At least SWTOR isn't as bad as STO

With all of the gripes that y'all have about SWTOR, I tried Star Trek Online. It's WAY worse than SWTOR. Y'all have it NICE compared to over there.. and, yes.. I signed up after Legacy Of Romulus was released... but this has been an ongoing problem.

In the 1 week I've played, I've experienced:

DAILY server reboots

MULTIPLE shard disconnects

They don't have individual servers. They run MULTIPLE MMO's on the same server

Lost characters

Launcher lockouts

When upgrading my skills, the game CRASHES to desktop

Rude community

Game bugs (what MMO doesn't???)

So when complaining how bad SWTOR is, remember... it could ALWAYS be worse!!

Edited by DoctorBeckett

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are also playing in a vastly inferior universe populated by an apathetic military state that is so bored with their misguided personal paradise that they jettison thousands of their people to the vast corners of the universe to find them something interesting to look at.

That's right, Trekkies, come get me.

:D

With all of the gripes that y'all have about SWTOR, I tried Star Trek Online. It's WAY worse than SWTOR. Y'all have it NICE compared to over there..

DAILY server reboots

Lost characters

Launcher lockouts

Rude community

You must have the perfect storm of bad MMO luck. As bad as that game is, it is not THAT bad all at once.

STO can be fun, as long as you don't play the week of a new major content patch.

That, aside from occasional shard maint, I'm having a blast blowing up Elachi and Klinks with my new Romulan. Tempted to ditch SWTOR for STO if they don't up the game in space content here. :rolleyes:

That, aside from occasional shard maint, I'm having a blast blowing up Elachi and Klinks with my new Romulan. Tempted to ditch SWTOR for STO if they don't up the game in space content here. :rolleyes:

Occasional? EVERY day/night it's been down... Granted, it's only been for 2 hours max..

I've never played STO, but, my experience in most MMOs is that the first week or two after a major launch is always the most buggy. And sometimes you're just that unlucky person that runs into all the worst problems.

I played it a couple of months ago. It's not a bad game exactly it's just that . . . well, to be blunt, TOR has instilled in me a certain sense of snobbery with regards to story presentation. I just could never go back to a game where the story is relayed to me in dialogue boxes or even animated cutscenes where NPCs just monologue at me while I stand there silently.

With all of the gripes that y'all have about SWTOR, I tried Star Trek Online. It's WAY worse than SWTOR. Y'all have it NICE compared to over there.. and, yes.. I signed up after Legacy Of Romulus was released... but this has been an ongoing problem.

DAILY server reboots

Lost characters

Launcher lockouts

Rude community

I also started playing STO again after the new expac was released. BUT from what i'm seeing the daily resets happens whenever there is a big content patch. As far as the other stuff i've never experienced any of that. Neither on my old Dell XPS or the PC i am on right now which is completely custom built. Not calling you a liar it's just strange. And about the rude community? nowadays every MMO community is like that. The game does have lag/latency issues. But then again SWTOR has the failure to fire and ability delay issues of its own.

I was actually excited for the new LoR patch to come out. But i suddenly lost interest when i started doing the missions with friendly ships and fleets helping you out. They gave some of the new NPC ships rediculously OP abilities, and the friendly AI still hasnt improved at all.

DAILY server reboots

Lost characters

Launcher lockouts

Rude community

Lol you based a game off of a massive expansion week? You know that everyone and their brother was trying to get online at once?

STO always had issues with mega releases.

The game is back to being stable...but continue with judging a game after it adds a large expansion / faction during a 1 week period... :rolleyes:

That's like assuming day 1 of launch of any MMO will equate to the exact same routine everyday until that MMO shutsdown...not sure where your logic is OP.

I will say this STO has insanely better space, graphics, and customization options than TOR will ever have in its lifespan. STO suffers from meh ground combat at the moment, but future Seasons will probably update it. Oh and their F2P = access to all (with the exception of credit cap, bank space) content in the game, not counting stipeds. Literally no difference playing wise.

Edited by Eillack

People talk about this game being rushed into production. You want to talk rushed? That game was rushed and had a brutal launch. Its an alright game. The space combat is pretty good but the rest of the game is pretty lacking.

I played it a couple of months ago. It's not a bad game exactly it's just that . . . well, to be blunt, TOR has instilled in me a certain sense of snobbery with regards to story presentation. I just could never go back to a game where the story is relayed to me in dialogue boxes or even animated cutscenes where NPCs just monologue at me while I stand there silently.

Same, I've been spoiled by SWTOR that I expect the story to be handled to be at least more like SWTOR now. of course if an MMORPG has much better gameplay for me compared to SWTOR then I'll play it but I haven't really seen an MMORPG that is really better than SWTOR by any great degree.

They are also playing in a vastly inferior universe populated by an apathetic military state that is so bored with their misguided personal paradise that they jettison thousands of their people to the vast corners of the universe to find them something interesting to look at.

That's right, Trekkies, come get me.

:D

Three words... Jar Jar Binks.

Twiki (with or without Dr. Theopolis), Muffet, and Wesley Crusher could form a boy band and do a Buck Rogers/BSG/Trek crossover tour, then crash on a remote asteroid, meet up with Doctoor Zee, and save themselves by making a spaceship out of random Cylon debris... and it would still be much less stupid than Jar Jar.

Welcome to Patch month in STO. I wouldn't expect any of the major bugs to be fixed until two or three months from now, if ever. The bright side, I didn't see a cactus in Cryptic's hand this time. Every time some kind of resource change comes into effect Cryptic pulls out a mighty cactus and proceeds to bend the playerbase over stating, "oh it's a minor change. Nothing to worry about at all."

I think the reaction to the removal of dilithium rewards from STFs was affecting their zen store income so badly they had to revert the change. Not like people didn't protest that change during the testing period but hey it was pushed live because the community doesn't know what they're talking about.

Kind of the story of Cryptic's life, push really buggy patches live with horrid changes that nearly everyone hates and do an Olympic gymnast back flip the moment it starts to hurt their zen store revenue.

Agreed. Story presentation is important to me.

Same, I've been spoiled by SWTOR that I expect the story to be handled to be at least more like SWTOR now. of course if an MMORPG has much better gameplay for me compared to SWTOR then I'll play it but I haven't really seen an MMORPG that is really better than SWTOR by any great degree.

Which is odd, as TOR has every intention to move their storyline into a traditional MMO storyline.

Only thing STO has going for it is the space combat. Space combat that, while not a true flight sim that some people want, works really well for a MMO.

If only BW would rework the space part of the game. I'd love to be able to leave the fleet and actually fly to other planets, maybe stopping to do a space mission for loot along the way. By space mission, I don't mean the on rails console crap we have now. The ground combat is decent for a MMO, but they really left the stars out of Star Wars.

I actually like STO but then again I played for a bit quite, played for a bit quit and just went back. I like the speed of combat and strangly enough the fact I am not just sitting there doing a powers rotation. Yes the lack of voice overs for lots of NPC's seemed naff originally I soon remembered this use to be how all MMO's worked. I suspect it has a short shelf life but for the moment I am enjoying playing my Gorn.

Twiki (with or without Dr. Theopolis), Muffet, and Wesley Crusher could form a boy band and do a Buck Rogers/BSG/Trek crossover tour, then crash on a remote asteroid, meet up with Doctoor Zee, and save themselves by making a spaceship out of random Cylon debris... and it would still be much less stupid than Jar Jar.

Welcome to my new signature. Thank you, sir!

Deep Space Nine.

That is what I say to that.