Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What could make PVP more appealing overall?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
What could make PVP more appealing overall?

LordArtemis
05.25.2013 , 07:46 AM | #1
I have a few ideas. First I would like to cover a common request it seems...player bounties.

Player bounties (PVP server only)

Players would be able to go to a bounty box, submit a player's name and pay credits as a payout to whomever collects on the bounty. Player bounties can not be collected in sanctuary or non-combat areas. One bounty can be placed on a player every seven days. A seeker droid is required to learn of the location, and you must be on the planet where the bounty is located to detect it. Players are allowed to opt out of the bounty system, opt out has a 7 day cooldown. Opt-in gives a 10 percent XP bonus with PVP.

Bounties (PVE server)

Players would be able to go to an NPC bounty terminal and choose a daily bounty. This bounty would cause an NPC to spawn at the bounty coordinates when the player reaches the bounty location. A seeker droid is required to learn of the location, and you must be on the planet where the bounty is located to detect it.

Next up would be Galactic War rankings, PVE and PVP (and hybrid)

Galactic War ranking system - Single player open ranking system

This is a title and ranking board system. I have no idea what the rewards should be if any, but Ill continue.

PVP servers - Ranks

Corporal - 100 Player kills, 1000 flagged NPC kills that grant XP.
Sergeant - 250 Player kills, 2500 flagged NPC kills that grant XP.

Officer ranks, 2 percent health/energy buff

Lieutenant - 500 Player kills, 5000 flagged NPC kills that grant XP.
Captain - 1000 Player kills, 10000 flagged NPC kills that grant XP.

Elite Command ranks, 5 percent health/energy buff

Commander - 2500 Player kills, 25000 flagged NPC kills that grant XP.
General - 5000 Player kills, 50000 flagged NPC kills that grant XP.

Death by player causes a loss in count of kills, 1/10/100 for every rank teir back to beginning of rank count max...so say you were at Commander and you had 3000 players under your belt. You were killed three times. You would lose 300 kills and now be at 2700.

Total ranking, all accumulated kills minus loss adjustments would determine overall standing in ranking boards. Boards would be set per server, and the top three would receive special rewards.

PVE servers - Ranks

Ranks would be the same, but no health/energy boost would be rewarded for ranks.

Killing flagged NPCs would not count toward your PVP rank, nor would it effect your PVP rank if a flagged NPC kills you. Instead, an achievement system is used below and has a separate ranking board.

Otherwise it is the same.

GW rankings - Achievements - PVE server

This system would provide titles using the achievement system. Here the flagged NPC accumulated kills would count for the full amount, and non-flagged NPCs would count for half as long as they are factional to either Republic or Empire.

The ranking system would be the same as on a PVP server but you would not receive any buffs for rank increases.

A separate GW ranking board for PVE would be provided with total kills. Deaths against factional NPCs would also be counted against your score.

Hybrid Arena - Nar Shadaa

Both PVE and PVP players can compete. You can choose either to face real players or NPCs. NPC bouts lock out PVP flagged players from competing.

This is a small open battle arena. Players are ranked based on the following criteria...

Most healing done during the battle
Most damage dealt
Most damage received without dying
Most attacks avoided or parried
Most CC abilities used successfully (based on incapacitation time)

4 opponents, either 8 players or 4 players and 4 NPC bosses of increasing difficulty. Players get to choose which bosses to face, and leader boards keep track of which bosses or players you face and your results.

This option is balance locked to avoid Arena implementation pitfalls...any balance issues that exist are ignored. Players are required to learn how to adapt to imbalance on their own. There are no direct rewards for participation, other than perhaps reputation. Death causes no decay, nor do you "win" or "lose" the battle if you die or kill opponents.

Share you ideas. Thanks for reading.

justandulas
05.25.2013 , 01:22 PM | #2
This was a great read. Some of these suggestions would do a ton for SWTOR
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken. The force shall free me.
-Darth Justandulas

starcckwalker
05.25.2013 , 01:25 PM | #3
that would be fuc*ing awesome fo real !

LordArtemis
05.25.2013 , 11:21 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by starcckwalker View Post
that would be fuc*ing awesome fo real !
Thanks. I noticed that some other folks mentioned that perhaps daily and weekly caps should be in place. Does anyone have any suggestions to that end?

unicornfive
09.16.2013 , 02:36 PM | #5
Your ideas are nice, but i dont think they gonna work with the declining population of swtor at the moment.
WZs are already "crippled". Any more pvp activities will just seperate the population. For example : I think with the addition of Arena will drag the "top" players there for some weeks and the allready long wz queue will be longer. While the quality of them will severely drop. I heard they mentioned something about dropping the wz ftp restriction. If thats true, i hope it will be enough to save the wz queue times at least.

What needs to be done is a server consolidation first and then a PVP activity that will appeal to all. (personaly i dont think arena does)

A planet with open world pvp area and objectives, DaoC style(with bounties and NPCs) would be a nice move, but i dont think their game engine can support this.
Also, if that was possible, it would be a much better pvp experience than arena. Cause in an open world pvp area, you can have 1v1 fights, 2v2, 4v4, and something that 4v4 arena is restricted to, 4 vs 5+ fights (if your team is good).

LordArtemis
09.16.2013 , 04:34 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by unicornfive View Post
Your ideas are nice, but i dont think they gonna work with the declining population of swtor at the moment.
WZs are already "crippled". Any more pvp activities will just seperate the population. For example : I think with the addition of Arena will drag the "top" players there for some weeks and the allready long wz queue will be longer. While the quality of them will severely drop. I heard they mentioned something about dropping the wz ftp restriction. If thats true, i hope it will be enough to save the wz queue times at least.

What needs to be done is a server consolidation first and then a PVP activity that will appeal to all. (personaly i dont think arena does)

A planet with open world pvp area and objectives, DaoC style(with bounties and NPCs) would be a nice move, but i dont think their game engine can support this.
Also, if that was possible, it would be a much better pvp experience than arena. Cause in an open world pvp area, you can have 1v1 fights, 2v2, 4v4, and something that 4v4 arena is restricted to, 4 vs 5+ fights (if your team is good).
Oh I think an open style battleground DAoC style would be a big one. I personally think they could reduce polys on the player models (just for PVP), reduce particle effects overall, and implement a simplified GUI and the engine would have a much easier time handling the high amounts of players...similar to the SSSP GUI.