Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Addons/Additions we NEED

Zorke
12.21.2011 , 06:21 PM | #21
You failed to explain -why- you don't like them. If you are at the top, just moments before your death, you are wrong. If you are at the top while still executing all of your other role responsibilities correctly, you are doing it right.

More importantly though, I want them not for payer comparison, but rather for my own personal comparisons of different dps rotations to see what is optimal for my character. I just find it hard to believe that assassins are viable dps just by spamming maul, which is what most people are saying.

aapanic
12.21.2011 , 06:36 PM | #22
I agree, damage meters are pretty much required. Why wouldn't you want to do the most dps possible? I enjoy the game more when I know i'm performing at my best. I don't care if you can only see your own dps, just make them available.

Destineylegend
12.21.2011 , 06:36 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Zorke View Post
You failed to explain -why- you don't like them. If you are at the top, just moments before your death, you are wrong. If you are at the top while still executing all of your other role responsibilities correctly, you are doing it right.

More importantly though, I want them not for payer comparison, but rather for my own personal comparisons of different dps rotations to see what is optimal for my character. I just find it hard to believe that assassins are viable dps just by spamming maul, which is what most people are saying.
I don't like them because of how some people use them to yell at others and put them down, it's a little upsetting, and in a raid that makes it bad for moral. To answer the other question, I'm at the top without dying and doing my role correctly, I don't tend to make a mistake in a raid or a dungeon, unless some obnoxious roommates of mine decide to barge in and talking to me, that is the only time I make mistakes, because I get distracted, but if you want it just for your personal usage and not use it to yell at others or chew them out, then I'm ok with that reasoning, I just don't like elitists and their nature of using the damage meter.
"Trash gets treated like trash!"-Ulquiorra Schiffer in response to the Jedi Order

Zorke
12.21.2011 , 06:40 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Destineylegend View Post
I don't like them because of how some people use them to yell at others and put them down, it's a little upsetting, and in a raid that makes it bad for moral. To answer the other question, I'm at the top without dying and doing my role correctly, I don't tend to make a mistake in a raid or a dungeon, unless some obnoxious roommates of mine decide to barge in and talking to me, that is the only time I make mistakes, because I get distracted, but if you want it just for your personal usage and not use it to yell at others or chew them out, then I'm ok with that reasoning, I just don't like elitists and their nature of using the damage meter.
Blame the player not the meter. I'm usually "good guy greg" when it comes to damage meters. When I see someone under performing, I can usually pinpoint it and tell them a few things they can do to improve.

If I get a response along the lines of "I don't need to do better I'm just playing the game the way I want to play it," then to all their own, I don't want to play difficult content with people who are not even going to try.

As you can see by these forums, there are ALREADY elitists without meters, as there always will be.

Jurugar
12.21.2011 , 06:46 PM | #25
Macros pls, among other things.

Zorke
12.21.2011 , 06:52 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Jurugar View Post
Macros pls, among other things.
Oh god yes. Wow, I didn't even bother to try and make macros yet, though that's really disheartening that they don't even have that. Do they want us to click on our buttons?!

flying_toaster
12.21.2011 , 07:26 PM | #27
One question I have, and I'm very serious, is: why the hell does anybody NEED dps meters? Or macros? Or anything else like that?

I have 10 years of MMO experience and I've played a bunch of them. EVE Online, Lord of the Rings Online, Darkfall, World of Warcraft amongst a multitude... And not ONCE have I used any add-ons whatsoever. The only tool I ever used was "Raid Target Assist" so I could easily target a group member's target. But that's it. I didn't need a tool telling me which one of my teammates my target was attacking, I just *gasp* looked at who it was attacking. I never needed a threat meter either. If the mob was attacking me, I was doing a good job tanking, if it wasn't, I wasn't. Same goes for DPS. I mean after spending 65 levels playing my burg in lotro, at some. Point I just KNOW how to maximize my DPS output. Sure, might be useful for perfecting it, but I would hardly call it an absolute necessity.

