Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I miss the days when MMOs were wonderous...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
I miss the days when MMOs were wonderous...

Duckfather
05.23.2013 , 08:01 AM | #161
My first was UO, which I remember fondly. Although largely because I was a non-combatent (I was a master blacksmith) and it was very rare I got 'ganked' and also because I actually got offered a real life job in game by a female elf! (The person involved couldn't contact me by phone as I was dialed up, so logged onto UO, found me and offered me a job from there!)

EQ was my favourite though. It was simply the pure size of the place and the lack of fast travel (apart from wizards who could gate you for a price). I created quiet a few characters, leveled them to lvl 11 (where I could use a very basic invisibility spell with a really long cooldown) and then run them from one coast of Antonica to the other. A successful run would take well over an hour (with at least one rest period because night time was so dark you couldn't see a foot in front of you!). And it was very dangerous! The chances of getting through were about 50/50, although most of these characters were disposable as they were made just for this type of run.

I found tons of interesting things during these runs. Met loads of interesting people. Got killed in some very interesting ways too. There's nothing that is of a similar size with similar accessability issues or similar reasons to even attempt such a treck these days unfortunately, and the MMO world is a much diminished place for it. I went back to EQ a few years back, only to find that it too had 'shrunk' and had fast travel.
My world died a little that day

Lostpenguins
05.23.2013 , 08:34 AM | #162
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
Back in the day when MMOs were still pretty new, I got into Everquest and it seemed amazing. The world was huge and had tons of places to explore. There were endless things to do. When you got to endgame, you actually felt powerful, like you had accomplished something. I would print out spell lists and maps and had them organized in a big folder super-geeky style. I took that game as srs bsns.

This thread is not to bag on SWToR or how to talk about how other games are better. I am here to ask you guys what you think is missing. I know that there are a lot of you who were blown away by Everquest or (insert your first big MMO here). What did they have that brought that sense of amazement?

Was it that we were new to it? Are we just burned out and jaded? Maybe even OLD and jaded? Is there anything that could be brought to SWToR to being a sense of wow (no pun intended) and amazement?
For me I think what's missing are two things I cannot get back:
1) First-time nostalgia
2) Free time

I remember how excited I was playing WoW beta and leveling my first character in Vanilla. I remember the excitement of being in my first raid and killing my first raid boss.

This isn't ToR's fault... I just don't have the time or drive to raid 4-5 nights a week for 4-5 hours. And even if I did and there was that much raiding content to do... I wouldn't have as much fun. But that's because the "newness" is gone. There's always a little excitement when doing a new operation or killing a new boss, but that's all anymore. Now it's mainly about the people I run the ops.

Spatology
05.23.2013 , 08:36 AM | #163
You aren't a child anymore. Congradulations.

Quraswren
05.23.2013 , 08:48 AM | #164
I miss the days when developers made games for the enjoyment of the gamers. They were fun to play.

The games sold, made money and had player retention cause they were an enjoyable experience. The money came cause the games were good.

Now, it's create a generic game and see how much money we can make.

Repman
05.23.2013 , 09:49 AM | #165
My first MMO was Star Wars Galaxies, it felt so huge, so open, you could level your skills anywhere it seemed as your character didn't have a level but your skills did. I remember creeping through Dathomir scared a Nightsister would one shot me lol meeting people in cantinas while watching players dance, ah remember when MMOs had non combat classes? Going to Corillia and standing in a long line for a Doctor buff. The game was cool until...I located my first Holocron, then the mindless grind, grind was on...

My most memorable moment in any MMO, or heck game for that matter, was while in a cantina on Naboo I learned Master Image Designer and saw..

"You begin to feel attuned with the power of the Force. Your Force sensitive character slot has been unlocked." flash across the screen

When SWG first came out you were only allowed one character slot, I was excited. I went to the character creation screen and it was like starting all over LOL noob human with noob clothes, only difference was it had green Jedi holocrons floating around the character creation screen.

For a while I felt unique as I'd only saw ONE Jedi Initiate and heard about a few Padawans running around. Then I learned about perma-death and found out why no one sees Jedi lol a re-roll later and no one saw me until I was a full template Jedi lol

Andryah
05.23.2013 , 10:00 AM | #166
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
Back in the day when MMOs were still pretty new, I got into Everquest and it seemed amazing. The world was huge and had tons of places to explore. There were endless things to do. When you got to endgame, you actually felt powerful, like you had accomplished something. I would print out spell lists and maps and had them organized in a big folder super-geeky style. I took that game as srs bsns.

