Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

XP Gain

Maniacfox
05.27.2013 , 12:51 PM | #1
I find it curious that I keep acquiring XP boosters (sitting in my bank), yet my issue with XP is the opposite; I already acquire it too quickly.

I always have to a skip a fair number of missions, or make a decision that I am going to play one planet properly and just skim through the class missions on another to avoid heavily overlevelling. I feel it would be more valuable to get a debuff that reduces the rate at which I gain XP.

Is it just me or do other people have the same issue?

HitokiriAkins
05.27.2013 , 12:58 PM | #2
While I disagree vehemently about the "getting xp too fast", you aren't the first person to want the xp gain nerfed.

I don't want that. I like being overpowered for the bosses I face in the single player story. I like feeling like a beast when I cut through my foes. I play RPGs for Avatar Strength, not strategy.

The only way to make players like yourself happy is an xp nerfing item on the cartel market. But I doubt it'd make a lot of money, since only a very vocal minority wants it.
Give me a duel autodecline, please!
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=583230

Rankyn
05.27.2013 , 01:32 PM | #3
I don't understand this whole "gain xp too quickly" thing.
If you want to do a piece of content, just do it.
There is absolutely nothing that will keep you from completing every single quest on a planet before you move on.

But you don't want to be over-leveled for it so it's more of a challenge?
Easy!
Take off your gear and don't train your new skills.

Nerf yourself.
There's no need to make BioWare do it for you just because you lack the dedication to follow through with it on your own.

johnhughthom
05.27.2013 , 01:41 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Rankyn View Post
I don't understand this whole "gain xp too quickly" thing.
If you want to do a piece of content, just do it.
There is absolutely nothing that will keep you from completing every single quest on a planet before you move on.

But you don't want to be over-leveled for it so it's more of a challenge?
Easy!
Take off your gear and don't train your new skills.

Nerf yourself.
There's no need to make BioWare do it for you just because you lack the dedication to follow through with it on your own.
I enjoy playing through as much PVE content as the game can throw at me, I also enjoy acquiring new equipment and upgrading and improving my character. These are both pretty staple parts of mmos, no?

If you do not understand people wanting to be able to play thie game this way, and still feel challenged by the game, then that's one thing, don't go around telling people it's a lack of dedication on their part that stops them from enjoying the game fully.

FWIW, i'd love to be able to nerf, or even stop xp gain temporarily, I would also love the ability to opt out of double xp weekends. I also realise I'm in a minority in wanting this, so understand it's unlikely to happen, and don't really have a problem with it.

Rankyn
05.27.2013 , 02:19 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
I enjoy playing through as much PVE content as the game can throw at me, I also enjoy acquiring new equipment and upgrading and improving my character. These are both pretty staple parts of mmos, no?

If you do not understand people wanting to be able to play thie game this way, and still feel challenged by the game, then that's one thing, don't go around telling people it's a lack of dedication on their part that stops them from enjoying the game fully.

FWIW, i'd love to be able to nerf, or even stop xp gain temporarily, I would also love the ability to opt out of double xp weekends. I also realise I'm in a minority in wanting this, so understand it's unlikely to happen, and don't really have a problem with it.
But see, that's just it... you say you want to upgrade and improve your character but that's exactly at odds with what you're trying to accomplish.
You want to upgrade your character but upgrading your character makes you too powerful for the content you want to experience.
So if you don't upgrade your character (don't train, don't get new gear) you don't get much more powerful and consequently the content remains a challenge.

If you nerfed your XP gain, you wouldn't be able to get new equipment anyway so I really don't see what the difference is.

johnhughthom
05.27.2013 , 02:33 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Rankyn View Post
But see, that's just it... you say you want to upgrade and improve your character but that's exactly at odds with what you're trying to accomplish.
You want to upgrade your character but upgrading your character makes you too powerful for the content you want to experience.
So if you don't upgrade your character (don't train, don't get new gear) you don't get much more powerful and consequently the content remains a challenge.

If you nerfed your XP gain, you wouldn't be able to get new equipment anyway so I really don't see what the difference is.

I don't really know how to answer this, all you have done is regurgitated your previous post, without really taking on board the points I made.

How would nerfing xp make a difference to what equpment I would get anyway?

Rankyn
05.27.2013 , 03:50 PM | #7
How would nerfing xp make a difference to what equpment I would get anyway?
Because the equipment you get is geared to your level.
If you don't progress in level, you can't get new equipment.
If you want to be perpetually stuck at level 12, you would never be able to get better gear than what was available at level 12 which is contrary to your desire to upgrade your gear and improve your character without gaining XP.

Icebergy
05.27.2013 , 04:57 PM | #8
You can do this already. Its called do the missions anyways even if they are grey.
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM
Jedi Covenant

AndasKastor
05.27.2013 , 05:40 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
You can do this already. Its called do the missions anyways even if they are grey.
I am afraid that you are missing the point. He (or she) would like challenging content at the level they are. As well as have a chance at improving gear at the same time.

Grey missions are not challenging and there really isn't a sense of accomplishment that comes from completing them.

Personally I prefer to be 2 -3 levels lower for my class quests and other content. This way I have a risk of dying and I have to pay attention to my rotation, positioning, etc.

It would be nice to be able to decrease the rate of experience up to and including opting out of the double xp experience. Obviously it must not be simple to do or they would have already implemented it.

Philmors
05.27.2013 , 05:43 PM | #10
You could always not use the XP boosts and not get the legacy xp perks for that character if you really want to slow yourself down you know.