Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What SWTOR PvP (and MMORPG PvP in general) can gain from imitating LoL/dota

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
What SWTOR PvP (and MMORPG PvP in general) can gain from imitating LoL/dota

SoupyNuggs
12.21.2011 , 04:15 PM | #1
Disclaimer: I am NOT saying SWTOR pvp should imitate LoL/DotA 100%, so take these comparisons saltily.

I'm at work so I'll forego a longwinded justification of my thoughts on this (believe me I can go deep), but I will say that LoL and Dota 2 are doing a lot of things right in terms of providing a good pvp experience (32 mill subs for LoL alone), and Bioware should consider implementing some general mechanics like:

-Player reporting system (afking, griefing, harassment, etc.)

-Matchmaking system based on statistical skill indicators: WL ratio, KA/D ratio, as well as rating

-Low priority bracket for players who consistently afk/grief/troll

-Tutorial-based gameplay for players new to PvP

There's gameplay mechanics in LoL and dota I'd love to see in SWTOR, too (killable NPCs and player attacking structures to name some) but these ideas would be too radical for a public forum like this. :]

JohnPina
12.21.2011 , 04:19 PM | #2
Great ideas, i 100% agree with the matchmaking system and i hope at cap it is better. however, i dont think they should push new Warzones to match LoL or even have similar ideas as the too in that aspect, just find new innovations to PVP like huttball and i will be happy. also some arena wouldnt hurt to see in a few patches
"You underestimate the power of the Dark Side!"- Darth Vader

"It's a trap!" - Admiral Ackbar

SoupyNuggs
12.21.2011 , 04:54 PM | #3
Unless I'm mistaken, there is absolutely 0 stat based matchmaking in warzones. Obviously, the game is still an infant, so there would really be no stats to MM around, but I think it is crucial for devs to place a MM system in at some point if they are serious about good PvP gameplay.

LoL and dota are probably some of the finest examples of balanced pvp gameplay that is based to some extent on rpg hero mechanics. And they both rely heavily on matchmaking algorithms that factor in player win/loss, kill/death ratio, and also to some extent roles played. What that means is a player who statistically prefers to play high dps agility carries will be matched with other players who play differing roles, like casters/support/tanks/initiators.

Doki
12.21.2011 , 05:01 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SoupyNuggs View Post
Disclaimer: I am NOT saying SWTOR pvp should imitate LoL/DotA 100%, so take these comparisons saltily.

I'm at work so I'll forego a longwinded justification of my thoughts on this (believe me I can go deep), but I will say that LoL and Dota 2 are doing a lot of things right in terms of providing a good pvp experience (32 mill subs for LoL alone), and Bioware should consider implementing some general mechanics like:

-Player reporting system (afking, griefing, harassment, etc.)

-Matchmaking system based on statistical skill indicators: WL ratio, KA/D ratio, as well as rating

-Low priority bracket for players who consistently afk/grief/troll

-Tutorial-based gameplay for players new to PvP

There's gameplay mechanics in LoL and dota I'd love to see in SWTOR, too (killable NPCs and player attacking structures to name some) but these ideas would be too radical for a public forum like this. :]
Player reporting system -- I think one is already in place, as I just read another thread about someone reporting another user for AFKing, though I've never had to use it myself, so I don't even know where the button/control is for this. If its not good enough right now though, I'm sure this will be one of the first things that gets fixed.

Matchmaking system -- This is currently based off your Valor ranking, so the more experienced (valor-ed) people get put together in theory. Don't know how this is in practice since its still day two of launch, but I think this works just find, since the KA/D ratio and WL ratio may not indicate actual skill (ie healers will have a much smaller KA/D ratio than non-healers if everything is running as it should be)

Low priority bracket for players who consistently afk/grief/troll -- Works for me, though I'd rather see a PvP/game ban instilled for this behavior rather than a drop in priority bracket. Why torture fewer people with this player when you can torture noone

Tutorial-based gameplay for players new to PvP -- 100% back this.
Quote:
As for Scoundrels having no tools for short burst healing, we donít agree with that assessment. A scoundrel, for example, is capable of producing rather significant burst healing output by using Upper Hand gained from Underworld Medicine or Kolto Injection to trigger an instant Emergency Medpack or Surgical probe when needed.