
12.21.2011 , 10:30 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Crouthy View Post
Hybrid Tax is "because you can do more than one role, you're never the strongest at both"

Basically, which since you didnt play WoW and to put in a TOR term, its like saying

is my dps gimped because i can also play a healing spec and vice versa ofc
Paladins seemed like they could top the charts in every role from what I remember. In fact I ran a whole raid with nothing but paladins and one priest. Only some classes got screwed with this "hybrid tax".

I hope swtor can keep things a little more even.

Whatsalightsaver
12.21.2011 , 05:02 PM | #17
So I guess the general consensus is that there is no tax, which is great cause now I don't have to reroll. Thanks guys!

Froteus
12.21.2011 , 06:40 PM | #18
It does seem a bit odd to some that since the hybrids have base heals or tank cooldowns or whatnot that they will have better utility in a group setting or even solo.

However, the pures don't just not get other abilities to replace heals or tank type stuff, they should be gettin more dps options or niche abilities.

Just like a dps commando, smuggler, or sage can toss a heal or two in a clutch situation, or a dps guardian, vanguard or shadow can off tank a bit to save the day, a pure should have some situational abilities that can save the party from a wipe as well.

Whether that is true in this game remains to be seen.