Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How I make over 20 mil a week without hardly trying

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
How I make over 20 mil a week without hardly trying
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthTHC
05.24.2013 , 07:11 AM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by Ancaglon View Post
Baseline crit for an orange difficulty is 10%, +5% for "Legacy of Crafting" maxed, +5% for affection maxed, +5% for synthweaving crit from ship droid sensor = 25%; with 10 trials, the binomial chance of getting 3 or more crits is actually 47%. If you don't have a +5% crafting crit bonus companion, but do have the rest, then it's 20% chance of a crit which is still a 32% chance of 3 or more crits.

To me, a 32% chance doesn't feel particularly "lucky" , much less 47%
OK now you're making me re-think some stuff.
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

DarthTHC
05.24.2013 , 07:12 AM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryenke View Post
You know, OP my crafting and selling everything I can't use on GTN brings me about 4 mil a week. And people would probably be surprised that I make lower end items aiming at levels 15 to 30 and price them at prices which bring me in a very good profit, but are still aimed to be affordable for newbies or alt leveling.

Since your post, I'm also trying to be smart about my companions and dip into your gathering and selling tips. Knowing that I can't log in all day long, I've been making sure to do the short - necessary for my crafting - missions while I AM playing but now the longer - gather for profit - missions are all cued up when I log out, or if I can log in mid-day. That and your tip to post for 12 hours or one day have made all the difference in less than a week. (And I don't yet have many companions to work with, because 4 out of 5 alts are below level 25.). But, taking your premise and working with what I do have - my profits have more than doubled. About 9 mil this week!

Thanks very much. One of my crafting markets ( my biggest profit maker til recently) is going to crash hard soon, I expect, due to some game changes post 2.0 and I'd been worrying some about how to keep credit coming in. Now I expect I will be more than fine.
This is awesome. I'm glad you found a way to adapt it to your personal style / availability. Lots of ways to skin this bantha.

Quote: Originally Posted by AdmiralOnasi View Post
I adopted this system a few days ago. I have three characters at or near level cap, two of them are biochems, only one has slicing, one has UWT not at max, and one has Archaeology. With my fairly gimped setup I've managed to make in the neighborhood of 500,000 credits the last three days. Once I build up a bit of a war chest, I'd like to level up the other crew skills on my lower level characters to really get the money flowing.

I know reading the long explanation in the OP can be overwhelming, but if you stick to rich missions with companions that get a bonus in that skill, and play the market smartly, you can make money without much effort.
Awesome! You're not on my server, right?
Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought. ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

Ryenke
05.24.2013 , 08:49 AM | #73
This is awesome. I'm glad you found a way to adapt it to your personal style / availability. Lots of ways to skin this bantha.

I'm glad it pleases you. I didn't take your post as a manual, rather some wisdom you have learned about what works in your circumstances and experiences. It is quite adaptable. For instance, I have TH crit pet at max affection and a UT crit at max affection. Those two markets don't work quite the same. Try posting a stack of 99 there and watch it sit, no matter how competitive the price. LOL.

My circumstances and server are different. The bottom dropped out on Thermal Regs far earlier than on your server for instance. When you posted ~40 for TR on your server, we were seeing ~27 on mine. I saw several for 20 yesterday. Also, because of my UT and TH crit pets, I'm more reliant on mission discoveries and rarely put them up for sale.

Things will be different for each person, they may not have taken the optimal skills when they set up their alts, they will have different server economies, etc. Personally, I would hate to give up crafting, but if the profits are not keeping ahead of the mat profits, I will do so. Take the time to learn the market generally, and your specialties particularly and one can use your good advice to adapt you system to one that suits playstyle.

Now the question I will face is how wealthy I want/need to be. Thanks again!