Would combat logs be fun? Yes, they could be useful. I don't like dps meters though. More customizable U is a win for everybody of course.

But none of your suggestions are absolute needs like you seem to put it. If I can play without those tools, you can too.

Sangnz
12.21.2011 , 07:31 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Zorke View Post
1. Dps meters - There needs to be a way to track dps. I'm not a math genius, so I can't keep track of the numbers as they fly by the screen and clock them into a spreadsheet for a 5 minutes span to see what my optimal rotation is. You can't figure out your full potential if you can't see your results.

2. Action bars - I have 2 in the middle, the 2 at the side are useless, why can't I just drag them to the center?! I use keybinds, but I've gotten so used to be able to actually see my spells without having to strain my neck to look over at them, that it's ubearable.

3. "Doodads" - This game is heavily based on the story/RP factor, yet...we can't sit in chairs? I have no drinking animation? There are no chat bubbles?

4.Global cooldowns - The GCD of all spells really needs to be lowered a little. If I'm not mistaken it's at a full second right now. It makes the combat choppy, when it wouldn't be otherwise. Lower it to .5 or even .75. Also, on a sidenote, my personal experience with spell that do not share GCD (interrupts/cooldowns spells), is that they just simply do not go off the first...second...or even third time I click them. I have to click like a lunatic to get it to even go off. I would have all these keybound btw, but my mouse is also apparently incompatable with the game.

Edit: 5. Target of target. There is far too much going on in any given group encounter that I can't possibly keep track of whether a mob is facing me or not, let alone if he is attacking me. I don't understand why this wasn't put in...I just don't.

TL;DR: I love the game, best pre-end game mmo experience I've ever had. However, if it's going to last, it is my PERSONAL opinion that it needs the above 5 changes.
1. Not needed, a good player will work out his "optimal rotation" regardless of dps meters being in or not.

2. Not needed, but would be nice to have moveable UI elements.

3. Not needed, would be nice to have but need... really?

4. Different game you need to give it time to become used to the feel of it, besides a couple of bugs I haven't felt clucnky playing yet

5. Actually agree with you on this ToT is very handy to have and I was surprised it wasn't in there.
Sang: Medic Operative
RoflStomp
Server: Dalborra

Rehtiz
12.21.2011 , 07:53 PM | #29
Damage meters. I found them very useful in a guild raiding enviroment, both to check on who was optimizing dps and who was not, also to check other information. Eg, someone complaining about not being healed enough, check their most recent death and see that they took damage from being in 'fire/other avoidable thing' and were healed, just the damage was too great. Looking at the numbers for damage meant nothing, looking at spells used compared to others of their class allowed comparisons, after taking into account gear level.

Addons like gear score I REALLY REALLY hope never come into the game, they penalise new players or those who have taken a break.

UI, i am currently healing, and sick to death of the UI, the inability to customise makes it hard to see what is happening around me, whilst keeping an eye on everyones health. There is no way i will heal any end game content that requires vision unless i can at the very minimum adjust positions for the bars.

Target's target. Well, being a sage i have a couple of interupts, of course if i got the tank targeted for healing i can't see the mob casting something it would be useful to interupt.

Zorke
12.21.2011 , 07:57 PM | #30
I'm sorry, but I've never met a good player in any mmo that didn't use damage meters. Good players will learn a good rotation, but you will never be 100% sure on min/max,

For example, I play a sith assassin tank. I'm not sure if using the force to use my Shock proc is actually worth it or not at higher levels.

Damage meters are needed if an mmo ever wants to be taken seriously in terms of PvE content. If you disagree, I'd like to know what's going through your head. Also, if you'd be so kind as to share your PvE experience from other mmos as well, that'd be most helpful and would shed some light on how you develop your opinion.

Edit: I THOUGHT I MADE THIS CLEAR. I APOLOGIZE THAT THE TITLE IS MISLEADING BUT I AM NOT SAYING WE NEED ADDONS. THIS IS NOT AN ADDON THREAD. I DON'T GIVE TWO ***** ABOUT DBM AND GEARSCORE.