Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

ETA on Advanced Class change?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion

SW_display_name
05.27.2013 , 02:36 AM | #1
So, the Species Change and Barber Shop mentioned in the Dulfy interview from months ago are finally realities. That's a good sign! It means the devs are actually serious about their "Yeah, we'd like to do that" statements.

In that same interview, it was mentioned that Advanced Class changes were also on the table and likely to happen. I'm curious if the community team can update us on whether there's any time-table for when this will be implemented.

Ideally, I'd love it to be a switch you can unlock, then flip any time — finally allowing me to Tank & Heal with one character.

But in reality I'm sure it will cost like 6000 Cartel Coins to unlock it, then another 2000 Cartel Coins every time you switch (discounted 3.2% for subscribers, of course) with a 2 month cooldown. Oh well, what can you do? As a start, I'd be happy just to have the option in-game, in any form.

So! Does BioWare have any upcoming plans for this that can be shared with us?

~~~

Edit: While I am proud of how much you are feeding the Dark Side with your blind anger and hate, and vehement vows of impossibility, let me remind you of (source):
Quote: Originally Posted by Dulfy and Damion Schubert
18. Will be there any faction or Advanced Class change option available for purchase in the future?

We have had serious talks recently about offering an Advanced Class change option – I think that one will likely happen eventually. Species is likely as well. Doing a faction switch is considerably more difficult for us, though, due to the various quest flags set throughout the level up process, so this isn’t on the horizon anytime soon.
We got the Species part. That makes the AC part also have a lot of credibility.

So anyway, any ETA or news, community team?

JPryde
05.27.2013 , 02:42 AM | #2
Quote:
Hopefully never... so like.. 2020... March.. 15th.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

aVmuse
05.27.2013 , 02:42 AM | #3
No, get this stupid notion out of your head. You are not going to be able to pay for your rerolling to the next fotm.

spectreclees
05.27.2013 , 02:46 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by aVmuse View Post
No, get this stupid notion out of your head. You are not going to be able to pay for your rerolling to the next fotm.
This. Why do people think it's okay to switch classes? They really screwed it up when they made the AC's. I knew this would happen. It was however, the only way to make sure each class had it's own story and you could play it from two perspectives.

AlexDougherty
05.27.2013 , 03:04 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SW_display_name View Post
So, the Species Change and Barber Shop mentioned in the Dulfy interview from months ago are finally realities. That's a good sign! It means the devs are actually serious about their "Yeah, we'd like to do that" statements.

In that same interview, it was mentioned that Advanced Class changes were also on the table and likely to happen. I'm curious if the community team can update us on whether there's any time-table for when this will be implemented.

Ideally, I'd love it to be a switch you can unlock, then flip any time — finally allowing me to Tank & Heal with one character.

But in reality I'm sure it will cost like 6000 Cartel Coins to unlock it, then another 2000 Cartel Coins every time you switch (discounted 3.2% for subscribers, of course) with a 2 month cooldown. Oh well, what can you do? As a start, I'd be happy just to have the option in-game, in any form.

So! Does BioWare have any upcoming plans for this that can be shared with us?
Quote: Originally Posted by aVmuse View Post
I wish people would drop this idea, if you want to see what the other advance class is, create a new Character, by the time you've learned how to play it effectively, you could have levelled it up to level 55 any way, and earned some Legacy levels. I personally hope EA never release it, and if they did I would want it to be 60,000 CC and another 60,000CC extra every time you switch.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Noblis
05.27.2013 , 03:16 AM | #6
Not gonna happen. Put it out of your mind.

You can't "mess up" building your profession in this game. You can re-spec your tree
if you don't like things. That is enough for most people.

Want a different AC? The solution is rolling an alt.
Hold up ! If we save Han now, there won't be anything for us to do at the beginning
of ROTJ !

Darth_Wicked
05.27.2013 , 03:17 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
Hopefully never... so like.. 2020... March.. 15th.
This and...

Quote: Originally Posted by Noblis View Post
Want a different AC? The solution is rolling an alt.
This.
Click here for a FREE character transfer and 7 days of subscription ( Referral Link )
Quote: Originally Posted by Revan and Meetra Surik
She was a great Jedi. My most trusted ally. History remembers her as the Exile. To me, she was... more.

Rankyn
05.27.2013 , 03:22 AM | #8
I don't see it as that big of a deal.
However, it's unlikely that it'll be any sort of "unlock" or "switch" that can be done like some sort of field respec.

I figure it's possible from a technical standpoint because Advanced Classes don't seem to hook too deeply into the system like Faction, base class, or gender do.
There aren't any storyline or companion changes that would need to be made.
Swap out one power set for another and you've changed advanced classes.
Sure, a lot of your equipment would be obsolete, but that'd be something you'd have to deal with on your own.

I'd expect it to cost about 1800cc which is the cost of a high-end cosmetic item and consistent with their policy of pricing things so that they can be paid for with just the subscriber stipend.
By making it 1800, that would place a limiting factor on it to once every 3 months without coughing up cash to do it more often.

jedip_enguin
05.27.2013 , 03:24 AM | #9
I rolled a Paladin but I want to be a Warrior now, wah wah let me pay money to convert so I don't have to level again.

Worst idea ever, last thing an MMO needs is class conversion, enough people already suck at playing the AC they have, never mind letting them change to another without having to level with it to learn the ropes.
I like big referrals and I cannot lie - http://www.swtor.com/r/Sh6HPh

SW_display_name
05.27.2013 , 03:28 AM | #10
OP edited to better upset cranky get-off-my-lawn haters!