OmenQ
05.24.2013 , 01:37 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by ML_DoubleTap View Post
LOL! Hopefully we don't bump heads too much!
Damn, you're both on my server. Get off my lawn!
Squadron 157

<Your Companion> / <Unhinged>

ML_DoubleTap
05.24.2013 , 02:38 PM | #75
Maybe you should edit the OP to give really poor advice since there's three of us from TEH that are already in here

Another thing I've noticed in the last couple days is how much prices can fluctuate. Yesterday there was a really odd lack of Medical Grade Injectors all of a sudden...the blue Medical Supplies from Diplomacy. Usually these sell for about 1500-2k a piece, but yesterday during the drought I sold 10 stacks of 5 for 30k/stack Conversely if prices look to be exceptionally deflated I'll wait a few hours and check again after the cheap ones are gone.
<Proper Villians> Rhees Bonkurz

<Army of Light> Tann'se Siir Atone Askar Grills

DarthTHC
05.24.2013 , 02:55 PM | #76
Maybe you should edit the OP to give really poor advice since there's three of us from TEH that are already in here

Another thing I've noticed in the last couple days is how much prices can fluctuate. Yesterday there was a really odd lack of Medical Grade Injectors all of a sudden...the blue Medical Supplies from Diplomacy. Usually these sell for about 1500-2k a piece, but yesterday during the drought I sold 10 stacks of 5 for 30k/stack Conversely if prices look to be exceptionally deflated I'll wait a few hours and check again after the cheap ones are gone.
I had some full stacks posted at over 400k at that point. Don't recall if any sold though.

Yeah, sometimes it's luck, but it's always perseverance.

Aside: why are you posting those in 5's? Aren't they used in 4's? Should be 4, 8, 12, 20 or 24, 48, 99.

Another side: There's no rule against posting behind a lowballer. If you're the second lowest, you 're next to sell after that lowballer. Instead of undercutting him by 1 or 15 or whatever, undercut the NEXT lowest. I usually use shorter durations when I do this.

OmenQ
05.24.2013 , 03:02 PM | #77

Yeah, sorry about that, I forgot to list my Medical Grade Injectors yesterday. Glad you could profit off of my laziness.

All kidding aside, I find that it helps my cash flow and my sanity both, to "rotate" between which market segments I'm focused on from week to week. During all the double XP weekends, I sold almost exclusively low level mods and armorings. I made millions off of them, but now I kind of don't want to make any more for a while. I'll let my friendly rival have them for a bit. (Funny story about that. I made some mods, sold them for about 3.5-4k. They were then relisted for 4,500. I re-bought them and re-listed for 5k. All sold.)

At the moment, I'm selling stims, medpacks, implants, and grade 28 augments, armorings, and mods. Of course I snap up default listed items that I know sell reliably for much more, plus materials since I have so many right now. I love the Gree heroics as a scavenger, and the Section X Imperial dailies as a Biochem. It's like candyland.
Squadron 157

OmenQ
05.24.2013 , 03:05 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
I had some full stacks posted at over 400k at that point. Don't recall if any sold though.

Yeah, sometimes it's luck, but it's always perseverance.

Aside: why are you posting those in 5's? Aren't they used in 4's? Should be 4, 8, 12, 20 or 24, 48, 99.

Another side: There's no rule against posting behind a lowballer. If you're the second lowest, you 're next to sell after that lowballer. Instead of undercutting him by 1 or 15 or whatever, undercut the NEXT lowest. I usually use shorter durations when I do this.
Oh, that's my main strategy when I'm doing undercut sales. I either undercut the second or third lowest price, or I'll post my item right in the middle of the first page's price range.
Squadron 157

theStirge
05.24.2013 , 04:57 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
If you do take Archaeology, just don't waste your time gathering color crystals ever, because they're abundant and largely worthless at any level; stick to the nodes that give artifact fragments and power crystals.
A couple of things about this line in particular, since I've seen it repeated: 1) Color crystal nodes also give artifact fragments, so they're not completely worthless. This may be a recent change, as I don't remember them doing so when I first started, but I took a several-month hiatus, so I could be wrong. 2) Archaeology nodes are not static, aside from location. Any node, when it spawns, has a chance to be a color crystal node, so if no one ever collects the color crystals, eventually they'll all be color crystals.
The n'Sappho Legacy, The Harbinger
Zel'eena, 55 Combat Sentinel
Eleeta, 55 Medic Operative; Fer'eerra, 55 Lightning Sorcerer
All Chiss, all the time, all day, forever.

Heezdedjim
05.29.2013 , 06:08 AM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by Sefarad View Post
There is just this one little flaw in this... as in economy in general: the more people read and apply this, the less profitable it will be.
The upside is, if it means more people are more productive with their time in game, then we all get the things that we want cheaper.