Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

User Interface improvements: What's your wishlist?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
User Interface improvements: What's your wishlist?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

SW_display_name
05.23.2013 , 09:48 AM | #1
As far as MMO default UIs go, I think SWTOR is actually pretty awesome. Between the basic design and the Interface Editor, I'm impressed with how comfortable I've been able to make my UI in a game with no AddOns.

Still, nothing's perfect and there's some minor fixes here and there I'd love to see. I hope this falls under the general umbrella of their philosophy of "Quality of Life" improvements moving forward — that the UI is part of the overall tweaking process they're committed to continuing with each update.

Rather than a million tiny threads on individual components, I think a catch-all approach for UI requests might be easier to deal with as a feedback tool. Given that, here's what I'd like to see "fixed" or improved:

~~~

Warning boxes — Many warning boxes still lack a toggle for "OMG, I know!!!", such as:
  • I know that listing an item on the GTN will prevent it being sold back to the vendor for a refund
  • I know that mailing an item to my alt will prevent it being sold back to the vendor for a refund
  • I know that putting mods in an item will bind it to me
This can make large-scale actions that trigger a warning box feel annoying, with a lot of repetitive "OK" clicking.

Chat window
  • Allow "Invite to Guild" option on right-click of names in chat windows. Currently, this only works if the person is in your group. It can make ginvites awkward when people have göófy characters in their name.
  • Change the "Your report has been sent" Spam Report pop-up into a text system message in the chat window. The pop-up can be very distracting, especially when it steals focus while you're in combat or otherwise occupied.

Vendors
  • Add a "Useable by Companion" filter to complement the "Useable by Me" drop-down on, eg, Commendation vendors. This would help quickly finding eg, that 1 item out of 60 which is a Techblade.

Interface Editor
  • Toggle to make frames "snap" to each other's edges in editing mode, for easier alignment/positioning of elements (such as the Group frames)

Buffs and debuffs
  • Option to prioritize displaying YOUR buffs / debuffs first, before others
  • Option to enlarge YOUR buffs / debuffs relative to others
  • Option to filter out buffs / debuffs YOU did not apply

Operations frame:
  • Allow more than 4 buffs to be displayed
  • Allow filtering-out of long-duration or otherwise useless-to-see buffs (eg, Force Valor)

Focus frame:
  • Allow a "Target of Focus" frame like the "Target of Target" frame. This is something really useful to know, especially when healing!

Group Finder
  • Time in queue & estimated queue time remaining

Skill Tree
  • Ability to save pre-set Skill Tree layouts (using Field Respec at later levels to switch roles for FPs/Ops/WZs involves a lot of tedious OMG-I-know-this-by-heart clicking to reconstruct familiar builds)

Suilebhain
05.23.2013 , 09:56 AM | #2
I'd like to see the option of adding a third horizontal action bar.

JPryde
05.23.2013 , 10:07 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Suilebhain View Post
I'd like to see the option of adding a third horizontal action bar.
Erm... what game are you talking about ? I am using 3 horizontal action bars (12x1) and 2 additional 4x3 bars for 6 months now.

Only thing I am really missing on the UI is the ability to position proc-effect-buffs away from my char in the middle of my view and large.... real large.

(from below: )
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
Are you serious? The default U.I. in SWTOR looks absolutely atrocious. The worst I've seen in any game, ever.
Funny, to me that was the WoW-interface, when I tested WoW for 12 days (after that, I needed two eye implants, as my old eyes were burned away by the technicolor rainbow psychedelic assault)... maybe I was missing one of the gazillion of add-ons that seem to be required to play it ?
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

Machine-Elf
05.23.2013 , 10:07 AM | #4
Are you serious? The default U.I. in SWTOR looks absolutely atrocious. The worst I've seen in any game, ever.

SW_display_name
05.23.2013 , 10:16 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
I disagree. It's very well-made, in my opinion, conveying most of the information you need with surprising clarity. Especially compared to eg, WoW's UI which seems basically designed to make new players fail without extensive modification.

I think it's a "curse" of MMO UIs that the default will always feel a little clunky or extraneous, but I'm honestly very happy with SWTOR's approach. It just needs some tweaking here and there. WoW's default, on the other hand, needs to be shelled down to the bedrock and rebuilt as something remotely comprehensible.

Rankyn
05.23.2013 , 10:20 AM | #6
Import/Export keymap.

Thundergulch
05.23.2013 , 10:27 AM | #7
A hotbar skill memory from when you respec to a different build would be nice.
That way I wouldn't have to change a couple of skills around when swapping builds.
It's a minor annoyance I agree, but it would be a nice feature to have.

caronome
05.23.2013 , 10:32 AM | #8
Import/export keymap and talents.

Buffs/debuffs: mine larger/first
Remove or remove in combat or even make first/last long term buffs (4 class buffs, stim, xp boost,...) so I can see the omgmegabuffDPS buff proced or the cleanse-them-or-they-die debuff is on someone I am healing. Bigger/different location,red border, some way to tell the interesting from the mundane buff/sdebuffs. Even something like "make much smaller buffs with a max of > 15 minutes" would help winnow the wheat from the chaff.

Target of focus frame and keybind

EricMusco
05.23.2013 , 10:47 AM | #9 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
I really wish that SWTOR would add visible mission rewards! You know, like the ability to see what your experience gains, credits, and items will be from completing a mission!

I really hope this happens with Game Update 2.1.1 too!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

ML_DoubleTap
05.23.2013 , 10:49 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
I really wish that SWTOR would add visible mission rewards! You know, like the ability to see what your experience gains, credits, and items will be from completing a mission!

I really hope this happens with Game Update 2.1.1 too!

-eric
Love this post.

Not necessarily cuz that is a huge feature I desire...but it's a fun way to communicate upcoming features with the community! Keep it up!
<Proper Villians> Rhees Bonkurz

<Army of Light> Tann'se Siir Atone Askar Grills