This thread is not to bag on SWToR or how to talk about how other games are better. I am here to ask you guys what you think is missing. I know that there are a lot of you who were blown away by Everquest or (insert your first big MMO here). What did they have that brought that sense of amazement?

Was it that we were new to it? Are we just burned out and jaded? Maybe even OLD and jaded? Is there anything that could be brought to SWToR to being a sense of wow (no pun intended) and amazement?
Remember when CDs were wonderous? And CD-Roms? And a 500mhz Pentium Processor? And a plain old cell phone?

As technology advances, wonder wears off and becomes commonly accepted. Same with games, MMO or otherwise.

Players tastes are now largely acustomed to what was once wonderous.

SWTOR is amazing, for what it is, IMO. Some people agree, some do not. It's amazing if for no other reason then.....there are no elfs, orcs, or trolls (except in general chat and the forum )
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

_biddan_
05.23.2013 , 10:08 AM | #167
this was my first subscription based MMO,the first time i played it i was using a jedi knight,it was back in february i think,i was a hugeeee noob,i always forgot to buff,i forgot about shi-cho form's existance until something like lvl 10,but the feeling was so different,coruscant,tython,that amazing feeling when i found my first piece of heavy armor (it was trooper armor but who cares it was heavy armor!) while doing the esseles with my friend (who was a lvl 24 vanguard back then),my first warzone was a voidstar,i was a lvl 13 guardian without sprint,lol,we lost but i saw all the kills i did,something like 20 (i tought it was really the amount of kills i did) and i felt powerful.
sometimes when i walk in the senate tower and the music starts i feel like my first days here,this game is still great,and it will be great for a long time,long live swtor.
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Caesar Legacy
Legacy lvl 50

xandax
05.23.2013 , 10:12 AM | #168
Nostalgia and first impressions and wonder are powerful emotions.

My first where DAoC and while I clearly and vividly remember the annoyances as well, it does stand out for me as the 'best' MMO experience.
And that's partly nostalgia and partly because it was my first experience in MMOs.
For others it was EQ, UO, SWG - heck even WoW for many.

Such experiences will always cloud the following experiences and is one of the very difficult things for new MMOs to overcome.
The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.

AlienEyeTX
05.23.2013 , 10:15 AM | #169
Quote: Originally Posted by Duckfather View Post
My first was UO, which I remember fondly. Although largely because I was a non-combatent (I was a master blacksmith) and it was very rare I got 'ganked' and also because I actually got offered a real life job in game by a female elf! (The person involved couldn't contact me by phone as I was dialed up, so logged onto UO, found me and offered me a job from there!)

EQ was my favourite though. It was simply the pure size of the place and the lack of fast travel (apart from wizards who could gate you for a price). I created quiet a few characters, leveled them to lvl 11 (where I could use a very basic invisibility spell with a really long cooldown) and then run them from one coast of Antonica to the other. A successful run would take well over an hour (with at least one rest period because night time was so dark you couldn't see a foot in front of you!). And it was very dangerous! The chances of getting through were about 50/50, although most of these characters were disposable as they were made just for this type of run.

I found tons of interesting things during these runs. Met loads of interesting people. Got killed in some very interesting ways too. There's nothing that is of a similar size with similar accessability issues or similar reasons to even attempt such a treck these days unfortunately, and the MMO world is a much diminished place for it. I went back to EQ a few years back, only to find that it too had 'shrunk' and had fast travel.
My world died a little that day
So much truth here.

Just imagine how different this game would feel if we weren't directed to exactly the place we needed to be. If we had to wander around to find mission objectives, the world would grow in wonder. As it is, it's so easy to stay on the main path and ignore everything until you reach the triangle on the map.

Bring back the wonder by bringing back exploration.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
thank AlienEyeTX for being ridiculously good at this game:

-eric

Hyfy
05.23.2013 , 10:31 AM | #170
I remember my first "WOW" moment playing an MMO. I was playing DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online), I was in my first raid group doing the Vault of Night series and we had just got to the last part of the 6 part series and you step in and your on a platform literally miles and miles above the planet, a large red dragon waiting for you to approach. You step forward and she launches herself in the air above the center of the platform breathing fire contrasted by the blackness of space and stars behind her. It was so over the top and mind blowing visuals. That is what is missing from parts of the game. The story is there but there is at times nothing or not enough visually there to just put you in awe. Make you look around and say "one wrong step and I'm done". Moments that make you feel like you really are a hero so to speak.
US. ARMY Military Police Corps

Sarcasm, a bodies natural defense against stupid